Don't Store Root Vegetables While On Vacation

Don't go on a vacation and leave potatoes and onions in the pantry. I must warn people to remove these before departing. I came back to a terrible smell in my house and it took me all morning to remove it. Nothing smells worse should they go bad before you get back.

By nelliemary from WV

By BellaNell (Guest Post)

NEVER store potatoes and onions near each other! They will keep forever---well, maybe not that long, if stored in separate areas. My Mom kept onions in a metal coffee can under the sink and potatoes in a bin in the cereal/dry goods area. She never had a problem.

You might use a plastic dishtub under them, cheep from thrift shops. Even a careful person can have a bottom one get bad before the others.

We came back from a small 4 day vacation with a ghastly odor coming from the potatoes. One was actively oozing. Yiich! The smell was awful. Took hours for it to clear out.

Food and Recipes StorageOctober 10, 2008
📓
🌻
🎂