CarpetCleaning

Dog Urine Fishy Smell

Category Carpet

How do I get rid of the fishy smell from my carpet after my mastiff bitch peed on it? - ian

I've heard that you can use either pine sol or bleach (dilute it enough w/H20 so that you don't bleach out your carpet). not sure as I will be doing something along those lines myself... the new house that we've moved into, the carpet smells like animal pee....blech!

Pine Sol should work..but also check that your dog is ok? Fishy smelling pee doesn't sound good...

Soak up as much urine as possible with old towels or thick rags. Then heavily spray vinegar on the carpet. Test an area of the carpet to make sure it doesn't affect the carpet color. Blot up with old towels. Depending on how much urine, depends how long you have to blot. It never hurts to blot too much. After you think most of it is soaked up, cover with more towels or thick rags, and put something heavy on it. We keep some wieights from an old weight bench for this. Depending on the humidity also depends on how long this will take. I change the towels/rags every day for a week until I know it is definitely clean and dry. This takes a while but it's the only thing that works for me. Thank goodness it doesn't happen too often. Also, check with your vet about the odor, there may be a problem. If this is unusual for her to have an accident, she may be sick. Good luck.

What works for me is 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide, and a dash of dish soap- once it stops foaming blot it - either shampoo the area or wait until completely dry and vaccume... hope it works for you too cause it's not a pleasant smell, I know from experience!

I worked for a vet and sometimes when a bitch came in with that smell she had a infection of the valva. You may want to get her checked. You can use cream they make for women that is over the counter for it. I have a bitch that I have had the same thing and the creamed worked. I know it's hard to keep them from licking but the cream did work.

My dog smells a bit fishy and had a little bit of discharge. The discharge seems to have stopped but she is off her food. Is this an infection? She is also nearly six month now and was wondering if she was coming into season?