Adjusting Waistbands

Category How To
Whether it's a growth or weight issue, often times clothes need adjustment at the waist. This guide is about adjusting waistbands.

This comes in handy for those times when you just ate and need a little more room in your pants. All you have to have is a small rubber band loop it through the opening and then it makes a loop for you to put on your button of your pants. So easy to do.

By Teresa L S. from Greensburg, KY

I just lost weight and pants were so loose as to be uncomfortable and not fit right. Not using a sewing machine nor hand stitching the waistband, I hand sewed a button with shank to the waistband at the point that would tighten as desired.

Then I added a short chain (like a key chain) looped around the new button, twisted the chain and slid it over the original button, forming another loop/"S". This little fix made the fit about 2.5" tighter. The elastic hair bands "give" or stretch to much for tightening. Try it out.

Source: Necessity is the mother of invention

If your trouser or skirt waistband is a bit too tight, tie a pony tail band to the button hole and loop it onto the button to fasten.

Top Comment

This trick can be used to turn regular pants and jeans with a front zipper that fit in the legs, hips and rear into maternity pants. Start with the small size hair rubber bands, and as you grow larger, switch to the headband size. As long as they fit except for your belly, you can wear them. I used to teach at a school for pregnant teens, most of whom had little money to spend on maternity clothes. Long tees and tunic tops covered the gap where the zipper was. I also used this tip during my pregnancy with my daughter. Resume wearing them as per usual when your stomach goes down in size. Saved me money when my husband was going to grad school and we had one income, mine.

To extend the waist a little bit on a pair of pants, take a rubber band and attach it to a button hole. Bring the rubber band through the hole and bring it back through its own "loop" to secure it. The button you your pants will now go through the loop on the rubber band.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

A slightly stretchy shoelace at least 12 inches larger than your waist is a great way to cinch up a slightly sagging waistline. It's also super comfortable for traveling or sitting for long periods of time - no buckle to dig into your tummy and no bulge under fitted shirts. Just tuck the lace tie into your waistband.