Adjusting the Temperature in a Refrigerator

Refrigerator
Your refrigerator has a control that allows you to increase or decrease the temperature for proper cooling. This is a guide about adjusting the temperature in a refrigerator.

I hope someone can help me. I have an older Kenmore fridge, maybe 15 years old. It works great, but I have lost the owner's manual. I want to turn down the temperature in the fridge part. It has a manual dial from 1 to 7. Do I turn the dial to a higher number or a lower number to make it colder? It's very confusing.

Thanks!

By Amelia B.

Try searching here for a free manual for your model.

http://www.mana  mexServices_Menu

7 is the coldest. 1 is the warmest.

You can always put a thermometer in the fridge, and move it one setting at a time and check the thermometer. this works well to see if the settings are off any or set correctly

I have a Kenmore. As the numbers go up, it gets colder

I have a Kenmore, model 598.628242 with a bottom freezer and top fridge. If the freezer control was accidently in the OFF position, does that keep the refrigerator from working also? Everything in the freezer was defrosting and the refrigerator was warm. I don't have a manual and don't know where the controls should be set on the fridge and freezer. I noticed on the freezer control what looked like a little fridge icon. Does it have to be set beyond that icon for it to affect the fridge?

Kenmore has many of the manuals on their website. but, I don't see one for the model you listed. Are you sure you have the right model number?? go into a place that sells them, such as Lowe's or Home depot and talk to one of the sales people. They have the books loaded on their computers and can probably help you as well.

I have a Kenmore side by side. The controls are completely separate. One side may be fine even if there is an issue with the other side.

We have had a side by side refrigerator for the past 2 years. I can't say I like it, because it is much smaller in capacity than our previous one which had the freezer on the top.

Previously I had the freezer portion and the refrigerator even in temperature. For the past month of more, I lowered the freezer portion to 1-1/2 and everything is rock solid.

Can anyone explain this to me? I hate to spend the money on the service call from Sears if something can be done by us.

Thanks for your help.

By Rosalie

Answers

I guess I don't understand your problem. You say your freezer is freezing everything rock solid and you don't want to pay for a service call. To me, that sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do.

You should have a separate freezer control. Everything should be rock solid except ice cream. If ice cream is too hard, raise the temperature a little. If things are too soft then you may need a new thermostat.