Adjusting Microwave Door Hinges

Category Microwave
Adjusting the hinges on small appliances such as a microwave may occasionally be necessary. This is a guide about adjusting microwave door hinges.

Does anyone know how to adjust the door hinges on a Frigidaire Microwave oven Mod# FMV156DB,DS,DQ,Em. The oven doesn't work unless I raise the door manually once its closed.

bufcopper from Buffalo, NY

Answers

Best Answer

The only safe answer is to take the oven to a shop that repairs these ovens. If the door is crooked enough that it's not engaging the interlock properly when shut, you likely have a microwave leak too. Nuke the food, not your face.

Best Answer

My microwave oven only works if I push the door up 1/2 millimeter. Packaging tape across the gap holds the door in the "sweet spot". This is certainly due to a loose or defective latch sensor, not the door. One of two switches may be bad - same part number: 5304440026, which is an Omron "D3V-16G-3C25" micro switch. The Panasonic substitute is J61414T00AP. Also see: Google.com/shop for prices and vendors.

Is there any way to adjust a microwave door to keep it from swinging shut once it's open? It's an Electrolux over the range microwave oven.

Answers

Have you checked to see if it is setting level? That is often the case with a refrigerator door that will not stay open.

• Since it is an over the range unit I would think you could check from the inside as it may be "leaning" to the back (front slightly higher) so the door cannot stay open.
  • There should be some sort of adjustment screws on the frame that holds the unit.
  • If this is a new unit then whoever installed it should be called to fix it.
  • If this is not the case, you could try calling your local Sears Repair Service and ask what could be the problem. (The unit did not have to have been purchased from Sears.)

Is this something recently that is happening, or it's always happened?I wonder if the latch is broken.

It sounds like you need new springs

You might need a new door latch assembly

I have the same problem with my front-loading washing machine, and it certainly is a nuisance when putting clothes in or taking them out. Sometimes it's just the nature of the appliance or built that way to conserve energy (closed door = internal light turns off).

My solution was to attach a bungee cord (dirt cheap at the dollar store) to the cupboard beside the washer and just hook the loose end to the door when I need it to stay open for a few minutes: easy to attach / detach, easily removable - entirely - when not needed (it is a bit unsightly).

it sounds like this is how the appliance is set to operate. Sounds to me like the door latch is not an issue because if it were you would not be able to CLOSE the door and cook your food.

It is possible that you could somehow adjust the springs as someone said. In any event here's an instruction manual on how to adjust/fix the door www.manualslib.com/.../Electrolux-E30mo65gssa.html?page...