Microwave Says 'Child' on Display

Many brands of microwave ovens have a built in child lock that is activated if the start button is pushed several times. This is a page about microwave says "child" on display.

I suppose this is only a funny tip on dealing with your microwave without losing your mind. A couple nights ago, I innocently pushed the 'Start' button as usual, when the screen suddenly said "Child." After staring at it dumbfounded for about a minute, hubby was called in to see if I might be mis-reading it. Nope, still said "Child."

I took a photo, reset it again, and now it's back to only numbers. And no, before you ask, it does NOT say 'Potato' when I try to cook one. That's just disturbing! It's never shown letters of the alphabet before.

Haven't a clue what it meant by that message, but I had the strangest feeling my over-used microwave just insulted me somehow. However, if it starts calling me 'Mom" I'm going back to using the stove.

By Mary LaCaze from Mountain Pine, AR

Editor's Note: We did a little research and it sounds like the child lock was accidentally activated. This is usually done by hitting the start button 3 or 4 times, depending on your model.

Top Comment

I had never heard of this before, so out of curiosty, I pushed the start button on my micro-wave three times. Sure enough the display said "Child". I immediatly realized I didn't know how to "undo" what I had just done. After trying a couple of things, I pushed the stop/reset button three times and the display reverted back to the clock setting. I've never read my manual and didn't even know this "child safety" feature was on my micro-wave. I guess you're never to old to learn.

My Panasonic microwave is stuck on some kind of child lock. How do I get it back to normal?

Answers

Press the stop button three times.

I had an older Panasonic and you had to click the start button 3 times (with no time set). The key will appear and it's locked, if you did the same and the key went off it was reset to normal. Hope it works out for you!

Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 1, 2017
🎃