I put some 4 envelopes in the microwave to loosen the postage stamps to reuse. The envelopes caught on fire and the smell is awful. I have an open house tomorrow to sell my house. Ouch. Help.
By Maggie from White Lake, MI
I have great 3 suggestions for you:
1) Put 1 part white vinegar (or any kind of vinegar) into 4 or 5 parts of water & microwave this until it boils & starts to produce steam, then open the microwave door so the steam from the vinegar-water goes out all over the kitchen & rest of the home... Believe it or not, vinegar removes odors! ...If your microwave still stinks, simply keep the microwave door shut & boil for a minute or 2 so the steam will penetrate the inside of the microwave. Do this at least 2 or 3 hours before your guests arrive, not right before or the house will smell like vinegar!
2) Run out & buy yourself some vanilla Febreze room or fabric spray & spray it all over your furniture & carpeting because the burnt smell may have gotten into the rugs & upholstered furniture.
3) Instead of using smelly room sprays that many people hate, right before your guests arrive turn your stove burner on to low then sprinkle a tiny bit of plan ground cinnamon powder directly on to the burner then immediately turn the burner off. The cinnamon will make your home smell like you've been baking! Yummy!
* A NOTE: Be sure the cinnamon powder does not contain any sugar!
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
Does anyone have a tip on how to remove a horrible smell from the microwave and kitchen? My daughter tried to cook noodles in a plastic bowl and forgot to add water.