Getting Rid of Odors in an Outdoor Kennel

Category Odors
Outdoor kennels often are erected on the dirt. Urine and feces odors in the soil can be difficult to remove. Even if the kennel has a concrete floor special cleaning may be required. This is a guide about getting rid of odors in an outdoor kennel.

We have a very small kennel run and cannot thoroughly clean it with water but once a week at best. We really hate using chemicals, but would like to find something natural and very safe for our kids. What do you know that we don't?

By grannylovesme

Answers

Best Answer

I would hose it out really well, then pour a bleach and water mixture all over the kennel, let it sit, then rinse well and allow to dry. Good luck.

Best Answer

Use white vinegar mixed with water. I clean up after my dogs with it all the time.

Best Answer

Get some average amount of coal and keep it near the crate in a dry place. After some hours it sucks the smell totaly! Chemical free! Low cost! Effective!!

I have an outside kennel with a dirt and grass floor. Is there any product that I can use that is safe for my 2 dogs that will help or eliminate the urine and feces odor that comes from the kennel?

By Teresa Salmonson from Thief River Falls, MN

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

The best thing you could do is lay a concrete slab that can be washed with mild soap and water with a broom and then hose down. The constant seeping of urine and feces in the same dirt/grass area is really not healthy for any being and any chemicals continually poured and seeping into the same area isn't healthy either :-( It's really not that hard or expensive to pour a concrete pad and once dry place their dog house and bedding back in there.

Best Answer

If you are going to keep them on that surface then I would sprinkle baking soda in the most prevelant "potty spots", it deodorizes wonderfully. You can also sprinkle crushed limestone (to be had at feed and landscaping stores) it deodorizes amazingly, especially ammonia smell from urine. I use it in my barn after stripping bedding from my horses stalls, it is amazing how fresh and clean the stalls smell after.

crushed limestone in itself is not harmful, there are lime products that contain other chemicals and could cause chemical burns on a sensitive skinned animal if laid down thickly so just be sure to check that there are no other additives. Lime will affect ph in soil, so don't use it around high-maintenance plants

Best Answer

Depending on the type of soil you have, try mixing in some perlite into the dirt. I did this in my kennel where I have heavy clay soil. Believe me, this does not absorb liquids well. Pick up the solid waste daily but the perlite will absorb the smell and help the soil stay somewhat dry and fresh.

I want to eliminate the dog smell in the dirt and grass of the kennel. Will white powder lime work an will it harm my dogs?

By Ray