Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I have a GE microwave, model no. JVM1851CH02. The unit turns on, but won't heat.
Since you can get microwaves for as little as $60, or even less if you get them at yard sales (my mother paid $5 for one that just wouldn't wear out!), I suggest you toss this one (wherever you are supposed to dispose of them) and get a new one. This is one of our modern conveniences that it is not worth repairing, unless it is still on warranty.
I have an estimate that says I need a diode and magnitron. I have the machine apart. I need to know how to test the diode.
There is not any visible damage to any part.
By Tim G
I doubt very much that microwaves are cost effective to repair. One can get them on sale for as little as $60, and sometimes at yard sales for $10, so if it is not working, I'd toss it out and get a new one.
Not if your microwave is installed over a range, then it can be hundreds to replace
diodes conduct in one direction
my microwave was turning, counting down and doing everything except producing heat. l later found out l had misplaced the roller ring during shifting . putting the roller ring back made everything work normally.
My microwave does not heat up. Can it be repaired?
By MARIA VIRGINIA from Upland, CA
You would have to contact a service person about that. Myself, a lot of things like that are so inexpensive now that it is sometimes cheaper to buy new.
My microwave heats for 2 minutes. Then it quits heating until it rests for about 10 minutes. Any thoughts on this?
By Steve M.
My Sumsang microwave does not heat but it is on and turning off.
The magnetron is overheating, probably the fan isn't running.
Very high voltage so if you don't know what you are doing leave it alone!
About this microwave needing a break. Do you think it is part of some sort of union? Do you think that before you know it, the fridge will be doing the same thing? Good grief! Where does it stop? Next, they will want the holidays off. If too many of these appliances start doing this, they will take over the whole kitchen.
My Delonghi microwave lights up, and the turntable works, but it doesn't heat. Any ideas? Cheers.
Marg from England
By Marg from England
This happened to us. You're element has gone out & you'll need to buy a new microwave (or one at the thrift store). In the USA you can get one for only $25. I paid $50 & got a really nice one. I was surprised at how cheep they are!
* This doesn't apply to burned-out elements, but for other microwave problems. I have a friend that used to repair microwaves back in the 70's when they were costly & he told me that what kills most microwaves is people slamming the microwave's door. Tell your family to always shut the microwave's door quietly & gently & your microwave will last many years longer!
Guess that's it then. Off to the shop.
Before you replace it. or buy a new element, try unplugging it for about 5 minutes. Then plug it back in. Sometimes it just needs a reset.
These answers are a joke as my microwave cost 300.00
I put an envelop in the microwave to open it and now my microwave works, but does not heat.
I doubt the envelope had anything to do with this. Certainly it was a coincidence your microwave stopped heating at this time. If it is still under warranty, you can get it repaired but otherwise it will probably be cheaper to get a second-hand microwave than to try to get this one repaired.
If you still want to try, figure out who the maker is and model #. Google the manufacturer. If you can find an email for them, tell them what's going on. They may respond.
I also doubt whether the envelope had anything to do with it, unless you ran the microwave for a long time - several minutes, which might damage it. We are warned not to operate microwaves with nothing inside them, and I would think that an envelope would count as "nothing".
I agree with the previous poster. If your microwave is on warranty, you might get it replaced, but if it is not, you will likely have to get a new one. You might want to check out the instruction booklet that came with your machine; it will give you a website or toll free number. Otherwise, watch for sales or yard sales. I once got one for $5 at a yard sale.
i think your microwae just up and died !!// as with a lot of things, it is probably time to get a new one, rather than fix. probably cheaper..
I have a Hamilton Beach microwave model # HB-P100N30AL-S3 / P100N30ALS3B and it stopped heating about 6 months ago. Any ideas?
Sometimes a microwave just needs to be reset. Try unplugging it for about 5 mnutes then plug back in and try using it.
Buy a new one.
I have a GE microwave oven model No.JES1139DS1BB that won't heat up the food.
First, unplug the microwave for about 5 minutes. Then try waving something.
It is probably a fuse. You can go in the search bar and look under troubleshooting a microwave that doesn't heat and it will help you with step by step instructions. Good Luck.
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
I have a Tappan TMV151FB microwave oven that sometimes won't heat up. Any ideas?
By Danny Harrell from Louisville
You need to discard this safety with the recycling part of your trash system. Don't mess around with opening things yourself. Microwave repair for consumers is in changing the lightbulb. Other than that, the megatron, etc. should be professionally repaired. The cost of fixing the microwave is more expensive than purchasing a new one. I replaced my $400 top of the line with a $70 one from Target, I found I was just as happy. I did not need the fancy stuff I had presumed I did. (06/25/2010)
By Grandma J
OMGoodness. Buy another one. These days, you can buy a fancy one for under $100, or even a strong, reliable one for half that. If you try to repair that one, you will be dealing with outdated, worn parts and some parts that are specific to your model will be obsolete. I agree. Recycle responsibly and get another one. It'd be tragic to start a fire due to something so simple to replace. (06/27/2010)
My microwave oven seems to work fine, except it won't heat up. Is it fixable?
Personally, I would just replace it because it could end up costing as much to repair as to replace. (11/13/2009)
Had the same problem for a microwave I really liked. Toke it to a local electronics handy man and he replaced a metallic sheet kind of thing. It worked fine after that. Repair cost about $20. You can always take it to a repair shop and tell them to check it out and call you before they repair it. Get a quote and compare the price to buying a new microwave. (11/13/2009)
The over-the-range microwave oven will power on, but will not cook/heat. Is it the microwave or the outlet?
littelvick from AR
Ours stopped working just like yours at 11PM the night before Thanksgiving. The next morning at 8 am my husband was in KMart getting a new one as trying to serve Thanksgiving dinner. Without one with our menu plan would have been difficult.
We think the problem is with the magnetron. Without it functioning, it is like turning on a gas oven without access to gas. The mechanism to provide the heat is not working. Look up your model on the internet and see what you can come up with. Our particular brand had a ton of people who posted the exact same difficulty with it. It was the magnetron.
It was a shame, because I only had this microwave for 1.5 years and it broke. It was not worth fixing. It was just as costly to replace it as to repair it. The microwave I had before this one lasted 23 years. The only reason I bought this new one was, because the old one's handle broke and I could not open or close the door. The thing still worked, though. (12/24/2008)
The motor and the fan is working, but the heating element is broken. The easiest fix is a new microwave. Sorry. This also happened to us. These days you can buy a top-of-the-line one for under 50 bucks, or a cheapie one for only $30. We paid $60 not on sale) it was the very best you could buy. There's always the Goodwill or thrift stores. A used one can be had for less than $20. Make sure you bring in a bottle or a cup of water so you can plug it in and test it first. A used one could last you for one day or 20 years. Ya just never know. (12/27/2008)
I have a fairly new microwave that has stopped heating, the lights still work but it doesn't heat. Could it be a fuse? Where is the fuse located? Loretta, Florida