Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

Category Microwave
Sometimes the reason for the start button on your microwave not working can be detected though some careful examination of the latch. Otherwise the choice comes down to repairing it or buying a new one. This is a guide about microwave start button does not work.

I have a Sanyo microwave, EM-S7595S, and it does not start. All the control panels are working, the inside light is working, but when I push the start button it does not start.

When I close the door, the inside light also turns off. Does that mean that the door is closed properly? While inspecting the latches I noticed that there is one bottom latch. Is it supposed to have a latch on the top as well?

What else could go wrong. Please advice.

By Shah from Ontario

Answers

This might not be your problem, but who knows? I had a similar situation several years ago. Everything seemed to be working till I shut the door and pressed start, then nothing. I asked my son to check it out as he is/was an electrician. Sure 'nuff he found the problem. I had a loaf of bread on top of the microwave. The plastic opening was hanging over the edge. When I shut the door a bit of the plastic was in the way, blocking the connection. Moved the bread and all worked fine. I would check to see if anything however small is blocking the connection.

My start button did not work, after reading some of the answers I checked around the latch and sure enough there was a small piece of plastic of some sorts hung on the latch hook plate. Cleaning it with a Qtip fix the problem right away. Thank you.

Anonymous

I help. Me too had the piece of cloth on frui basket that gave the same problem. Million thanks

My over-the-range microwave doesn't work. When opening the door, the light is not on, but I could enter the cooking time; then when clicking the Start button, the message just appears "Open ... Close", is there an easy fix or should I ask a certified technician to take a look?

Answers

In this case it may be the circuit board. But first, try holding the off/clear button on the keypad for 5 seconds for a soft reset.

Microwaves are not easy to fix. Most people find that it is cheaper to buy a new one (even used) than to pay someone to fix it.

You could always call the manufacturer hotline and get their expert opinion. They can tell you if it is still under warranty or if there was a recall on it...which could get you a free fix.

I make these calls frequently and have yet to be disappointed in the assistance. Good luck!

No buttons work on our microwave except the temp control and power button.
We have replaced 2 main control panels and the touch panel. The light comes on in the microwave and goes off when the door shuts. This is a built in microwave that has hardly been used, but is out of warranty. Any suggestions? At this point we have put so much money into it we are kind of committed. Does anyone know what else could be wrong with it? The start buttons and others don't work but the temp control and power button does. Sure would appreciate any help.

Answers

There may be a problem with the membrane switch. Here is an excellent website for troubleshooting microwaves: http://www.part  oes-Not-Respond/

I had a Sharp over the range microwave put in in 2005. Everything works, but the start button. The lights and fans work fine. I called for a tech; they charge $75 for just coming to the door. I am better off buying a new one, unless someone can tell me how to fix it. Any suggestions anyone? Thank you.

By jill from Lake View, NY

Answers:

Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

I once had a microwave like that and I found the door latch spring broken. The door latch, in most cases must close a switch and this tells the microwave that the door is closed.

As you know they will not work with the door open. A good handy man should be able to check and see if the latch springs are good. (01/20/2010)

By Richard W. Vick

Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

Definitely don't bother paying for a repair person and definitely 'do not' pay extra for a warranty on a new microwave because that's just a way for the company to collect extra money for a service that might not be available/in business after four years anyway. (01/21/2010)

By Ann