Cheap Way to Lubricate Squeaky Hinges

Category Doors
Squeaky hinges can be very annoying. There are many inexpensive ways to lose the squeak. This is a guide about cheap way to lubricate squeaky hinges.

What can I use to lubricate squeaky hinges with? Most things I have used cost quit a bit. I want something other than oil, thicker and longer lasting.

James Jackson

Answers

Best Answer

I use a little squirt of cooking spray. Works great and is cheap.

Best Answer

Have you tried WD-40? I would think that should work.

Best Answer

Try marine grease, which comes in a large (14 oz. or so) tube and looks like petroleum jelly but is a dark color. I found mine in the boating section at Wal-mart, but it can also be purchased at marinas and boating supply stores. It is designed to protect against the corrosion of saltwater, but I have used it for both indoor and outdoor applications that are nowhere near saltwater! It is long lasting after the initial application and inexpensive as well. I have had very good luck with it, from lubricating anything from my car door hinges to my kitchen cabinet hinges!

Tori

Best Answer

In the "old days" they would rub the hinges with a bar of soap. It works, and depending on your soap, it smells good.

Best Answer

In case you haven't figured it out in the 2 years since your question, WD-40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. You'll be applying WD-40 every few weeks if you only use it. The best thing I've found is take the hinge pins out (1 at a time), clean them with WD-40, scrub them with extra fine steel wool, and dip them in Motorcycle Chain Lubricant (1 bottle costs a few dollars, but will last a long time for hinges). The MCL is meant to stand up to road conditions, humidity, and temperature.