Cheap Way to Lubricate Squeaky Hinges

Category Doors
Squeaky hinges can be very annoying. There are many inexpensive ways to lose the squeak. This is a page about cheap way to lubricate squeaky hinges.

What can I use to lubricate squeaky hinges with? Most things I have used cost quit a bit. I want something other than oil, thicker and longer lasting.

James Jackson

Answers

By mrsmacd5 (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I use a little squirt of cooking spray. Works great and is cheap.

Best Answer

Have you tried WD-40? I would think that should work.

By Jean (Guest Post)
Best Answer

In the "old days" they would rub the hinges with a bar of soap. It works, and depending on your soap, it smells good.

By Charles Swartz (Guest Post)
Best Answer

In case you haven't figured it out in the 2 years since your question, WD-40 is a cleaner, not a lubricant. You'll be applying WD-40 every few weeks if you only use it. The best thing I've found is take the hinge pins out (1 at a time), clean them with WD-40, scrub them with extra fine steel wool, and dip them in Motorcycle Chain Lubricant (1 bottle costs a few dollars, but will last a long time for hinges).

The MCL is meant to stand up to road conditions, humidity, and temperature.

Home and Garden Repair Home DoorsJuly 23, 2017
🎃
🌻