Advice About Autism

I am looking for helpful advice, or anything regarding children with autism. My son has been given pdd label for special services over a year ago and was diagnosed with autism recently. Where to start or any help would be great.

Janmarie from Grays Harbor, WA

Advice About Autism

Here is a good starting point. Best of luck to you and your family (06/19/2006)

By Xummer's Nana

Advice About Autism

I have a five year old with autism. I also have a two year old with speech delay and displays autistic tendencies. What info are you looking for? History? Help? is another good site.

Is your son on SSI? Do you have him in an IEP (Individual Educational Program)? What about speech therapy? Yes, a lot to process. You can ask your local elementary school, health department, and even your pediatrician for advice.

Good luck. (06/19/2006)

By KLS8800

Advice About Autism

I used to provide extensive high quality of life care for an autism college student. She uses facilitated communication. You might want to check there for more information on communicating with your child to be able to provide him with a higher quality of living. Her quality of life was improved upon immensely during four years of use AND I have witnessed countless others who (with extensive help) moved to independent communication with no physical aide. They have conversations just as engrossing and with the same concerns as you and I, but from a non-speaking perspective.

Ad (06/20/2006)

By NHysHands

Advice About Autism

Although I do not have a child with autism my youngest has learning difficulty. What I found recently was sound therapy. This entails them listening to what I call a really bad classical tape (now available on CD). What this does is stimulate the right hand side of the brain and is effective.

The change in our child's ability to read and remember has been incredible. They also claim that it helps with autism, ADHD and many other issues. Our oldest boy used it as he had constant ringing in his ear. This is now no longer the case and it only took three months of listening to the tapes an hour a day. This is available in Australia and I am sure that they could point you in the right direction if you google the word sound therapy and find the website.

Hope this helps. (02/18/2007)

By Linda

Autism Research Institute
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
bowl of strawberries
Diet Ideas for an Autistic Child
Master gardener in a greenhouse.
Get Gardening Advice From a Master Gardener
boy with autism
Autism Financial Advice for Parents