Diet Ideas for an Autistic Child

Making sure that a child living with autism gets proper nutrition can be a challenge. This page contains diet ideas for an autistic child.

I have a 6 year old grandson that is one of a set of triplets. He was just diagnosed with allergies to eggs, milk and wheat. He is developmentally delayed with many symptoms of autism. With this in mind, his mother is in a little bit of a panic wondering how she will keep enough calories into an already under weight child and cook for the rest of the family as well. Any good ideas? We are just starting to research the new dietary needs, so we are open to any and all ideas.

By Dotyk from Rochester, MN

Answers

Best Answer

Visit your local health food store and ask about products for people with the allergies you mentioned. I have celiac disease and cannot eat wheat. Many of the products I buy are also egg-free and milk-free. You can get noodles, cereals, breads and many other items made from other grains. They are more expensive, but will give you a good start until you learn to cook more things from scratch. Remember, he can have all meats, fruits, vegetables, potatoes, etc. for plenty of calories.

Also, there is a law now requiring certain allergens to be listed at the bottom of the ingredients list on all products. I think the allergens listed include eggs. I know that they include milk and wheat.

Best Answer

I sympathize. my son has Aspergers syndrome plus many allergies. Eggs are easy to replace with soy yogurt or applesauce in baking. Corn cereal is easily available for breakfast. Stewed fruit with soya yogurt for desserts. You can buy or bake wheat free bread using other types of flour and also make and freeze meals for him. Just make sure that if he is eating with his siblings, at least something is the same as theirs so he won't feel so different, like dessert or the same veggie. Make his "different" meals into a treat and he won't resent anything. Soya, oat, coconut, and almond milk are really good and you can actually make ice cream with some of them. My son is so used to eating differently, it doesn't even bother him any more. He actually explains what he can and can't have when he is invited to his friends houses.

Best Answer

In addition to the books, I would also ask his pediatrician and maybe even enlist the help of a nutritionist.

Try your local library or bookstore for Jenny McCarthy's books about her son who has Autism as well as many allergies.