Autism Financial Advice for Parents

Caring for an autistic child can be a drain on the family's finances. This is a guide about autism financial advice for parents.

I have a 4 year old child with autism. My husband works full time. We have health insurance but the only thing regarding autism they will cover is 4 yearly visits for a speech therapist. I tried working but ended up minus because of paying for in home sitters (no daycare will accept him not potty trained with his health issues, etc.) I applied for SSI and was approved but later denied (my older child turned 18 and is still a student). Our take home pay is $1800 monthly for a family of 4. My husband pays $600 child support for an older child, plus medical. My child is in a preschool but he needs so much more. After bills and buying all the things we have to have (diapers, medication, etc.) there is only a few dollars to stretch out over the month. Any suggestions or advice would be wonderful.

JM from Grays Harbor County, WA

Answers

I looked around and found some resources, The first is nat'l but the rest are local to you. They should be able to get you an advocate to help you get the ssi you need. So good luck.

http://www.nati … /helpinghand.php - 1500.00 grant possible

http://www.autismrecoverywa.org/

http://www.feat … rg/programs.html

http://www.autismsocietyofwa.org/

http://www1.dshs.wa.gov/ddd/ - local government for you, best bet.

Here in CA the schools are required to pay for free speech, audio and developmental testing before a kid is even in school (if the parent requests it and knows about it), they'd rather be proactive. Also, here in CA it is a right for all parents to have their children schooled, no matter their disability, it's a long process at times but you must be VERY deligent and PERSISTENT, be a squeaky wheel. Look into WA state statues for school, as far as I am concerned (I've been through this with a bi-polar child) if you were here in CA I would say call the school district right now and get the ball rolling. Your child is guaranteed an education (that includes making a child ready for school and then help when they are in school).

P.S. Good luck and good for you, for looking for help. Children who are special need us parents to be their VOICE, NEVER EVER stop doing that for them!

My 48 year old brother has Aspergers Sydrome. High level autism. He was denied years ago for SSI, but we didn't realize that you don't accept the denial, you just keep fighting it.Now he has disability benefits of around $900 a month I don't know your situation with the 4 year old, why you would be accepted and then denied. My daughter is a Special Ed teacher and she told me how to work with the system. If you would like to contact me at my regular e mail address, raeannn AT hotmail.com, i could try to get further info for you. We went through our local Tri-counties organization in central California to get the medical help needed to certify that he is autistic and they were wonderful. I also agree with working with the school system. One of my other daughters' is a speech therapist and a good many of her clients are low income autistic children in early intervention.

In Indiana they have SSI, Medicaid, and a really cool service called Children's Special Health Care Services. It took over where Medicaid stopped when we began making "too much money." They paid for all my son's therapies, glasses and such. Check into something similar in your state. On the SSI, don't accept no for an answer. Keep going, and bug the tar out of them! Keep fighting for your son. Work with the school system, and find other moms who have older autistic kids in your area. They may know about some resources that you don't know about. And always be polite. Firm, but polite!