Advice About Dyeing Clothing

Can I dye clothes in a top loading HE washer and how can I do this?

By Katie from Wilmington, OH

Answers:

Advice About Dyeing Clothing

I've run into people who dye items in their washers all the time. Some of them have no problems, they just fill the machine with the appropriate amount of water, dye, and fabric. Let sit or agitate, but do not let drain until desired time has elapsed. My washer won't drain if the lid is up, all machines are different.

Unfortunately, using dye in a washing machine has a risk. You may get some dye residue left in the machine where you can't get to it to wipe it out, therefore ruining whatever you wash for the next few loads. One friend tells me that if you run a load or two of vinegar water and or bleach water through your machine after the dye load that it will remove the excess residue.

But again every machine is different as are the different dyes you use. So in short, yes you can dye using a top loading washer, but be aware of the possible risk. (08/20/2010)

By liddycoat

Advice About Dyeing Clothing

I just dyed something today, but since it was only one shirt, I did it on top of the stove. I left it on simmer for 30 minutes and stirred it occasionally. I used Rit brand. (08/24/2010)

By Laniegirl

Advice About Dyeing Clothing
Dyeing Bath Towels
Dyeing Bath Towels
Pink Wedding Dress
Dyeing a Wedding Dress
Pink wedding shoes.
Dyeing Wedding Shoes
Polyester Fabric
Dyeing Polyester
🎄