Dyeing Curtains

Category Curtains
Depending on the fabric, dyeing your curtains may be an inexpensive way to update your rooms. This is a guide about dyeing curtains.

I have some light blue velvet drapes. Is there any safe way (shrinkage prevention) to dye them a darker or brighter blue?

By Jan from Selden, NY

Answers

Best Answer

Velvet will be a pain to dye at home! See if a local dry cleaner knows of some place to dye items.

Best Answer

I would not attempt this at home. Go to a laundromat and use their extra large washers, be sure to set the dye with uric acid like the professionals do, it's better than vinegar for setting. Also I would not over dry them, any wetting and drying may cause shrinkage. If you want a change you could always add trim or a ruffle to them. I took a pair of paisley voile curtains I had put away years ago and re-designed them into shorter ones with ruffled tops instead of tab tops and my friends all really like them, before no one noticed them. Good luck. :)

I have new living room curtains, they are silk like burgundy color! I want to dye them blue; can it be done? And what type of dye or brand? I a trying to save money on a budget and trying to do a little at a time.

Answers

You can not dye darker to lighter. Burgundy is a dark color and I would think that even trying to dye it a dark blue or royal blue would make it want to turn out black. Could you make add a blue strip to it with a satin ribbon to tye in your blue??

You will only be able to dye a very dark blue.

I have oatmeal weave valances that I want to dye sage or celery green. How will the color come out after dyeing? The valances were very expensive and I don't like the ones out there now.

Answers

What kind of fabric are the valances made of? If they are synthetic, they will not take dye that is made for cotton. Perhaps a dye for silk might work, otherwise it may not be feasible.

I have light yellow curtains and I want to dye them blue, will that work?

Answers

In my experience with dyeing things, attempting to dye something yellow blue, will result in a green product. I would not attempt this. Your curtains will take the dye better if they are cotton. Synthetics sometimes do, but not as well.

Can I dye some curtains that are 55% linen and 45% viscose and if so, with what dye product?

By Corrine from Billings, MT

Answers

Okay. I worked for a natural dyer for one year and she said linen has a slightly waxy coating on the fiber, which makes it resistant to dye [with home dyeing it can be a little uneven or mottled, though not overly so].

First, weigh them when they are dry. If you don't have a scale, put them in a plastic bag and take them to the supermarket and discretely weigh them. One package of Rit will dye 3 dry weight pounds of fiber a medium tone. Rit works on cellulose fibers which linen is, as well as protein fibers such as wool or silk. Of course Rit is not a natural dye, but I'm not sure how the viscose is going to take the dye, as each fiber uptakes differently, and why go to the trouble of tracking down a lot of natural dyestuff for and unknown outcome. I like natural dyes a lot, but I have an old supply of Rit which I'd rather get rid of by fixing it onto material, than putting it down the sewer or in the landfill.

Rit dye is called a union dye; it is all purpose and is composed of dyes which will affix to protein fibers and dyes which will affix to cellulose [plant] fibers. So it won't exhaust, that is become nearly clear when the dye is all taken up. Because the fiber you are NOT using isn't present to take it up. In your case you have no protein fibers to take up the part of the dye meant for them. I am not sure how the viscose will dye; my guess is it might dye better than the linen, but that will just make for an interesting effect. Be brave, bold, and creative. It's just curtains.

Use the largest pot you can find or use your washing machine and pour in really hot water. Be careful.
The reason you want lots of water is to have it flow in and through the material evenly [ the opposite of tie dye which scrunches material for deliberate uneven uptake].

There is one more thing. If you have more than 3 pounds you will have to decide whether to have a lighter shade, or get two boxes . Don't breathe in the dust. DO dye all the fabric at one time so they match, and come out the same shade.

Have fun.