Advice for Teenagers

When you are a teen, learning to make the right decisions and developing good habits are very important. This is a guide about advice for teenagers.

February 24, 2012 Flag

My daughter is 13 and keeps asking to do babysitting. I don't really know if I should, because what if something happens (eg. child starts to choke). She really wants to start earning her own money.
Please help.

By someone

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

They have official and simple baby sitting trainer courses through a lot of schools, churches, and communities. You should look into it. She could get certified. They also teach CPR.

Best Answer

I think you should consider letting your child try baby sitting. Just give her some "musts" for any sitting job she takes.

Must 1 - get the information of where the parent or parents are going and have a phone number for that location

Must 2 - get a cell phone number from the parent or guardian as well. This is not the same as the first 'must'. Some people talk so much on their cell phone that most of the time you try to call them the line is busy.

Must 3 - have a number for a reliable nearby neighbor she can call or even run to if there is a problem.

Must 4 - make sure she gets all important information concerning the child, allergies, asthma, favorite toy/doll to help distract the child when parents leave.

These aren't new ideas they are just very important ideas for a young child to take to heart. The first sign of trouble and the worse thing that can happen is panic sets in. If the child has all these numbers plus the knowledge of 911 and any situation can be handled.

A 13 year old is very capable of babysitting for short periods of time but they aren't used to being responsible and to maintain attention on another. I wouldn't recommend she have any sitting jobs longer than 3 hours until she has had a couple jobs under her belt.

Insted of her doing that why dont you pay her for doing chores or let ger do dog walking or go on the internet and seacrh up 13 yr old summer jobs

Let her try it once and see how it goes maybe she'll have an experience n I wanna try it as well , message me

let her take a babysitting class so she knows what to do if something like that happens.

April 2, 2005 Flag

I'm only 15, and I live with my gradmother, who loves to eat junk food. I am overweight, and possibly obese. Any tips on how to lose weight so I can look good this summer? What foods should I eat and what exercises?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Do these things:

1. Walk a mile every day. If you can get your grandmother to go with you, all the better. Company helps consistency.

2. Dance to music you like.

3. Do housework. It will keep you moving and please your grandmother.

4. Join a physical activity at school and or at the local rec center.

5. Eat 6 servings of raw or steamed vegetables without dressing, butter, or dip every day.

6. Eat on a small plate, but make sure you eat enough every day. Just reduce the meat, sweets, and wheat (and other starches) and increase the veggies and fruits without adding sugar or fat. Portion control is important, but please be careful not to undereat. Don't develop an eating disorder. When you want junk food, drink a glass of water, eat some fresh fruit and veggies, take a walk, and if you still want it, have a small, level teaspoon of peanut butter. Eat three meals a day, but try to eat whole foods, not starchy, fatty, fried foods.

7. Learn to cook. Ask Grandma for tips, but avoid adding fat and sugar. Challenge her to learn healthy cooking with you. You'll be doing both of you a favor.

It's good to get started early with dieting.

Eat 5 fruit servings per day and be sure to eat it before your meal and the other two as snacks. East 3-5 servings of veggies, prefered type is raw or steamed, salad. Try to stay away from potatoes. pasta, and rice. No pop or junk food and try to stay away from sweets. Eat fat free and sugar free sweets if you need something. And try to exercise. Hope this helps.

(I participated in the Weight Watchers Program. It is geared after the Canada Food Guide. It is recommended by many Doctors where I live. It teaches you a normal way of life not a fad diet that you cant stick with.

Ok your probably sick of advice...looks like you have plenty.

Why don't you learn to cook...I know it sounds crazy but if you learn to cook and about what sensible foods and portion sizes you wont nead to snack during the day. Drink water and low fat plain milk instead of soda and juice.

What your grandmother eats is probably a result of what she grew up eating and learnt from her parents. She probably needs some gentle persuasion rather than lecturing.

Good luck

let us know how you go

PS I love carbs eat quality carbs and limit yourself to a couple of good serves. Its more important to limit your intake of overproccessed junk that worrry about carbohydrates.

Walk 30 mins. a day, 6 days a week.

Drink 2 gallons of water a day.

Eat more veggies. Avoid starchy veggies (corn, potatoes, peas)

Avoid sugar and simple carbohydrates.

Get advice from registered dietician/nutrionist for your individual needs.

Have patience. It took time to gain the weight, it will take time to lose it. 2 pounds a week is healthiest and will be better in the end. (meaning, you'll be able to keep the weight off better).

Walk some more. :)

August 22, 2007 Flag

My daughter (13 years old) is babysitting for the first time this Sat. for our next door neighbor. I have given her the usual "do's & don't's", i.e. play games with the child, don't spend your time talking to your friends on the phone, and of course the safety issues. (The child is 7) I was wondering if anyone had some other suggestions for her? Thanks!

Marnita from Cumming, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get a job? I'm looking everywhere but can't find anything!

I just turned 12 and have been babysitting for 2 years. Tomorrow I am babysitting my cousins overnight. My opinion as a child is to keep all the warnings and do's and don't to a minimum or your daughter might get upset or annoyed and block you out.

I am 14 years old and I babysit regularly. My summer has been packed because of my baby sitting schedules. If I could give advice to your daughter I would tell her that a parent always loves it when they come home to a house that is way cleaner than when they left. That would mean hand washing all the dishes that her and the child or children had used along with anything else that might have been in the sink...

If she doesn't know where they go in the cabinets she could just leave them out on a cloth rag. My other advice would be to keep the child busy. A parents just wants to know that they made the right choice in who they left their child with. So if a parent comes home and hears how much fun they had FROM THE CHILDS perspective then the parent is definitely going to be very happy.

Keeping the child busy will also help her because the child won't be so on end. Wear the child out. When the parent comes home they are going to want to relax so if you have kept the child busy all day then when you leave they are going to want to realize too.

The last thing I do before I leave is make sure I have left the parent a note telling them everything we had done that day, also if you and the child had eaten the rest of any certain chips or snacks, so that she could buy more at the store, and not realize that she was out of ships after she came home! Basically just giving her a detailed run through of everything they did that day! Every parent I baby sit for has seemed happy with my job and called me back to baby sit again. I charge $25 a day.

P.S. If you keep the child happy you are bound to have happy parents! Thats how I look at it! So one of the ways I make sure I am keeping my children happy is, bring them a SMALL something everyday! It doesn't have to be much but in the child's eyes it is the world! They are always happy you are coming because they know you have something fun planned, and a little present to go along with it!

If you have something special planned like going to the zoo bring them a small stuffed animal and tell them to guess what we are doing today!

Well, just try to make sure your daughter knows how to handle a child fit. When I was 12 I'm now 13) I had my first sitting job and the child wanted to skateboard in the house (the childs 3) and I said no that he had to take it outside. When he refused and started to skateboard inside the house I said he had to take it outside or I would have to take it away. He started to get on it so I took it away, he threw a screaming and crying fit, so I brought him upstairs sat him on the bed and told him when hes ready to calm down he can come downstairs. Within 6 minutes he came downstairs appologized and gave me a hug :)

There is a great article about finding a good babysitter here (more for parents):

http://www.babi  ou-need-to-know/

June 1, 2006 Flag

"I want to start babysitting, but how do I find jobs?" Advice from the ThriftyFun community for babysitters just starting out. Post your own tips here.

Editor's Note: Please do not post personal information, including email addresses. We cannot help you find a specific babysitting job or babysitter in your area. Be sure that your parents are involved in this plan and that they meet anyone you may babysit for.

Start With Family Friends

Word of mouth is by far the best way. Have your parents help by recommending you to their friends and co-workers. This way they will know who you are sitting for. As the word spreads about the good service you provide there will be a connection to people your parents know. Just like looking for any kind of employment networking is the key. Just get the word out that you are ready to start babysitting.

By dpcw

Highlight Your Experience

I think babysitting is a great idea! You may want to highlight any experience you may have and also if you have attended any first aid courses as these are things many parents are looking for in a babysitter. They want to know that the person they are leaving their most precious loved ones will care for them as much as they do. Be interested in anything the parents wish to tell you and even take notes about allergies, TV shows, rules, etc. Good luck remember if the kids are safe and happy, the parents are happy, then they will spread the word for you for free! You could also give out business cards with your contact details and the times you are available to babysit. This will make it easier for customers to contact you.

By kj

Tips For Getting Experience

Start by babysitting for the younger siblings of your friends, or your parents' friends. Volunteer at your church nursery, that'll be a safe environment to start out, too. ALWAYS tell your parents of an offer to babysit, even if you know the people BEFORE you accept. One thing that you could do to impress parents is get your first aid card (American Red Cross: CPR, first aid, and basic things like what to do for a fall, cut, etc.) I would NEVER hire a babysitter that did not do that. It only takes an instant to be grieving and sorry forever. When you understand THAT phrase, you are on your way to babysitting. After you have tried with 'safer' venues, the friends' siblings and church, then try for a daytime, short venture, say two hours. Fix a lunch or snack. Purchasing a first aid book and 'what do I do when..' book can keep you informed, too. KNOW your clients' 911 address. I know you are looking for ways to get known, but I am getting to that. When you look capable, knowing of allergies, conditions (autism, epilepsy, downs syndrome...) when you ask responsible questions, and study the list that every good parent has for their babysitter Where we are, who to ask for (Mr and Mrs Smith...not Johnny or Sally's dad/mom) The people who hire you will trust you more, and be more willing to recommend you. Also, make sure that you are willing to phone for help when a situation arises that stumps you. Good Luck.

By KLS8800

Keep Your Parents Involved And Your Options Open

Have your parents involved with your babysitting. They MUST know where you are and what time you will be home and the telephone number. I knew a 12 year old who gave out fliers. Her mom was along, I told them no kids, but dogs needed walking. She walked them each day after school for 50 cents a day, our doggies loved her. We were all sad to move, but she was good and dependable. If you can walk dogs, let people know it can help. Have fun and stay SAFE!

By meoowmom

Don't Babysit For Strangers

Please make sure you ONLY babysit for people you know. OR for your current customers friends and neighbors (for example, you sit for the Smiths and they give your name to the Jones. You don't know the Jones but the Smiths know the Jones). Don't hang your flyers in places where perfect strangers can get your info (don't post your photo either) Take a safe sitter course. Go to your local after school or summer care programs (Schools, YMCA< church, etc.) My daughter met a family at the pool when she was chaperoning after school care kids. Always represent yourself well (no unsafe actions, be mature and responsible in public places like the pool so potential customers will be attracted to you!)

By Diana

Take A Babysitting Course

Contact your local Red Cross and see if they offer the babysitting course. It's a great course and it tells parents you're being responsible. They keep a list for people who call looking for sitters.

By Laura

Start As A Mother's Helper

Times have changed a lot since I babysat. I think you should start off babysitting near your house. Ask a mom if you could come over and help. You can watch the kids while she does work around the house. You would start to learn about children that way. In fact I did that a lot.

By sandy

First Aid Website

Also go to http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/firstaid_safe/index.html. This will allow you to printout information on what to do if someone gets into poison, gets cut, sunburned, spider bites, etc. This is a good site for parents too.

By imaqt1962

Paper Plate Flyer

Write your contact info for your ad neatly in a bright color in the center of a white paper plate and your phone number on the ridges of the paper plate around the edge and carefully cut them apart up to where the border of the plate ends and thumbtack it to a bulletin board at a grocery store or laundry or wherever you can! I have seen this method used many times around here and I sometimes will tear a number from the plate to drop in my purse, so I know it works if you work it! I wish I had a pic of what I am talking about! Good luck!

Editor's Note: Be sure your parents meet anyone who calls you from a posted ad, for your safety.

By melody_yesterday

Spreading The Word

Hi, my name is Andrea. I am 12 years old and I was in the same situation that you were in. This is what I did. First, I told my mom to tell people at work that I was interested in babysitting, that got me two jobs. Then I made my own business cards, and I went around the park that is down the street from me. All of the parents with children I gave them my card. That got me three jobs, and they all lived very close to me so it worked out perfectly.

By Andrea

Parents And First Aid Are Best Resources

Talk to your parents because they are the best way to find out about friends and neighbors in your area (plus for your safety, they'll know more about these people and know how to get to you for an emergency) and TAKE FIRST AID COURSE or read up and practice! I know that I am repeating what everyone else has said, but it is so important, especially with kids under 5 (I have 2, and one has epilepsy) And please be patient with people who may not be ready for a babysitter, regardless of age. My older son is fine, but we have insecurities about leaving our baby with ANYONE for a long time until things are stabilized with meds, and we know they are up for the energy of watching both.

By camo_angels

Start A Babysitting Club

Hey! Guess what? I am starting a babysitting club with my two friends, Ariana and Moriah, and it's going to be called The Super Safe Sitters! We are making flyers that we can post up all around town. We also are going to make babysitting biz cards, too! This is a lot for me, I am only 11 years old and both of my friends are turning 12 in a couple months. Also, you could talk to your friends and see if any of there moms are nurses that can teach babysitting classes. Lucky for us, Moriah's mom is teaching babysitting classes so we get to go in them for free, plus, you'll get certified and that will catch even more eyes!

By Rachael

Flyer Advice

Hello, My name is Jazalyn and I had a dog walking business and I have some advice for you. I think you should make flyers with your number, name and some guarantees. You'll have a business in a snap of a finger. Good luck!

By Jazalyn

5 Tips From A Mom

From a 37 year old mother of 3:
  1. Advertise at a church
  2. Make nice flyers to hand out at Wal-mart
  3. Hand out flyers at local schools (get permission!)
  4. Ask to volunteer at day care facilities, build up skills.
  5. Always! Always! Tell the parents how perfect and wonderful their children were when they pick them up! Never say ugh! They were monsters! If you only say nice things you will have return jobs forever!
God bless.

By Heather, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all you do NOT make flyers or buisness cards! Every good baby sitter knows that! Only take babysitting jobs from people you know or get a interview with them... and if you take a babysitting course they tell you that. Like on internet sites like this, NEVER use your first name!

hey

my name is breanna. i am a real smart lady i really want to baby sit because i need to help poor people ad even for college...

so if any on can help me to find a person that would let me babysit help and

thank you

breanna""

To be a babysitter you have to know how to act with younger kids if they do something that you don't approve of then put them on the knotty step as I call it for 5 min. They get three strikes or they have to sing and clean their parents house or if they don't want to they can sit in there room by them selves in pitch darkness until their parents get home. Then tell there parents what you did they will think you are so grown up they should have you watch him/her again. My work here is done.

I love kids. I have babysit for my dad and for some of my moms friends. I have a lot of experience with working with kids. I know how to change diapers and feed babies. I prefer working with infants because I know how to take care of them better than little kids.

For more information on how you as a parent can qualify perspective babysitters take a look at this:

http://www.babi  ou-need-to-know/

Grat read about 7 things you should know as a parent before hiring your next sitter.

December 30, 2010 Flag

How could I set up a business giving teenagers a place to go, have activities, get counsel, etc.? Are there any grants or funding available? There is nothing to do for kids except school and church. Our discount movie theater (with drink and popcorn for two costing about $18) was closed. There is nothing for kids to do!

By JC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would first check with local churches to make sure one of them doesn't already have such a program, that perhaps just needs some publicity.

Then, you would need a building. Again, I would start with a church to see if they had a space they could let you use.

I would look for donations of the following items:

pool tables

books

tables for homework

computer

sofas, chairs

popcorn machine

couple of TV's

DVD player

VCR

CD players & headphones

donations of lots of good clean music CD's and movies

I would also contact your local retired teachers group to get some volunteers for tutoring. I'd get a hold of the local Pepsi or Coke men to donate sodas. If you need some funding, don't be afraid to ask the kids to help with fundraisers and/or charge them at the door to come in, even if its only $1. If you are in a rural area, you may qualify for a grant-if you have free tutoring, contact your local state board of education. Contact places like Big Brothers/Big Sisters to see if you can partner with them.

These are my personal suggestions. I do not have experience setting up such a center but I agree that one is needed. It sounds like a rural rather than an urban area, and I can remember being in one for a year when the one boring movie house within 40 miles shut down.

A coalition of churches might be better than leaning on one and its beliefs. Religious study shouldn't be a part of the teen center.

Tutoring is important as is non-tutoring time fillers such as games or movies/videos/DVDs.

Who in your town could point you in the direction of other rural areas that have done similar programs? Do you have a public library or can you contact the teen librarian in the nearest city for bookmobile assistance and DVD loans.

Can you get the gift or loan of a DVD player/ Netflix subscription/ cable subscription from the company (I know, but you can dream).

The best of luck to you. I don't know where you are, that might help. Google always helps...eventually.

January 25, 2014 Flag

I want to babysit all ages, but I'm worried about the worst coming first. Like what if the parents forget milk and it's still on breast milk? Or what if it's constipated? What should I do?

By A'Kenziah

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Any time you are babysitting an infant especially there is a good chance the parents are already going to be aware of any specific health problems and they will tell you or show you what you need to do in caring for that particular thing. The best advice I can give you is to think of what worries you and make a list, when you talk to the potential parents of who you will be babysitting for tell them there are some concerns you have and would like to know in advance how they would like you to handle those things in case they come up. This will show them that you are responsible, and conscientious and that you have the well being of their baby as your number 1 priority. Good Luck!

January 7, 2014 Flag

I'm 13 and starting a babysitting service, but don't know how much to charge and need help with babysitting tips.

By Skyelar

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be sure to alway have the parents to the kid you are babysitting phone numbers in case anything goes wrong. Be sure to get all the child's important. I would say charging $5 - 10 would be reasonable.

July 16, 2010 Flag

I need a babysitting jobs and I would like tips on how to start.

By Hailey from Plaquemine, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Start by asking you people that you know. You must know some people that need a babysitter. If you are talking about actual daycare, go through the department of social services.

Parenting Teen AdviceMarch 29, 2014
16th birthday cake.
16th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
Teens Playing Volleyball
Weekend Activities for Teens
A teen girl eating fruit.
Dieting Advice for Teenagers
Teen Babysitter Playing Dominoes with Child
Advice for Teen Babysitters
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 3:50:34 PM on 10.0.0.21 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.