Advice for Teenagers

When you are a teen, learning to make the right decisions and developing good habits are very important. This is a guide about advice for teenagers.

January 9, 2014 Flag

Teen Babysitter Playing Dominoes with Child

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This guide contains advice for teen babysitters. Taking care of other people's children is a great responsibility. There are many important things to keep in mind, to make childcare a successful experience.

October 14, 2013 Flag

A teen girl eating fruit.

This guide contains dieting advice for teenagers. A young person can improve their health and fitness and at the same time create good eating habits.

December 30, 2010 Flag

How could I set up a business giving teenagers a place to go, have activities, get counsel, etc.? Are there any grants or funding available? There is nothing to do for kids except school and church. Our discount movie theater (with drink and popcorn for two costing about $18) was closed. There is nothing for kids to do!

By JC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would first check with local churches to make sure one of them doesn't already have such a program, that perhaps just needs some publicity.

Then, you would need a building. Again, I would start with a church to see if they had a space they could let you use.

I would look for donations of the following items:

pool tables

books

tables for homework

computer

sofas, chairs

popcorn machine

couple of TV's

DVD player

VCR

CD players & headphones

donations of lots of good clean music CD's and movies

I would also contact your local retired teachers group to get some volunteers for tutoring. I'd get a hold of the local Pepsi or Coke men to donate sodas. If you need some funding, don't be afraid to ask the kids to help with fundraisers and/or charge them at the door to come in, even if its only $1. If you are in a rural area, you may qualify for a grant-if you have free tutoring, contact your local state board of education. Contact places like Big Brothers/Big Sisters to see if you can partner with them.

These are my personal suggestions. I do not have experience setting up such a center but I agree that one is needed. It sounds like a rural rather than an urban area, and I can remember being in one for a year when the one boring movie house within 40 miles shut down.

A coalition of churches might be better than leaning on one and its beliefs. Religious study shouldn't be a part of the teen center.

Tutoring is important as is non-tutoring time fillers such as games or movies/videos/DVDs.

Who in your town could point you in the direction of other rural areas that have done similar programs? Do you have a public library or can you contact the teen librarian in the nearest city for bookmobile assistance and DVD loans.

Can you get the gift or loan of a DVD player/ Netflix subscription/ cable subscription from the company (I know, but you can dream).

The best of luck to you. I don't know where you are, that might help. Google always helps...eventually.

Parenting Teen AdviceMarch 29, 2014
16th birthday cake.
16th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
Teens Playing Volleyball
Weekend Activities for Teens
A teen girl eating fruit.
Dieting Advice for Teenagers
Advice for Teen Babysitters
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 6:13:44 AM on 10.0.0.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.