Apple Crisp Recipe

Does anyone have an apple crisp recipe that they just LOVE? This is one dish that I crave, but can't seem to make well.

Apple Crisp Recipe

This is from my 1972 Betty Crocker recipe book. It is simple and delicious.

• 4 cups sliced pared tart apples (about 4 medium or 3 large apples) *Note: I like to use Granny Smith apples for this recipe.
  • 2/3 to 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 8x8x2 inch square pan. Place apple slices in pan. Mix remaining ingredients thoroughly. Sprinkle over apples.

Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown. Serve warm. (With light cream or ice cream if desired.)

Variation: Cherry crisp: Substitute one can (1 lb. 5 oz.) cherry pie filling for the apples and use less sugar.

Ginger, you can try different types of fruit, like peaches or mixing rhubarb and cherries, (tart but good, just add a little more sugar if you need to). I like to start out with maybe 1/2 cup sugar and gradually add more according to taste. I've made these crisps using Splenda, also, because my mom is diabetic, so when we have family potluck style dinners, she can also enjoy some desert. Hope this helps!

By tismom

Apple Crisp Recipe

I can't give you my family recipe, it's from a Betty Crocker book I think, an OLD one, if I did, there would be many people mad at me.

BUT, I can give you several tips.

1. The best "fat" for me is Imperial Margarine in the gold box, butter and other margarines just don't give me the "crisp"

2. I don't use oatmeal, the topping is so good I make double. Think about how much people ooh and ahh over the topping alone.I always make a double recipe for the amount of apples (9x13 dish)

3. Make sure that your oven is heated up and has been heated for several minutes before you put it in.

I don't use sugar or cinnamon on the apples, I just peel, slice (maybe a little lemon) and throw the topping on top. That way you taste the apples AND the topping, not just a bunch of sweet, buttery, cinnamon topping (not that that is a problem).

I made it a rule YEARS ago when I found the recipe and made it the first time (we had a small family apple orchard), my kids LOVE to eat it for breakfast, the only time I break my NO SUGAR before school!

Good luck! Happy experimenting! (04/02/2007)

By michawnpita

Apple Crisp Recipe

Here is a recipe that I use all the time. I love it and so does my family. Enjoy!

• 2 cans apple pie filling
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine

Grease a 9-in. square baking dish. Pour in apple pie filling. Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Spread evenly over pie filling.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes

By Jean

Apple Crisp Recipe

The recipe on the bottom of the page is the most like mine. I love lots of brown sugar and oats!

My tip: use REAL apples (not canned) and use butter (not margerine), don't cut corners! I think home-made desserts should be made with the best ingredients! Or you might as well get a mix!
;-) (04/03/2007)

By Starchild in VT

Apple Crisp Recipe

Thanks, Ladies! I have some more ideas to go on.... It will be fun to experiment. Ginger (04/03/2007)

By gwg

Apple Crisp Recipe

• 8 apples
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar *
  • 1 Tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 white sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. butter, melted

Mix together flour, 1 C sugar, baking powder, and egg. The mixture will look like cornmeal.

Peel, core, and slice the apples. Mix together with 1/2 TB cinnamon. Place apples in a greased 8-inch square pan. Spread flour mixture over the apples. Mix together 1 TB cinnamon adn 1/4 C sugar, sprinkle over the top of the crisp. Drizzle with butter.

Bake at 300 degress F for one hour. Serve warm.

* One time I made it with 1/2 cup sugar + 1/2 cup Splenda and it tasted great. (04/03/2007)

By Maryeileen

Easy Apple Crisp

Slice peeled and cored apples into an 8" casserole. Add a couple Tbsps. of water(helps prevent sticking)

Make crumbs of:

• 1 cup white sugar(or brown if you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine.

To this mixture add nutmeg or cinnamon to your taste. Make the crumbs with your hands. Pat crumb mixture on top of apples. Bake 35-40 minutes till bubbly and golden.

This recipe does not use oatmeal,grapenuts or any other cereals. It is plain and delicious. Of course vanilla ice cream served with it is a bonus. Enjoy! (04/04/2007)

By mairmie

Apple Crisp Recipe

This tastes good and is the easiest EVER (I used to make it as a kid).

• 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 can apple pie filling

Spoon apple filling in 8x10 cake pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over top. Cover completely.

Melt butter in saucepan or microwave. Spoon over entire top of cake mix. Spread gently with butter knife.

Bake in a 350 degree F oven untill browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.

By Valerie

Apple Crisp

Here's an apple crisp that we really like.

• 6 medium apples sliced (about 8 cups)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
  • 2 sticks soft butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup coconut

Set oven to 350 degrees.

Mix topping ingredients. Set aside.

Spray with Pam a glass baking dish. Peel apples, slice and mix with sugar and cinnamon.

Place in prepared dish. (I used an 11 inch, deep dish, Pampered Chef stoneware)

Cover apples with topping pressing topping down on the apples.

Bake till lightly browned and apples are tender, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.

Really yummy.

By quickcooker

Apple Crisp Recipe

Being Diabetic I use the Apple Pie Filling recipe on the back of the Splenda bag (on their website as well). For a topping: A couple of handfuls each of brown sugar, old fashioned oats & flax seed mixed together with just enough canola oil to make a crumbly mixture. This a slightly healthier recipe that still meets the approval of my family. (04/07/2007)

By Faye

Apple Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream
Apple Crisp Recipes
Apple Cookie Recipes
Apple Cookie Recipes
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider, Two glasses of sparkling apple cider.
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider