Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets

Proper application of topical flea medication is not only more effective, but safer for your pet. This is a guide about applying topical flea medication on cats.

May 27, 2009 Flag

Please test your cat for allergies to flea meds by applying only one drop at a time. Flea meds almost killed my cat. I've been up all night, every hour force-feeding water to my cat. He was so sick, he went 48 hours without eating or drinking anything and had a fever after I applied the recommended dosage of "Advantage" flea drops to his neck (which I bought at the vet).

Thankfully today, he's feeling much better and is eating and drinking again. What a scare that was. I've since heard many stories of seizures and foaming at the mouth in cats with allergies or sensitivities. My friend tried just one 1 drop and his cat started foaming at the mouth!

I believe the dosage on these "once monthly" flea drops (for the back of the neck) should read: Apply half now then the other half in 2 weeks. This way their little bodies won't be overwhelmed with so much toxic poison at once. My cat is allergic to the "natural" flea drops (they contain strong peppermint and eucalyptus oils). So next time I will try just one drop of "Revolution" (a different brand) and if he has no reaction after 24 hours, I'll only apply half the dose and the other half 2 weeks later. After calling my vet, they say these products can shut down their organs (like kidneys and liver) and also cause seizures in many cats. I wonder why you don't hear about this until it happens to your cat? I hate to give him anything toxic like this, but I'm extremely allergic to fleas.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Years ago, when Frontline first came out, both my Vet & several breeder friends told me to use a syringe and remove all the Frontline from the plastic bubble,[ I had 6 dogs at that time] and put 1 drop on each dog until it was almost gone; then put the remaining few drops [one drop at a time] on my largest dogs. Have never had a problem doing this!

August 7, 2011 Flag

Use a comb to part and hold up the dog/cat's fur when applying spot-on flea treatment. I comb the fur in the opposite direction from the way it grows. In other words, I comb it upwards to expose a good line of the skin. This makes it easier to apply the treatment properly.

By Tammie from Auburn, GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Great idea!

November 30, 2012 Flag

I followed the package directions when applying flea treatment to my Numi cat and placed it between the shoulder blades. Well, Mr. Flexible had no trouble twisting around to lick the spot, sigh.

So, while keeping a very close eye on him, to prevent the kerchief from catching on something, I loosely tied a terry cloth cleaning rag around his neck, after blotting up any liquid that might have gotten on the surface of his fur. I was working in the same room, so he was quite safe. After a bit he stopped trying to lick, so I removed the cloth.

Lesson learned, I will always put the drops higher up on his neck to keep him from licking himself.

These medications work well on most pets, but do keep close watch after applying them, as some dogs and cats can have moderate to serious reactions to them. We had to switch brands a few years ago when the product we used on our dog made her nauseous.

Directions:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I totally agree with watching them after you apply it, I had 3 kitties and I tried it on them. They didn't lick it, but it drove them all three bonkers! I have never seen 2 cats (the other liked to be bathed) so happy to be bathed and they hated to be bathed! They sat there so patiently while I washed that stuff off. Really good idea about covering it until it dried, spread out, or whatever it does; I could see a bandanna in with their cat supplies just for that purpose.

September 14, 2014 Flag

I put flea and tick squeeze-on on my dog. How fast does it work? My dog has been scratching like crazy! That's why I put the medicine on him.

By Renae M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The squeeze on will certainly help but is only a temporary remedy. You will still need to thoroughly clean his bed, use flea powder on the carpet and vacuum, and treat the ground outside where he spends time.

Pets CatsDecember 3, 2012
kitten with fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens
Applying for a Passport, US Passport on White Background
Applying for a Passport
cat
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 2:03:06 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.