Athletic Banquet Centerpiece Ideas

Category Banquets
One of the considerations when planning an athletic banquet is the table centerpieces. This is a guide about athletic banquet centerpiece ideas.

Table with tennis racket and balls, strawberries and champagne.

I had to make centerpieces for an athletic banquet. Our school colors are purple and gold. I made 40 centerpieces for less than $200. I bought ornament stands (brass) off eBay in bulk. I found purple star ornaments (with flecks of gold) at a pottery store. I hung these on the stand.

Then I used fishing line to hand a smaller gold star ornament just below it. At the top of the ornament stand I attached gold wire garland with stars and shaped them into a curly design. Then, I tied a very small piece of purple wire ribbon to set it off. Very cute.

We then put small assorted sizes of cardboard boxes on the table, draped them with gold and purple fabric, put small cut glass mirror on top and placed our decorated ornament stand on top. Dollar store was great and fabric was cheap. The trick is to find the ornament stand and ornaments in bulk and on sale.

By Booster Rat from Fayetteville, NC

Sounds awesome. The same or something similar could be done for wedding reception tables or any kind of party celebrations. If you have a picture, please post it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see it. Thanks.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

We are in need of centerpiece ideas and general decorating ideas for our upcoming field hockey banquet. We prefer not to use balloons, but any and all ideas are welcome! We had a phenomenal season so we want to make this a banquet to remember! Thank you so much for helping us with your ideas.

Can you go to a party store and find some small hockey sticks, helmets, and pucks? You can use these to make a cute center pieces for each table. Or if you have a few helmets that players will donate for the day use them for flower decorations. You can add the foam inside the helmets but first line them with a thick plastic. Then fill them with flowers and set them on the tables.

I need centerpiece ideas for an athletic banquet. The sports we're celebrating are basketball, baseball/softball, track, and cheerleading.

By Lisa L.

You have many sports to represent so go with neutral, elegant flowers. It is better to err on the side of elegant than to have one team feel slighted. My daughter's team won the NCAA' s national championship the year I had to help with the banquet(s). We got round mirrors from the least expensive source, topped them with shallow glass bowls and floated flowers and candles in them for each table using the school colors (white flowers and blue candles).

We used a set of three (or five or seven) of these at the head table depending on the banquet. For a very fancy evening affair I simply immersed inexpensive denobrium orchids in five tall, thin cylinder vases and lit them with a floor "up light". I covered paint cans of differing heights with an elegant "scrunched up" table cloth so the cylinders were at differing heights. The "wow factor" was appreciated by the coaches, athletic director, even the college president. It all came in under $65 (!) for set of three banquets.

I have used flats of flowers, popped out of individuals cells and inserted in "dollar store" pails. Pack those puppies in there so they look lush. Then you could put the teams on card stock of the school colors, attached to a skewer and put in each little bucket. Have your "pep squad" put some pompoms at the head table at the base of each little pail.

The athletes and coaches at your banquet are certain to appreciate any effort you make. They are your true centerpieces!

Make up 3D footballs, basketballs and track items and put them on a skewer and arrange them on the table in a vase or piece of styrofoam in a basket with flowers of your schools colors. for the cheer leaders make up pom poms with yarn and put a skewer through them and add them to the bouquet.

Your teams will love something like this. You can also make say Mike is in Baseball, a baseball with his name on it. Joe is in Football, a football with his name on it and continue through the teams. They'll love the personalization.

I would look for small toy-sized balls made for kids. Put them on skewers and arrange in floral foam in the centre, surround with small versions of pompoms and paper megaphones. I have also see birthday candles in the shape of sports balls which might work if you floated them in water when they were lit.

I'm responsible for doing the table centerpieces for a high school crew (rowing) team banquet. (The colors are red/white/blue.) Any ideas? I'm stumped at the moment.

By RM

Could you get paddles (oars), one per table, and use as centerpieces, with vases of red, white and blue flowers (either mixed or one vase of each color at the ends and center of the paddle? If you can't get real ones, perhaps you could make replicas from poster board. If you make replicas, make two per table, cross them and put a vase of the 3 colors of flowers on the center where they cross. Hope this helps.

Our church is having a fall festival and we would like to use a sports theme. We make table decorations that can be auctioned at the end of the night. I need ideas for these decorations. Something that someone would want to purchase and use in there home, etc.

Allen from TX

Also check on this site under "party" and there is a request for "Decorating Ideas for a High School "Spring Sports" Banquet". There are ideas there as well.

A very inexpensive centerpiece is to get a med. size tin, like drinks are served in sometimes, and stuff with newspaper, top with colored tissue paper and then start with the fun stuff... bubble pop bubble gum, bags of popcorn, peanuts still in the shell, cracker jacks boxes.., etc. for color buy some bandanas and tie with raffia, and set at all the place settings. OR collect large veggie cans etc. from your local school cafeterias and paint them school or team colors, download pics from internet of school mascot or team mascot, make stencil from pics and spray paint on can. Ask local nurseries to let you borrow plants or flowers along with the plastic sticks that come in plants. Place the sticks in can with plant or flower, and then (after gathering pics of team players young or current) put pics on the sticks. Parents will love this and the team will love seeing themselves on a centerpiece. You can back the pics with thick paper cut into starsc footballs, baseballs etc.

I need table decorations for a cross country banquet

I am planning a youth wrestling banquet and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what type of centerpieces to use. The kids are 5-15 years old. Last year they had flower pots with lollipops in them. Any ideas?

Jen from Downingtown, PA

My son is a wrestling coach and at their dinner, a mother passed out this poem to each mom. Perhaps this would work for you.

Attached is the poem

Just wondering if you found any ideas. I am also planning a season end wrestling banquet and am looking for ideas for centerpieces.

We used head gears with 4 latex balloons tied to them. We kept it in school colors. They were cheap & looked great!

I am looking for Lacrosse themed table centerpiece ideas for a HS banquet. Any ideas?

By lacrossemom from NY

Hello! I have two ideas for this: Cake store may have some Lacrosse decor plastic pieces, I would use these and/or PRINT out some pictures/magazine, cut them to liking. Glue to cardboard/stock paper and take it from there, maybe a piece of green outdoor carpet or even real grass, to make a field or something like it, even here you could use a picture and lay it to hold the other pieces. You could actually make a decorated tree, this way or an actual flower bouquet & stick the pictures/decor in with flowers.Feel free to contact me w/any questions or tell me your ideas, this always inspires new tricks & ideas for me to better help.Great Crafting to you! Mista

sparklejunkfewz AT gmail.com

This idea went over huge! Ordered clear plastic display boxes from ebay. They come flat and you just fold to assemble into a box. I cut the top flaps off to make an open box. I did these for our mens basketball banquet (8x8x10) and for my son's (5x5x7) high school hockey banquet. I printed out 8x10 pictures of the team (one head and shoulder shot, one action, and the other two sides team logo and number), layed them face down next to each other, taped the sides, flipped them over, and I had a cube of pictures to put in the box.

It also served as a table number system. We stuffed the box with tissue paper and placed them in the middle of the table. For the Hockey banquet, The hockey moms filled with candy and then put tissue sticking out on top. The players had a photo keepsake to take home. Everybody went nuts over this!

I need ideas for table centerpieces for a high school hockey kick off dinner.

Thanks,
Connie from Eagan, MN

Hi Connie,

Did you have any luck finding centerpieces or any hockey decorations? I'm looking too for a party I'm having in Feb. 07. Please post if you find anything.

Doesn't seem to be much out there!

Thanks!

One idea for hockey centerpieces is to make hockey motif weights to anchor balloons (team's color) in the center of each table. Purchase fishnet that mimics the net of the hockey goal (craft store or on line). Cut this material into about about 20" squares. Place hockey pucks in the "fabric" and "tie" them up with hockey tape or festive colored ribbon. Then attach balloons to the weight. It would add to the look to have a "mini" stick coming out the top of each one as well! We did this for a Lacrosse banquet (with lacrosse balls!) and it was a real hit. In fact, we gave the balls away to the boys and kept the net for the next year's banquet. To add color to the tables we placed them on squares of colored fabric. A Hockey sock might be cute coiled up with the "pucks in the net" set upon it. Good Luck!

I am helping to organize our university sports club and societies ball. We are trying to come up with ideas for centerpieces. The university colours are navy gold and white so we would like to stick to them if we can. We need a main theme that can be adapted for each centerpiece for each club/society.

In recent years we have had wooden figures with something to do with the club/society and discs with the personalized part in the middle and the name written on the outside. So far this year we have thought of using molds with plaster of paris, with the name of each club/society and wire writing on a stand. However we have a limited budget. Any ideas you can come up with would be great. :) Thanks.

By Chloe from UK

How about a floral foam base covered in fish tank pebble type rock that could then be painted white and then use some hot glue to make a rope type design on it and cover this in navy glitter.

Then use copper, or any type of cheap wiring, to sculpt out the lettering of each club, like cursive writing. Fix this to a painted wooden scewer and insert it into the base.

I would use a large, half moon shape, on the floral foam to be sure it takes the weight of the wire sculpture, and prepaint the foam to hide the green color of the foam.

You could also, instead of glitter, use a blue navy paint to deco the base with the school initials.

I am in charge of our annual Year End Sports Banquet. I am looking for centerpiece ideas for about 45 tables with various sport themes.

Joan S. from Lula, GA

Answers:

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

Fill large ice cream glasses with colored shredded paper and the different small or medium stuffed sports balls. Add the same color shredded paper around the center of the table. (05/15/2009)

By 100299

I am planning an Athletic Banquet at a University and need some ideas for decorations or centerpieces. I will have around 50 tables. I want to make it as nice as possible without spending a lot of money.

Molly from Charleston, SC

Answers:

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

This will sound strange, but I just went to a banquet and didn't realize what it was until I picked it up and checked it out. The school colors are purple and gold so they had ribbon and some type of tissue or wrapping paper in those 2 colors. Going down the middle of the tables every 10 feet or so they would have a thing they had wrapped in gold paper with the paper bunched at the top and tied with purple ribbon or vice versa. What they had wrapped was a roll of toilet paper from the school supply closet - which they later returned. It was small but colorful, and they had done allot of them!

(small)Scarlet (Guest Post)(/font)

(

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

Try to use some of the team's equipment as centerpieces and then use balloons in school colors with the equipment. For my son's football banquet, we used a helmet in the center of each table - the more banged up and marred the better. We tied ribbons in school colors to the facemask and they floated in the air a few feet above each table. Many, many compliments and very, very inexpensive. (05/23/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

The football helmets are a good idea, but remember there are other athletic programs to represent. Use catcher's helmets from Softball & Baseball. Depending on the number of tables, batting helmets, crossed batons from track. Also other track equipment; shot, discus vaulting helmets. And don't forget the coaches equipment; dry eraser playboard, whistles on lanyards, etc. Look around your school lockers and add baloons in school colors. Pom Poms and megaphones. There's no end of items and all available at no cost. Add inexpensive tissue paper for table runners, helium baloons and you have money left from your budget. (02/24/2006)

By jesij

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

You might try using some trophys - not too tall, though because you don't want to block the view. That plus athletic equipment. Also, I have heard of people contacting local popular athletes (professional) and asking them for an autographed photo. Put them in inexpensive frames and there you go. (02/25/2006)

By Laura

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

How about triangles cut out of school-color felt, glued onto sticks, like the banners you wave, or did. Put school-color paper through a shredder for pompoms, on sticks, too. The toilet paper roll idea for a base is good.

(02/26/2006)

By the Oracle

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

I did this some years ago for a college football banquet. Cut old footballs that are no longer used in half and fill with fruit, flowers, and candy. Inbetween, we used pom-poms with greenery. Everyone thought it went over well.(quote)(/quote) (08/24/2006)

By Frances

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

We held a soccer banquet and asked a local soccer store to allow us to borrow new cletes and soccer balls as our center piece and we added a few ballons of school colors.It was cute and publicity for the store (11/01/2006)

By

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

We are going to use old tennis shoes - which we will spray paint - use with greenery & flowers...

Last year we used cartons to make lockers - covered with paper - door cut - vented....with pom poms and confetti - ballons.... (01/25/2007)

By Debbie P

Athletic Banquet Centerpieces

With regards to the football helmets with ribbons & balloons - approx how many balloons did you tie to teach helmet? (02/26/2008)

By tschnet1