Avocado Tree Dying

I put avocado tree fertilizer on a 20 year old avocado tree, to improve the productivity this year. Now it is dying and turning brown. Did I kill it? Do I have hope? What should I do? :(

The fertilizer may have burned the roots. What do the leaves look like? Just brown? Does it look fungus-like?

It may be overwatered

First, why did you think it needed fertilizer? Did it appear "stressed" before you applied the fertilizer? If so, the fertilizer may not be the problem. If not, did you apply it according to the package instructions? If so and he tree was healthy before you used the fertilizer, call the manufacturer and tell them the situation. They are your best source for immediate help.

You do not say where you live but if it is in Florida, you may have a fungus in your tree. I believe you should take photos of your tree (several) and contact your county extension service for a true diagnosis of your tree. I would do this as soon as possible. Just be sure to tell them what type of fertilizer, how much you used and date used.

It may have been under watered. The tree soil should have been thoroughly wetted before applying the fertilizer. You may have applied too much fertilizer and without adequate water to dilute that fertilizer, the tree roots could be burned.

You didn't say whether you used a granular fertilizer, a liquid, or whether you did foliar feeding. If copious amounts of water don't revive the tree, you have lost it. If you do try lots of water, it may take quite a while for you to see results.

In the meantime, I would take cybergrannie's advice.