Avoiding Shopping Impulsively

Woman framed by hanging clothing looking concerned
This guide is about avoiding shopping impulsively. Making sure you really need and can afford what you buy is important.

Questions to ask yourself first:

DO I NEED IT?

If your honest answer is no, think about the things that you "really do" need.

CAN I AFFORD IT?

Tell yourself, if I have the extra cash yes but, If you have to reach for that credit card then you can't afford it.

DO I HAVE SOMETHING THAT WILL DO JUST AS WELL A HOME?

Re-evaluate what you have at home already and decide if this will fit your needs. If not, pack it up and give it to charity.

FIND A CHEAPER, MORE REASONABLE SUBSTITUTE.

Knock-Offs, need I say more.

HAVE I REALLY FOUND THE BEST DEAL?

It takes time and effort but comparison-shopping does make a difference.

AM I WILLING TO WAIT?

Play a game with yourself and walk to the opposite side of the store, wait 15 minutes, then decide if it is really worth it. Now a sale can really mess with your good sense of judgment. Simply getting away from the situation for a couple of minutes (or days) can do wonders. Have you ever noticed that you require your children to be patient but rarely put the same requirement on yourself?

WHAT IF I DON'T WAIT?

Think about the consequences, how you'll feel, does it make you "feel" better to buy something? Do you have any underlying issues that you may need to address?

WHAT WILL THE CONSEQUENCES BE FOR MY ACTIONS?

Make a list of what the consequences will be if you buy that $50.00 purse or shoes. If it is paying the rent, the consequence is the bank will be calling you looking for their money. If it is buying groceries for the family, they will go hungry. I think this is easy enough to answer.

If you don't know the answer to these questions, please don't use that old saying "what I don't know won't hurt me", take it from someone whose been there and done that. It eventually will.

By KarensKrafts

Thank you so much for this tid bit, I have been saying just about the same things to my D H

I love lay-a-ways

thank you again

Cindy,

Elkhart,Indiana

Thank you for this....it's a great reminder.

Great advice! Some people suffer from being bipolar have issues with "overspending"! If you know you might do this type of "overspending", be sure to leave your credit cards at home and only take them with you when you need them for a specific purpose!

Cheryl

http://www.2ewenique.com