Saving Money When Shopping

Category Shopping
Whether you are shopping for clothing, groceries, or a new car finding ways to save money when shopping is a good idea. This is a page about my frugal life: saving money when shopping.

I recently heard a report about money and finance that was surprising to me. Lay away isn't a good idea. Not that I do it, but I was surprised it wasn't saving you any money. The fact is you save money by not paying the fees and risking losing the items you have paid on by being late. The sales are always closer to the holiday. It's better to save that money yourself, by either getting interest or waiting for a sale. You also save on gas and time, on top of always paying more pre-sale.

I started thinking of the other things I do. Grocery items are always on sale the night before the big restock of the week. This can be one, two or even three times a week. Usually it's once a week when anything left is marked way down. Just ask the manager when this is. Here is is Monday night. The new sales start on Wednesday so Tuesday the shelves are bare. What is left is on sale, but it's very picked over from the weekend. The week before sale, shelves are being stocked with the new merchandise. The exception would be if a holiday falls right before that day. Of course, after the holiday things are marked down if items are for that particular day.

Same thing goes to all of the thrift stores. My favorite one stocks new items on Monday and marks down tags that haven't sold the week before. I just asked her one week. Everyone usually is so nice and helpful telling you when the best days are and which days certain things are marked down. The last weekend, they try to get things in order for a new month. I love the racks where everything is 99 cents, no matter what it cost the day before, on that last weekend it is marked down. They have constant turnover and always want to keep things moving.

Recently at our church thrift store, I asked about belts. They were marked 30% off. She told me to come back on Friday. They had a bunch in the back and hadn't restocked the rack. They wanted to sell what they could to make more room.

If you pay attention at some thrift stores, you'll see where on week if it doesn't sell at 25% off, the second week it's 50%, and so on. You can save and even ask when they restock furniture, children's clothes, adult's, etc. They all have a system. Each store may have a different day. Most need to close the books at end of the month. You can save so much money by asking what day they restock, mark down, or even clear the racks (what hasn't sold they donate somewhere else).

Consignment stores are just that. They only have certain amount of time to sale any item. Ask what that period is and if something you love is over the amount you can spend, maybe it will be marked down the next day.

So many people resale things online. They know everywhere, times of mark down, restocks, or deliveries. Some are waiting at the door to pick over everything before most of us get there. If you ask most of the stores will tell you.

Grocery is the same. They donate bread, meat, even canned items to the food bank once a week. Right before that, everything is marked down. It still is good quality food or they couldn't sell it to you.

Even if you do shop at malls, Target, or wherever, they all have that time frame where it is the better times to save money. Our malls, between now and Christmas, will have a couple midnight sales; believe me it will be crowed.

Hopefully, you will be given all the information I was to help save you money! Remember all of our store markdown cards are still good when marked as far down as they will before donating it. All of the coupons and special mark down days are still in effect, so you really can save so much more by being flexible on the days, times, and by just asking when is the best time possible to save.

Source: I saw the money report on The View. I have been doing the other since my son worked at Vons (grocery store). The thrift stores are so kind, I just asked.

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

It's been many years since I purchased a brand new handbag for myself. At first, I searched thrift stores and estate sales and didn't find anything to my liking. Either the purses were too big, too small or too old fashioned.

There is a T.J. Maxx Store that recently opened in my area. I had purchased a few things over the summer months and applied for their TJX Rewards Plantinum MasterCard where rewards can be earned when I shop. The customer can earn 5 points per $1 spent at T.J. Maxx, Marshalls and HomeGoods, or earn 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else where MasterCard is accepted. For every 1,000 points earned the customer receives a $10 reward certificate.

Whenever I went shopping instead of paying in cash I used my TJX Rewards Plantinum MasterCard. Within a short period of time, I earned two $10 reward certificates. I also had an extra $20 check stashed away that I had received from doing online surveys. I went to the bank to cash my $20 check and added that money along with the two rewards certificates. So now I had $40 to spend on anything in the store.

The handbags were located in the front of the store, and didn't really want to spend a lot of time in shopping for one. Some I looked at were really out of my price range, especially those priced at $69.99 and higher. I removed a handbag from the top hook priced at $39.99, and that was the only one of it's kind.

All of the sudden, the alarm lock on the purse started beeping and then I got scared thinking that I would be be accused of attempting to steal the purse. I had to think fast then I took the purse to customer service and explained that I was only looking at it when the alarm went off. The sales clerk assured me that it happens quite often, then she took a key and shut off the alarm.

I picked up the purse, walked over to the display and was ready to hang it up and keep right on searching for one I was to buy. But a thought hit me, the purse was trying to tell me, BUY ME, BUY ME! The purse cost me a whopping $3.20 the price of the sales tax.

What a bargain!

By Marjorie from LEWISTON, NY

When I write a shopping list, I know exactly what I need to purchase and get out of the store so I will not overspend or purchase unnecessary splurge items. I will also save time by having a list in-front of me when I shop.

A shopping list written on a piece of paper.

Discount Area at Ikea. Do you know that Ikea has a discount area? (In the one near us, it's right near the cash registers.) You can get little items - like CD cases - which make good gifts.

Here is an unadvertised 25% off discount code to use online at www.jcpenney.com. This offer is only good on regular-priced items and ends April 29, 2006.

For you frugal shoppers, JCPENNEY is having an on-line sale of 30% off regular priced items, and 10% sale items. Go to: http://www.jcpenney.com after you have everything in your shopping bag...

It can be a challenge to buy everything you need without having a lot of money. This is a page about shopping with less money.

Family paying for groceries at supermarket

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

There are many ways to get the most of every bit of your hard-earned money. This is a page about stretching the value of a dollar.

Dollar being stretched by fingers holding it

Budget & Finance ShoppingMarch 1, 2017
🎃