Grocery Shopping Tips

Category Shopping
There are many ways to save time and money when tackling your household shopping. This guide contains grocery shopping tips.

When at the supermarket, bring a little notebook with you, and a calculator. Write down all of your regular items (or something that you'd like to buy) and the price per ounce (divide the cost by the total number of ounces in the package). While the stores usually show that formula on the tags that show the prices, sometimes it shows "X" cents per ounce on one item, and "Y" per unit on another brand's item (that's why I suggested the calculator).

Get the same information from all the supermarkets that you frequent. After a couple of weeks, write out a chart of your regular shopping items down the left side of a page, with the name of the stores across the top. Then put the price into the proper column under each store. You'll quickly see what store gives the best regular prices, and you'll be better able to cash in coupons or take advantage of sales without pulling everything out of the cabinet to see what it usually costs.

Update the lists from time to time, too. I use Miracle Whip. It's usually $3.49 here, which works out to $0.10+ per ounce. I always buy it at a super-discounted grocery store for much less, $0.07 an ounce. When you get a coupon or there's a sale on, make sure that store is offering a better price than you often pay.

I used to take the cost of mileage into account, until a third supermarket opened recently within a 2 miles of my home. Talk about heaven! Soon you'll know exactly where to go to get what, simplifying a shopping trip and getting you the best price on everything.

By Polly Levesque

I have worked in the grocery industry for over 15 years, so I'm going to share little secrets of how to shop and save big in your favorite local grocery store.

By Ronda F from Mulvane, KS

Did you know that the supermarket is dangerous? This goes for any cart-pushing, scooter-riding establishment. Ask yourself if you've ever felt at some kind of risk in the grocery store (besides being run over by some kid racing around with a cart)?

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh3 found this helpful

As grocery prices rise, we wait and hope for this economic trend to reverse itself. However, in the meantime there are ways to shop wise and save money at the grocery store.

Shop stores during the dinner hours, 5 PM to 7 PM. The stores are less crowded then.

Calculator shopping was popular back when hand-held calculators first became cheap and easy to get. Nowadays, I rarely see anyone shopping with a calculator, but there are many good reasons to use one.

Where we live, it's at least a 20 minute drive home from the closest grocery store. So it never fails, whenever I buy cold foods, they are warm by the time I get home, and frozen foods are melted.

In this economy food companies are shrinking package sizes as we have all found out. Pay very close attention shopping even at dollar stores. Check ounces on cereal boxes to get the best price for the most product.

When I go to a big grocery store, it is such a time waster standing in line at the deli counter. Now, before I leave home, I write the order on the back of a business card. When I get to the deli, I just tell them I'll be back in 20 minutes.

My tip for making grocery shopping easier. I bring my wife and follow her around while she picks the groceries. I find it to be a lot easier than going by myself.

Have you noticed that all the fresh, least processed items are on the walls of the grocery store? Meats, dairy, produce, baked goods? This is where the majority of your healthy shopping is, along with the freshest seasonal items.

My grocery shopping is always a chore. We used to spend two to three hundred dollars a week for a family of five. I resolved to cut that back now that I have only one kid at home.

Clean out and re-organize your refrigerator and cabinets the day before you go to buy groceries.

As a self employed worker in a soft economy, I have learned to stretch every nickel to do a dime's job. One of my best strategies is to become acquainted with the department managers of my favorite grocery stores. These men and women have supplied me with valuable information regarding the foods in their departments.

I keep a large ($10 at Dollar General) cooler in the back of my van for cold grocery items such as milk and meats. It lets me continue my shopping and not worry about something spoiling.

When I am shopping at a store that I know I will be making a purchase (grocery shopping) and not just browsing, I fill out most of my check information in the car as well as adding the info to my check register. Then when I am checking out, I can watch the prices being rung up.

It's a chore that I hate, but admittedly, Meal Planning saves me the most grocery money. I use recipe sites to decide dinner for the next week or two, saving the recipes to my Bookmarks.

My dear husband has found that it's easy to shop for groceries for us on Sunday evenings. Not only that, but they seem to have great specials.

Todd King0 found this helpful

I use a three-pronged method to saving money at the grocery store and it can work for you, too. First, always cut and use coupons.

When shopping the grocery store, keep to the outside aisles. They put the sales on end caps. The farther you delve into the store the more money you'll spend. By Laura

This guide contains frugal tips for grocery shopping. There are many ways to save money when buying food for your family.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about grocery shopping strategies. Whether your goal is saving time or money, there are a number of strategies that can improve your grocery shopping experience.

This is a guide about keeping groceries cold. Sometimes we may travel quite a distance when grocery shopping.

Asparagus, Beans, Beef, Broccoli, Carrots, Celery, Corn, Cucumbers, Eggs, Fish, Lamb, Lemons, Peas, Onions, Pineapple, Pork, Potatoes, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Summer Squash, and Tomatoes.

Tips to use when you go grocery shopping. Post your ideas.

Answers

Best Answer

Lots of people carry a cooler in their vehicles so frozen purchases won't melt or dairy items ruining, before getting home. The cooler I have in my car has got a handle on the side and wheels on the bottom, so I can pull it behind me. I don't just use it for groceries, I've got several bags of anything, I'll put them in the cooler & pull it into my house, all at once. It cuts my time in 1/2 by doing this, plus if it's really hot or cold outside, I'm not catching cold or overheating by having to carry in lots of bags of purchased items.

By Terri

By Cathy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I used to go grocery shopping, then have to pick up groceries from bags that spilled during the trip home. Now, I always keep a couple of boxes in the boot of my car. When shoping, simply place the bags into the boxes and food won't roll out every time you turn a corner! Simply carry the box inside and unpack, but remember to put he boxes back in the car!

By Ricki (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Each store has a layout of what is in each aisle - take one and make it your friend. I have a form on Excel that I keep which has my complete grocery list in order of the store's layout - that way I'm not running back and forth. (i.e. Not all pastas are kept together.)

I just read an archived post 'Organizing With Free Boxes'. A person who commented gave one of the reasons for liking Aldi's, 'they rotate coupons'.

What does it mean to rotate coupons?

Answers

I did not find an official definition, but I know that retailers rotate their sales on a preordained schedule (IE certain things go on sale every 3 months, or every 6 months) so that then the coupons that are good for one period of time are good again later in 3 months or 6 months, etc.

I have never heard of this expression. There is a sales cycle. Most items go on sale every 12 weeks. Coupons come out a few weeks before the sale.

Tips to help you at the grocery store. Post your ideas.

In the frozen foods department. of a grocery store, a man and his son were shopping. As the man checked something off his shopping list, he was overheard to whisper to his son, "If we mess this up, your mother won't ever ask us to do it again."

By Terri H.