Frugal Tips for Grocery Shopping

This guide contains frugal tips for grocery shopping. There are many ways to save money when buying food for your family.

Are there items you wish you could afford but they just don't fit your budget? Items you would like to try but unsure how they'd taste and don't want to consider it a waste of money. Or, did you know items you already shop and buy can qualify toward cash back?!

I am here to share you my in-depth experience with Ibotta. I downloaded this app in January of 2018, but I didn't start using the app and redeeming offers until April 2018. My lifetime earnings from this app is $134.33. I have cashed out 6 times in increments of $20 (minimum payout) via PayPal. If you don't have a PayPal account don't worry, you can cash out with Venmo, or selected gift cards like Applebee's, Barnes & Nobles, Bass Pro Shops, eBay, Lowes, Target, Walmart, and etc.

Essentially with the Ibotta App, you can shop from 300 retail chains, restaurants, movie theaters, convenience stores, home improvement centers, pet stores, and pharmacies nationwide.

Example of some qualifying stores:

- CVS
- Costco
- Meijer
- Target
- Sprouts
- Walmart
- Jewel Osco
- Whole Foods
- Smart & Final
- Vons/Safeway
- And hundreds more!

Before you shop, you will be able to check offers of the stores you want to shop at and add them. You can also scan in store to see if there are any rebates that qualify as well. After shopping, scan your receipt and you'll get the amount back usually within a few minutes, or up to 48 hours. When you have a minimum of $20, you can cash out and receive your money instantly (via PayPal), I have not redeemed in the other methods so I cannot comment on that. What's great is that say the offers you already redeemed can refresh in a few days, so you can buy those items again. In addition new offers are added often and once in awhile bonus offers are added.

19 items pictured below are from offers I bought this week at Vons, Target, Walmart and Sprouts (these offers are still available on the app.)

Total out of pocket cost: $49.93
With this app, I got back $37.46, and you can immediately transfer to PayPal.

Essentially for everything pictured, I spent only $12.47!

TARGET

- Bolthouse Farms Balanced Smoothie - On sale $2 each. The offer is $1.50 back - limit 5. For 5 smoothies, I paid $10 and received $7.50. Total for 5: $2.50 or .50 cents each!!! This is a real big treat in our household.
- Sir Kensington's Ketchup Classic - $3.99, received $2 back from offer. Total $1.99. This is an essential I was already going to purchase so that was great!

WALMART

- Food Network Dressing - Buy at $2.98, get back $2.98 - total cost FREE!
- Organic Coffee Shot - Buy at $1.98, get back $1,98 - total cost FREE (CRV applies)

VONS

- Coconut Drink - On sale $3.50, received $1.50 back from offer. Total: $2.00 an essential for some cooking recipes!

SPROUTS

- Pacific Cashew - $3.99 each, buy 2 for $7.98. The offer is buy any 2, get $5. Total cost for 2: $2.98 or $1.49 each.
- Organic BOS Tea - $1.79, get back $1.79 - total cost FREE (CRV applies)
- Teavana 2 for $5. The offer is buy 2, get $2 back. Total cost for 2: $3 or $1.50 (CRV applies)

All of these items are not something we could afford in our budget but with this app, it is made possible! Your household can try new products, enjoy some splurges/treats or get cash back for items you already purchase! My account just refreshed on the dressing freebie at Walmart, so next time I go to Walmart I can grab another one!

A little lengthy post, but I wanted to share with you all some tips how I save money. I will be adding more ways coming up!

Link: https://ibotta.com/how

Grocery shopping is not as economical here in Canada, you do far less with coupons, and have to rely on wildly fluctuating prices. I buy only when on special and always buy at least four. I buy the largest sizes (more economical) and keep an eye on your pantry.

The only things here that are always the same are fresh milk and eggs. Eggs can be gotten at the local supplier cheaper. A great way to save on milk is a recipe for do it yourselfers: one cup powdered milk, one half cup of canned milk (buy it on sale) and 4 cups water. Mix well, chill overnight and no difference except the budget.

Buy dry goods in bulk, and store brands are very good quality and price. On extremely rare occasions, I have to pay full price, and am always mortified at the cost difference! Also the local bakery outlet is good to have on your to-do list; you save a bundle on rolls and bread. Of course, look for instore specials, and never pass a bulk Barn or a Dollar Store!

With a little practice, you can cut your food bills by one third to one half. Also, your dishwasher and washing machine do not require as much soap as the manufacturer says; and cold water is fine for clothes.

By Deborahann from East Margaree, Nova Scotia

After making a trip to the grocery store and seeing the continued escalation of food prices, I thought this would be a good time to remind all of us, me included of tips for saving money!

Source: These are tips I have collected and read about through the years from many sources, magazine articles, friends, family, and the internet plus several of my own!

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

Answers:

Frugal Tips For Grocery Shopping

I always try to stick to my list, but there almost always seems to be some really great deal on something not on my list that runs up my bill a bit. (05/29/2008)

By janice

Frugal Tips For Grocery Shopping

In reading one of my new newsletters, I came across your suggestions and wanted to thank you personally and say hello, after noticing where you were writing from.

Stopping the purchase and building of a home in Memphis metro, and accepting a marriage proposal; My daughter and I moved to Rockwall,TX. purchasing a home and living on Lake Rockwall; living there for several years. My daughter and I loved living in Rockwall, having some fond memories of our time together there. She loved attending the blue ribbon school, we loved our neighbors, church families, enjoyed living on the lake, and seeing the area grow adn change before our very eyes. We sure miss Rockwall and the Big "D"! Until after 9/11, our life was nice living in the Dallas metro of Rockwall, TX. Unfortunately, after 9/11, our life little by little crumbled, losing everything! Our place of employment for both me and my husband came to a halt after our company filed bankruptcy closing the doors, leaving us and many others with nothing; creating a snowball effect creating all kinds of pain and loss; which included our marriage and family broke up after my husband decided to turn his back, disappearing for a very long period of time.

While traveling to and from Dallas - Memphis aiding with immediate family, I felt forced to return to the Memphis metro to be with family, friends, and in hopes of regaining employment. After coming for a surprise visit during holiday season, I discovered the hard way the company I hired to care for my home and sell, skipped the country leaving my home to be foreclosed, which I learned the hard way after finding someone living in my home! Ouch!

Well, in spite of everything, I'm still a southern belle at heart, realizing we wouldn't be the people we are today had we not had ups and downs along the way, while traveling down the road of life. The Lord has made it possible for me to have a little job that doesn't make big bucks, but sure beats nothing.

Having spent many years in specialized ministry, working with all ages and working in different areas of the USA and Mexico, I realized the Lord blessed me with many gifts. In need of extra income,while living and serving in ministry in west TX, I had the opportunity to have a specialty shop where folks enjoyed reaping the benefits of some of my creations.

Again, having the need for extra income, and listening to words of encouragement from friends and family, the Lord has opened a door of opportunity for me to again sell my creations; from the comfort of my at home office - business allowing some peace, calm, and healing while designing my custom designed gift wrapping, and gift basket- containers for all occasions, and all ages.

In attempting to make the best of things, realizing God didn't promise us the beautiful rose garden without the thorns, life goes on; leaving behind our life in Dallas.

Do hope things are going well for you and your loved ones in Rockwall, Texas. Take care and have a great and blessed day! (05/30/2008)

By shelah

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes