Cooler in My Van

I keep a large ($10 at Dollar General) cooler in the back of my van for cold grocery items such as milk and meats. It lets me continue my shopping and not worry about something spoiling. I find that it works great except in summer with ice cream. Unfortunately, in summer, ice cream seems to melt quickly regardless of being put in the cooler with other cold stuff. I have shopped and ate dinner and still have cold products when I get home.

This also saves on gas, because I would not have to drive home just to put the cold items in the fridge/freezer. It allows me to my consolidate trips.

By Sandy Webber

befor i afforded myself a refrigerator with an ice maker/water despenser- i made a point to go to the store either as soon as it opened so it was a little cooler - or at night - to get ice or ice cream -- with or without the cooler ...& our store used to give us a special bag that fit a 1/2 gallon of ice cream - but they stopped doing that - probably on account of the cost to them - so i saved one & keep it in my car & they sell those thermal bags here for under &2 -- so thats a little extra chill

& when we go out of town in the summer to shop - we make sure to use the window cover & even cover things in the car with something to keep them shaded

I have done this for years too. The ice chest is so light, that I just keep it in my car trunk and do not consider it extra weight (gas consumption). It also works great in the winter--keeps my produce--like lettuce, and things like eggs from freezing. I keep some bags in it, in case I make an unexpected stop at Aldis or to help insulate just a few things that I might pick up.

This is a great idea. I keep meaning to put a cooler in my van because we have extras. It would definitely help when I have gone to the store first and have perishables and want to continue running errands.