Barbie Doll Clothing Crafts

Making doll clothes is often the first thing children learn to sew; it is also a popular craft activity for adults. This is a guide about Barbie doll clothing crafts.

January 6, 2011 Flag

I made these decorated "Barbie Doll Clothes Trunks" for my great-granddaughter who loved her Barbie dolls and wanted to take them everywhere she went along with every shoe, purse, and dress those dolls owned.

I am surprised at how well they held up over the years. The wine boxes are amazingly sturdy.

The trunks are very easy to make. Just a matter of cutting and pasting for the most part. You may (as I did) choose to paint the box first, then just embellish it anyway that you like.

I spent almost nothing to make the trunks, just using up materials and supplies that I already had left over from other projects.

It took me about 4 hours total of actual working time to complete the 2 trunks.

Approximate Time: 1 hour for painting, then overnight to dry. The next day, allow 1 to 2 hours to cut out and paste whatever you choose to decorate the "trunk" with. Again, you'll need to allow drying time for the glue now. I let it sit overnight again and it was enough.

1. Look for, (beg for, if necessary), the wooden wine boxes that often include 3 bottles of wine, or maybe they have 2 bottles of wine and 2 wine-glasses sometimes. They are ideal for one Barbie doll and her clothing.
  2. Begin by cleaning the box of anything that's not needed, like dividers or labels.
  3. Sand lightly, and dust.
  4. Paint with the acrylic paint of your chosen color, giving the box time to dry between several coats of paint, then allow it to dry thoroughly overnight.

5. The following day, use all of your imagination to decorate the box however you like. I used small satin ribbon and velvet ribbons all around edges in various areas, and tied ribbon knots here and there.
  6. Using wallpaper sample books, I just cut to size and glued in place (inside and out) until I was happy with what I'd done.
  7. I love adding silk flowers anywhere I can fit them in, and this is a good way to use up ones you've bought at a yard or tag sale.
  8. If you are really patient, you might enjoy filling the finished trunk up with handmade doll clothes for Barbie. They are so tiny that it takes patience to make nice ones.

Barbie fits in the "trunk" along with her clothes so that she's always ready to spend the night at Grandma's with your little granddaughter. Lucky you!

Having 2 Barbie dolls meant they each had to have their own I made 2.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

What I would have given for something like this to keep all my dollie's clothes in when I was a kid. This had to be a labor of love for you. It might not be as hard to do as it looks, but it certainly did turn out pretty.

Thank you Pookarina for sharing these darling little "trunks for dollies". Such a darling idea.

I have friends who are wine drinkers and I'm sure they must have at least one of these boxes lying around somewhere. I can see many other reasons for making these decorated boxes, and I'm sure I'll think of something. Yours are just beautiful.

I especially like it that you've decorated both the inside as well as the outside. That really makes them special. They would make excellent Keepsake storage boxes for all the cards and letters I get from my kids and hubby. Thanks Pookarina.

These are beautiful and you did a great job! Thanks for the idea and keep up the good work. :)

What a beautiful box! Your great grandaughter is very lucky to have you. I'm sure she will always remember this.

November 20, 2014 Flag

Yes, Barbie is all ready to hit the slopes with her new puffy hat! In no time flat, you can make a dozen of these cute hats for your little munchkin. My daughter squeals with delight whenever I hand her a new one. Have fun!

Barbie's Snowbunny Hat

July 19, 2007 Flag

This is a project that requires supervision for the first step. Decorating will keep the little girl's occupied without much help. Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F. Set cups on baking sheet, leaving plenty of room for the shaping.

Homemade Barbie Hats From Styrofoam

December 18, 2007 Flag

As I create and sew Barbie doll-size fashions, I came up with a way to keep my patterns organized. For each outfit of the pattern set, I use a 6 1/2-in x 3 5/8-in regular envelope.

October 30, 2013 Flag

I have a set of tweezers in my sewing stash. When I make doll clothes I turn the sleeves with my trusty tweezers. My hands are very large for a woman and I discovered years ago when making Barbie clothes for my friends, who had girls, that my hands were not made for turning out Barbie sleeves and pant legs. So I used my tweezers.

December 21, 2011 Flag

I would like to know where to find doll clothes for Skipper, Stacie, Chelsea, or Kelly Barbie dolls? Or simple ways to make them.

Thank you!

By Aleah Y. from Herriman, UT

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know what sizes the dolls you mentioned are, but look in the regular pattern books that fabric stores have. They have patterns for Barbie clothes so more than likely they have patterns for the other dolls, too.

Try here for some free Barbie patterns:

You can find some on Etsy and EBay for Kelly/Chelsea - kind of spendy though - $4-10 per dress plus a couple bucks shipping. For Skipper and Stacie, try some of the tighter-fitting Barbie items. A little ribbon as a "belt" to hold them on helps and they look really cute. If you have the time/ability, a bit of elastic or elastic thread will alter these items nicely.

Also, some of the other "fashion" doll clothes will fit. Some Monster High clothes will fit Stacie and Chelsea, Liv clothes will fit Skipper and Stacie, some Lalaloopsy will fit Chelsea, and I've had luck with some of the Winx doll items (their shoes are huge, but fit the Barbie Star Dolls, as will Liv shoes). Some of these dolls have deceptively tiny bodies (with oddly enormous heads), but again a bit of elastic helps, and the non-Mattel makers seem to put a lot more detail into their items.

Good luck!

December 15, 2013 Flag

I have a little sister, age 5. She is in love with Barbies. I know how to sew, but I am scared that if I try I won't have enough time to finish in time for Christmas. Can I make no sew Barbie clothes?

By Savanna

You can buy something in fabric departments that replaces sewing, but I don't know who durable it is and I also don't know what it is called. That being said you should be able to get two or three items made before Christmas, that is providing you will be using a sewing machine, and don't make the items real fancy. There was two-three years when my sisters were in middle school that they made and sold Barbie clothes to earn a little spending money.

One year they had so many orders that when our Dad had time he would sit and sew the snaps on the back openings to help out. I made Barbie clothes when my girls were little and I really hated making those little things, it isn't that they were hard to make, they were annoying. Stick to making items like a cotton A-line type dress, a pair of cotton pants, and a sleeveless shirt. They will be the easiest to make. Also sew little pieces of velcro to close the backs of the items.

December 12, 2009 Flag

I am trying to make a new set of clothes for my grandaughter's barbie dolls, but am finding it difficult because they are so small. Has anyone any good tips on how to do this? Many thanks.

By h.arnott from U.K

Thank heavens I am well past having to make Barbie clothes. I don't know of any advice to make it easier. They are a real pain to make. The only advice I have is I never made any of the fancy ones. I made basic A-line dresses & skirts. The tops were ones that didn't have darts in them, maybe just the side bust darts. I also made basic pants and shorts. If I made coats they didn't have set in sleeves, they were more the raglan type sleeve. That goes for the tops and dresses too. Set in sleeves are too hard on something that small. For fasteners I took tiny little pieces of velcro and sewed them on, just going forward, backward and forward again.

When my younger sisters were in their first couple years of high school they made this type of Barbie clothes to sell for spending money. They had so many orders for them that there were times our Dad was even sewing snaps on them. Oh yes! For hemming the necklines do that after you sew the shoulder seams but before you sew the side seams. The same goes for if you make a sleeveless dress or top. Only for the sleeveless ones hem the arm holes before sewing the side seams.

To make an evening gown you could just make the A-line dress long and put either some lace or sequins that are already sewn onto a ribbon type deal that all you would have to do is hand sew the sequins to the dress. If you are looking at patterns you might even find one that has a strapless evening gown pattern in it that is just like the A-line dresses. The dresses that have a separate top with an attached skirt are too hard to make. Hope some of these ideas help you out. Good luck and happy sewing!

Serge the crotch of the pants legs together with the right sides facing each other, then turn the pants right-side out.

Sew the Shirt

Step 1 Fold the strap pieces in half with right sides facing each other. Sew together. Turn the straps out and press each strap.

Step 2 Sew the straps to the top of the shirt with the right side of each strap matching the right side of the front of the shirt.

Step 3 Sew the back piece of the shirt to the front piece with right sides facing each other. Turn the shirt right-side out.

Step 4 Serge along the lower edge and sides of the shirt. Sew the lace to the lower edge of the shirt, if desired.

Step 5Gather the top edge of the bottom portion of the shirt to match the width of the top of the shirt. Sew the gathered piece to the top portion of the shirt with right sides facing each other.

Step 6Sew the back of the shirt closed but leave the top portion open near the straps. Attach Velcro to the portions left open. Good luck.

Ha! Ha!! I escaped from having to sew Barbie's teeny fashions. We had a son!

:0) :0)

Happy Hanukkah! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

February 21, 2011 Flag

I dress Goodfellow dolls every year. They are 13 inch dolls. It is hard to find patterns to sew or crochet. I would like to know if any one has any ideas for patterns they could share?

By oesforme from St. Clair Shores, MI

Clothes Patterns for 13 Inch Dolls

I just looked on the Simplicty web site and they have a pattern for doll clothes that comes in sizes 12 inches - 22 inches. It includes styles from christening gown to play clothes. I thought they were really cute styles. (09/23/2009)

By redhatterb

Clothes Patterns for 13 Inch Dolls

McCalls also has doll clothes patterns that have sizes 11 inches - 16 inches in one envelope. (09/23/2009)

By redhatterb

Clothes Patterns for 13 Inch Dolls

Have you looked on eBay? They have doll patterns there. (09/24/2009)

By drmeidl

Crafts Toys DollmakingJune 19, 2012
mini hangers
DIY Paper Clip Barbie Clothes Hangers
Making Crocheted Barbie Doll Furniture
Making Crocheted Barbie Doll Furniture
Barbie Doll
Restoring a Barbie Doll
Saving Money on Barbie Accessories