Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

My female Bassett hound has developed a rash all over her belly. It is the first year she has ever had

this. She is eating the same food and drinking the same water. All of a sudden she has red blotches and bumps

on her belly and under her little arms.

I took her to the vet and he said that he has had 10 other Bassett Hounds like this, but failed to

know the answer. He was going to call a dermatologist for pets, but I have not heard a response. I live

in the deep south and the heat is very hot. I have tried everything: calamine lotion, triple antibiotic,

and others.

Does anyone a home remedy that is affective.

Thanks and help please.

By Destiny

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

My sister has a Beagle with the same problem. Her vet says it is allergies and she now gets weekly shots.

Mandy, the Beagle, is much happier and no longer has a red belly. (06/16/2005)

By Betty

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

I melt some shea butter and add a drop or two of tea tree oil, let it cool and then rub it on my dog's

belly. The shea butter is soothing for allergies and the tea tree oil is a great natural antiseptic.

By Peggy

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

Just a thought that may be helpful; could it be a plant allergy? Basset hounds are not very high off the

ground and maybe she is walking through long grass and weeds. In Australia we have a weed called

Salvation Jane or Patterson's Curse. It is known to give dogs a rash and they can lose the hair on their

muzzles temporarily when it's in flower from sniffing through the long grass. It also gives me a rash on

my arms when weeding. Perhaps try keeping her indoors for a while with toilet outings on a lead so you

can keep her away from long grass.

A short term measure for the discomfort, to take the 'fire' out of the rash, would be 1%

hydrocortisone cream, (a light smear 3 times a day for a couple of days), which I use on myself. Not for

long term use though.

By Jo

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

I live in TX and everyone here has allergies, even our pets! Try Benadryl to start with, 1/2 a pill at a

time. (06/22/2005)

By suzi homemaker

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

My Basset has the same thing. It is a contact rash, he is allergic to cut grass. Everytime we weed-eat or

cut the grass, check out the belly, next day he has a rash. (06/24/2005)

By Judy

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

My Basset has the same problem. The vet gave me some medicated shampoo to use and it seems to work, the

rash does not seem to bother him, but I still use the shampoo and bathe him at least once a week. I was

told that it could have to do with stuff that they use on the grass, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

By Valerie

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

Our vet just gave our little Dachshund Mishka II a spray for her scratching an its called Malaseb made by

DVM Pharmaceuticals. Their email address is:

This spray says it's also for cats and horses too. The spray cost is about
$ 8.00 for a 8 oz. spray bottle and it seems to be working. I also noticed that when she goes out in the

yard an rolls around in the grass she comes back in an starts scratching. (03/17/2006)

By Jodi

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

A very good home remedy is calendula ointment. Apply 2 times a day to infected area using a thin coat.

Also vitamin E, 100 iu, per 10lbs of body weight 1 a day along with vitamin C, 100 mg, per 10lbs of body

weight. This is an all natural remedy and it works. I have a Dachshund who gets rashes from grass on her

chest mostly in summer and after it rains. A good oatmeal bath and calendula will work. (08/19/2006)

By Bonnie

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

Animax has cured any skin condition my dog has ever had. She had a rash on her armpit once that was so

difficult to get rid of, the vet even did a $200 biopsy on it. In the end, Animax ointment tube for about

$5 ended up getting rid of it. I've used it on other rashes she's gotten here and there, and it's cleared

it up well. (05/01/2007)

By Chad

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

Our Cocker just recently had the same problem and our vet told us it was a skin infection. He gave her

antibiotics and it cleared up. (09/10/2007)

By imaqt1962

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

I have a 1 year old Basset with the red bumps under her armpits and I do believe it's from laying out in

the grass so much. I have had other Basset Hounds get this too and it's really not a big deal. She only

gets the bumps in the summer time when its really hot and eventually it goes away on its own. Does not

bother her, just me. There really is not much to do about it except I wash her really good on her arms

when I bathe her and just try to keep her clean because dirt can accumulate under her arms. I take a warm

and cool wash rag with some very mild soap and wash her pits. Its just a little grass allergy.

By Teresa

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

My Basset Hound has allergies too. We tried all different foods and have kept her on Benadryl. I work at

a pet hospital so we have done a lot of trial and error with her. In the end, I got her allergy tested

and not only was she allergic to grasses, pollens and mold, she was also allergic to rice! Rice is in

every dog food. I have her on a special high protein, grain free diet and she is doing a lot better. She

still has flare ups, but I rub her down at night with Stop Itch wipes and it really helps. (06/13/2008)

By Aimee

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

You can try rubbing Neem tree oil on the rash and give your dog Neem tablets. It is a natural product and

has anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, and anti-fungal properties that help in fighting against skin

imbalances. It is also used to deter mosquitoes, fleas, flies, ticks, mites, and lice. (09/28/2008)

By mayadala

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

Rather than believing a dog is allergic to grass, I would tend to look to irritants in the home. Dogs do

most of their laying on the floor of your house, maybe chemicals in the carpet or cleaning agents used on

the floors or deodorizers, disinfectants, and such. Just seems more reasonable than an animal being

allergic to the natural world things. (11/22/2008)

By Jeff

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

You need to be very careful about what you apply topically to your dog, as they will lick and ingest

whatever you're putting on them. So if you can't take the medicine by mouth, you shouldn't be putting it

on them! Zinc ointment, for instance. (12/30/2008)

By ahastings7878

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

How about mites (mange)? Did they do a scraping? (02/09/2009)

By ahastings7878

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

My boyfriend had a dog with a rash and scabs all over it's body. I used mineral oil on it and the rash

went away. Took about 2 weeks or so, but it went away and didn't come back. Hope this helps. (08/01/2009)

By lorraina

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

My Dusty had terrible rashes that she would chew incessantly. She was to the vet, got shots, pills,

cream, but nothing helped. She had to wear a bonnet so she wouldn't chew. I tried eliminating things

one by one. I found the culprit. It was dog chewy sticks made in China. I eliminated them and she has

had no problems since. I tried once to bring them back and the rash appeared again. Hope this may help

someone. (11/11/2009)

By Emmdust

Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly

I took my Basset to a dermatologist. I had scratch tests done. He's mostly allergic to local pollens,

dust, dust mites, and molds. The treatment is weekly medicated shampoo, leave on lotion, anti-

histamines, anti-fungals and weekly allergy shots. I hope this helps him. Other Bassets - get

dermatological help. (11/23/2009)

By Leethelb

height="300" alt="RE: Basset Hound With a Rash on Belly" />

Looking at Dog's Rash
Treating a Dog's Rash
Smiling Woman in Belly Dance Costume
Making a Belly Dancer Costume
How to Belly Dance, Beautiful Bealldancer
How to Belly Dance
Basset Hound
Basset Hound Breed Information and Photos
Getting Rid of Belly Fat
Getting Rid of Belly Fat