Basset Hound Breed Information and Photos

Breed Description: The Basset Hound is a scenting hound with a majestic, domed-shaped head, long velvety ears and a body that is said to be half a dog in height, but twice a dog in length. The Basset Hound is a short-legged dog relative to its size and is heavier in bone than any other breed of dog. Second only to the Bloodhound, this breed has a keen scenting ability and makes a devoted companion.

Group: Hound Group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting rabbits and hares over difficult terrain

Country of Origin: French ancestry

Average Size: 40-60 lbs. and 13-15 inches tall

Color(s): Basset Hounds are typically tri-colored black, white and tan, and can also be lemon and white.

Coat Type: Short, smooth, shiny coats, with wrinkles of skin between their knees and feet.

Grooming: The Basset Hound's coat requires minimal brushing to stay in top condition. This breed requires standard care for eyes, pads and nails, but special care is needed for their long delicate, ears. They should be examined and cleaned with a cotton swap regularly.

Exercise Needs: This breed lives happily in either a house or an apartment, but needs regular exercise to prevent obesity. Extended periods of running or jogging, however, can cause damage to the dog's hips, legs and back. They tend to follow their nose into dangerous situations and are safest on a leash or in a secure, enclosed area.

Temperament: The Basset Hound is affectionate, gentle and extremely devoted. Known for their mild, sensitive nature, they can also be very stubborn and conveniently "hard of hearing." This breed gets along well with people and other pets, but possesses a pack mentality and does not prefer to be left home alone for longs periods of time.

Common Ailments: Prone to ear and skin infections and also to obesity, which can lead to hip, spine and leg problems.

Life Expectancy: average 8-12 years

Trivia: "Basset", when used to describe a dog breed, is derived from the French adjective "bas", meaning "low thing" or "dwarf."

More Information: Basset Hound Club of America

Read More or Comment...

Thanks for the thorough info sheet - I have 4 precious Basset babies! And I can attest to all of the above!

Well, as you can see from my screen name I just
"lovethosehounds". Bassets are the best. We had one for 10 1/2 years and he was a dog comedian at heart.

One of the saddest days of my life was the day we had to have him put down. He had gotten paralysis in his back end and there was nothing more the vet could do. He lives on in our hearts.

Basset Hound Photos

Share Your PhotoCheck out these Basset Hound Photos shared by the ThriftyFun community!.

We got Peanut when he was 10 weeks old.

Dog and baby.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 60

Last time it snowed, I was out on my deck taking pictures of the snow covered trees in my back yard. I caught my neighbor's Basset Hound, Lola, running down the hill, her ears straight out like she was going to take off!

Lola (Basset Hound)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

Burt is a 9 year old Basset Hound. Burt was adopted after his previous owner left him in a sweltering car with windows up while she was getting a tattoo. She was alerted several times and laughed it off.

Burt, a Basset Hound, lying in the yard in the sun.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 15

I'd like to introduce you to Snoop, my 12 year old, photogenic, loving, goofy, Basset Hound. He happily runs to me, as shown in this picture, when I go outside to see him and visit with him.

Snoop the Basset Hound

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Miss Angel Diane is a 9 year old Basset Hound (full blooded). Our family bought our basset for my daughter's 5th birthday from a breeder in Bath, Maine. She was the runt of her litter with big ears and a heart shape white spot on her head.

Miss Angel Diane (Basset Hound)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

This is Bo Buddy. He is a rescue but I think he is over 10 years old. He is a Basset hound from his moan to his howl. I agreed to foster him 2 years ago for a rescue group. He was very ragged and underweight and unpredictable, just covered with horrible large scars.

Comment Like this photo? 14

Shy is my 8 month old Basset Hound. I got her in September 2010 via the internet. She loves to go on walks and bug the cat. She likes to hide her bones.

Shy (Basset Hound)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Cuddles will be 12 this coming December 21st. She is a pure breed lovable, bossy Basset Hound. My child had always wanted one of this type of dog. So as a February 14th surprise we drove about fifty miles down to MS.

Cuddles (Basset Hound)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Greenville Bart is a 10 year old Basset Hound. We foster Basset Hounds for Carolina Basset Rescue. In December of 2010 we were asked to take in a dog pulled from a dog pound upstate from us. That was when we received Bart. He was skinny, had a skin infection and a thirst that couldn't be satisfied.

Bassett on dog pad.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Charlie loves to be in front of the camera.

Charlie looking at camera.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Max was a 12 year old Basset Hound. My son gave Max to us when he and his wife divorced in 1999; Max was 2 years old then. Max liked to play with his buddy Roscoe (he's a Chihuahua mix) whom he grew up with in Sacramento.

In Memory Of Max (Basset Hound) sniffing at sunflowers.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

This is Howlie and her sister, Lilly. They are 22 months old Basset Hounds. I received Howlie in December of 2007 at six weeks old. I received Lilly when she was 6 months old in June of 2008. I got both of them from my son. He has the Mama and Daddy and their other sister.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Constance Joy is a 10 month old Bassett Hound that my daughter got for me. She likes to dig up my flower beds and annoy our cats. She greets everyone with sloppy kisses and she doesn't know a stranger.

Comment Like this photo? 8

This is Gargamel. He is a young rambunctious basset hound boy who's curiosity keeps

Comment Like this photo? 6

Babbs is a 10 year old Basset Hound. When I met my husband, he had her. She was by herself. Now we have found her friends. She loves to bury every bone we bring home.

Comment Like this photo? 5

She and I competed in Obedience Trials and also did pet therapy at nursing homes and a group home for handicapped adults.

Daisy in Santa's lap.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Humphrey is a 3 year old Basset Hound. He was adopted at PetsMart Super Adoption

Humphrey (Basset Hound)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Chloe is a 5 year old Basset Hound. I got her when she was 18 months old.

Chloe - Basset Hound

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Adult dogs need a healthy diet to prevent illness and to maintain a good weight. This is a page about feeding an adult Basset Hound.

An adult basset hound on a white background.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Basset HoundMarch 15, 2013
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-11 21:46:13 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️