Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Bobbin Getting Tangled

It is extremely frustrating to sit down to your sewing machine to start a project only to have it malfunction. This is a guide about bobbin getting tangled.

February 19, 2016 Flag

I bought a sewing machine at a yard sale and I can't get the bobbin to work. It gets tangled in the bobbin case. What can I do to get it working right? It's from Italy and is called a Stretch _Sew machine. Any help would be appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I got a secondhand machine and had this problem until I tried a different height bobbin and it worked fine.

Just a thought as it happened again for me. It actually was the thread. It was faulty. So try changing the actual spool.

It is very important to have a manual with any machine. Here is a link to try to find yours; http://www.sewitworks.com/manuals/

July 18, 2016 Flag

I'm ready to throw my Singer Tradition sewing machine out of the window. I'm about two thirds of the way through making a dress and now the thread keeps getting caught above the bobbin so that there are several threads coming up through the hole and everything jams.

I ran out of thread in the bobbin so I made a new one and since then the machine gets jammed after sewing successfully for about 20-30cm. It works fine up to that point.

I have rethreaded the top and bottom several times, made a new spool, taken the whole thing to pieces for a good clean, changed the tension on the top and bottom, put in a new needle, tried different fabrics, and tried using different thread. After every troubleshooting attempt the same thing happens: it sews fine for 20cm and then jams up.

I am completely out of sensible ideas. The manual for this machine is useless. My next attempt will involve getting out a screwdriver and taking the entire machine to pieces.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Breath...I know this problem and think I can help. If your bobbin thread is "misthreaded" even by a couple of rows, it will mess you up. I make sure when I wind a bobbin that it goes up and down, "bouncing" off each side so the thread is wound evenly.

If this isn't the case, it might be that your thread is not "catching" properly.

If this doesn't help you might need to see a sewing repair person. Or, check with your local thrift store and find a nice second hand one. Even the new ones might be cheaper than repair...which can be spendy.

I hope that helps.

PBP

October 30, 2011 Flag

I have a top loading Singer heavy duty 4411. I got it today and it worked fine for a while, then for some reason it would jam. When I managed to get the fabric out, I saw that string from the top had gotten tangled in the bobbin casing. It was so bad that I had to cut the threads out and pull out the fibers.

I've tried re-threading, rewinding, and re-everything! The bobbin is in the right way, I have already switched out the needle, and this is a brand new machine. Even if I just turn the handle manually without a bobbin, the thread still gets caught around the bobbin casing in the same places. I have no idea what to do and I need to finish my Halloween costume for tomorrow. Please help.

By John D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I hope you were able to get your costume done in time. It sounds as if the problem might be that the bobbin tension needs adjusting. Even though you have a brand new machine and the tension was adjusted at the factory, it's possible that it was un-adjusted during shipping. Or the entire bobbin casing could have come from the factory upside down, I've heard of that happening.

Or you could be using the wrong needle and thread for your project, the pressure could adjusted incorrectly. The thread could be old (even if you just bought the thread the day before you started the project, because a lot of the threads in the store racks are anywhere from 1-5 years old. The older the thread the more troubles it can cause during sewing).

Actually, there are several reasons this could be happening and most of those reasons are usually 'pilot error', lol. Check the manual section on troubleshooting your machine, should have info there on what's happening.

Don't give up, you have a fine machine there that should give you years of reliable service.

Hey I have the same machine and had to pack away my project when the thread from the top kept tangling in the casing for the bobbin. What I also noticed was that the hand wheel was a little stiff when I turned it. A few days later I decided to give it ago again put the problem persisted.

I decided to removed the metal top which housed the bobbin and used a small brush to remove any dust (even if you can't see any still carefully bush the insides while turning the hand wheel). I continued this until the hand wheel started moving freely. I retreaded the machine and that solved the problem. Hope this helps someone.

I just bought the same machine today (1/15/15). I was sewing "sew-on" Velcro to neoprene. I sewed two 4"X2" pieces and then the machine was done. 2 or 3 stitches and then the hook/bobbin was totally jammed with thread. upon closer examination, it seems the hook would catch the thread the first time, but the bobbin thread would not come up through the plate. As the hook rotated around, it would pull more thread off the bobbin until it was a complete mess. I called Singer and after 15 minutes on hold, the recording said they were now closed. I'm going to try the cleaning recommendation and if that doesn't work, I am going to try to return it tomorrow. At $129 it seemed like a good buy for a "Heavy Duty" machine.

I want to know why my thread keeps getting tangled in the bottom bobbin on my sewing machine.

I have a similar machine and sometimes the thread falls off the thread take-up lever. Try rethreading the top thread.

October 30, 2010 Flag

My sewing machine was working fine until I took the plate off to clean out the dust and stuff underneath it. When I put everything back on and turned my machine back on and started to sew the bobbin started pulling and jamming. Then I have to pull out the fabric and it has a lot of thread on the bottom like it is pulling lots of thread. The machine keeps stopping. What did I do? Can anyone help.

By Donna from FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If this happens on my Elna it means that the Bobbin is either in, upside down, OR I have NOT threaded the feed from the spool of thread properly. Often it will do this on its own.

Please see answer above. Note; you can tell if Bobbin is upside down (in wrong) if the thread is NOT turning counterclockwise. Must turn counterclockwise. Also, make sure that you have not inadvertently bumped the tension adjuster. Helps if we know the make of the machine, as adjustments differ on each brand. Cheers!

I have had this happen occasionally, but not enough to be bothered about it. After about 60 years of sewing almost everything, it took me until about 10 years ago to discover that you definitely shouldn't start a seam at the very edge of the fabric. Whenever I would do that I would end up with the thread and edge of seam "gnarly". Then one day I read that to prevent that from happening you should start sewing about 1/4" in from the edge of the fabric. It's amazing what that does.

Thanks for all the comments. I cleaned out as recommended and it still wasn't working. Turns out I was using the wrong settings. Thanks again for all the advice. Super helpful.

What do you mean, wrong settings? I am having the same problem. Please help.

The different settings refer to the upper tension wheel, the lenght of stitch, the width (if doing zig zag or anything other than straight/running stitches) and the pressure of the peddle. The settings differ depending on what material you use. Hopefully if you have a manual for your machine it will give you a chart of guidelines of what are the best settings to use. You should be able to find the manual online if you don't have one.

March 8, 2014 Flag

I have a Singer 1120 sewing machine that is giving me threading problems. When I sew it'll jam up or get stuck mid-way. When I stop to check what is wrong and I pull the testing fabric I notice a lot of thread is coming from the bobbin area. I've done everything from re-spooling the bobbin, reconnecting it, to even re-threading it and it's the same thing over and over. I've even checked the timing and the timing is still good on it. Please help.

By Sharon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all - either check your manual troubleshooting pages, or download this free copy from the Singer website:

http://www.sing  e608f6b0537a.pdf

The troubleshooting guide is on page 74. You may want to print this out to have on hand without having to have the computer up:)

Now, have you checked your bobbin case, the area where the bobbin case seats back into the machine, and the area under the throat plate (where the feed dogs come up through to the top) for bits of debris (thread bits, fuzz, lint, etc)? That's usually what causes the problem you're experiencing. *Don't use an air spray duster! This will only blow the lint further into the machine. Instead, use a mini-torch (flashlight) to look, then long tweezers or a skinny paint brush to remove any debris.

If that doesn't help, go through the following, and if those don't solve your problem it's time for a visit to the Singer repair tech:

Are you positive you're seating the bobbin case into the machine correctly? You've probably been doing this for years but on older machines with that front (or side) load system the catch wears and sometimes it helps to follow the insertion instructions step-by-step from the manual.

Are you using the correct needle, thread, tension, and feed dog settings for the fabric you are trying to sew?

Are you alining the fabric start edge completely under the presser foot before starting to stitch, or have you got into the habit of starting your stitching with the fabric edge lined up with the needle instead of the presser foot end?

Are you holding the thread tail taut (but not too taut - you're 'helping' not pulling!) when you start stitching to help the fabric along through those first stitches? (Especially helpful when stitching very fine or very thick fabrics)

Again, if the above doesn't help it may be time to take the machine in for servicing. Your machine is an older one, and may have some worn plastic or silicone gear teeth that need to be changed.

Get out your manual if you have one and check the directions for checking bobbin tension. Usually a screw in the bobbin case.

October 7, 2013 Flag

The bobbin thread is catching and bunching up under the fabric. I can sew a few stitches (3-4) then my thread catches. When I pull the fabric up (quite forcibly) there is a ball of tangled thread underneath. What am I doing wrong?

By TAJDunk

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As per previous answers the problem is caused by the setting on your machine. Tension wheel needs lowering in number.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesMarch 11, 2014
Sewing Machine
Bobbin Case Keeps Falling Out of a Sewing Machine
Reuse Slinky As Note Holder on your desk.
How to Reuse a Slinky
A gold chain.
Removing Tangled Hair from Jewelry
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 2:41:13 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.