Budgeting Advice for High School Seniors

Category Budget
Young girl laying in bed with a laptop holding a credit card
After high school begins a new stage in a person't life, whether they plan to go to college or move out and find a job. This is a guide about budgeting advice for high school seniors.

I'm a senior in high school, with less than 60 days until graduation.

I've worked at a part time job for about 4 years and I have nothing to show for it. I seriously have not saved any money at ALL!

I'm getting an apartment with my best friend in early August. But I'm SO stressed about money.

I've been reading, and I have to say, thank you SO much for your tips, but anything else you guys could think of that would help me out would be so wonderful!

I need a budget but I don't know how to begin one. Please help!

Jordan Anne

Best Answer

Jordan Anne,

Everyones been there. The benefit you have is you're still young.

Sit down with a piece of paper and create headings:

INCOME (less taxes)-FIXED EXPENSES (this would include items such as-car payments /rent/ utilities/

phone/insurance etc. )VARIABLE EXPENSES (this would include credit card payments(begin with the minimums and gradually work up to paying a bit more each time)/ gasoline, groceries, entertainment, shopping etc.) This gives you an idea how to sort it out and see where you are putting your money verses where it NEEDS to go. A really good idea is to take your daily, weekly, monthly and annual expenses and sort them out together. For example: if your car insurance is 1200 annually you will need to budget in $100 monthly to be sure you have enough money for that item when the bill arrives.

Hope this is what you're looking for!

Julie:)

Best Answer

Hello,

You are half way there already.. just WANTING to have a budget is half the battle !

First track your spending.. no matter how small.

Second .. read Anything by Dave Ramsey :-)

Third.. when you get paid.. give 10% to church... save 10% and spend 10% according to your budget.

Budget will include car insur. clothing.. entertainment& misc.

Some use the envelope system.. set aside a determined amount for each catagory.. when the envelope is empty !! no more spending :-)

Take care !

Lisa

As you are just starting out, you really have no idea what some of your costs are going to be. I found a 4 page budget for here: http://www.ourf … com/budget1.html

To begin, copy down which expenses you will have. Here at my home, I list them on the front of a 6x9 manilla envelope, titled by month. The bills are listed in order of when they are due. (actually, I created it on the computer and print them onto the envelope)

I also list the estimate of what I expect each bill to be. The actual payment is written in after I pay the bill. I can easily identify if I have misplaced a bill this way.

The paid bills are put in the envelope, along with bank reconcilations and other fiscal documents.

Good Luck, have fun and remain thrifty!

After you plan your budget, make sure you keep track of where your money actually goes. We keep all our reciepts and enter all our expenses on an spread sheet once a week-- it is really an eye opener to see how what we planned to do with our money differs from what we actually do. For instance, If you plan to spend 150 on groceries, but you really spend 250, this is important to know for future budget planning. Or, if you planned to spend 50 on going out with friends but you really spend 150, you need to know that, so you will know where to cut back. If you don't tell your money where to go, someone or something else will!