Burnt Revere Pan

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean a burnt Revere stainless steel pan (burnt from cooking oatmeal). I can't seem to get the black off the bottom of the pan. I have tried to soak it in water and cream of tartar - that barely made a dent on the burnt bottom.

Appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

Cnil from No CA

Answers:

Burnt Revere Pan

I know you don't want to hear this but I have done the same thing and all I can recommend is Cameo Stainless Steel Cleaner and lots of elbow grease. I do have a Black and Decker ScumBuster that helped with the elbow grease! (01/06/2006)

By Binka

Burnt Revere Pan

Make a paste of Baking soda and a small amount of hot water to the level of the burn inside the pan. Leave it overnight. With a spoon, loosen all the debris possible and discard, Repeat, scraping with the spoon until you get to the point after repeated treatments of the soda overnighters that you can use an SOS pad successfully. If the bottom is copper-clad, Twinkle copper cleaner or ketchup or salt and vinegar will restore the shine after you have scrubbed the bottom of the pan. (Using a spoon inside the pan allows you to burnish the round parts of the pot without scraping the metal as a knife would.) (01/06/2006)

By Cate

Burnt Revere Pan

I've always had good results with letting it soak with powdered dishwasher detergent in it dissolved in hot water.
Best of luck
(01/06/2006)

By Carol

Burnt Revere Pan

Try putting some vinegar in the pan and boiling it for several minutes. Then rinse out the pan and use a "scratcher" of some sort to take off the crud. (01/06/2006)

By Robin

Burnt Revere Pan

I always put a little bleach and let it soak over night. That always does the job. (01/06/2006)

By Tee

Burnt Revere Pan

Put a used dryer sheet in the pan, fill with hot water, and let it soak overnight. Then just wash it out as you normally would. I've used this several times and it has always worked. (01/06/2006)

By Starielle

Burnt Revere Pan

The suggestion using the baking soda & hot water over night will do the trick. I've used it many times.My Revere Ware is 54 years old. (01/06/2006)

By Juanita

Burnt Revere Pan

I just burnt the bottom of my big stainless soup pot. I used hot tap water and liquid dish soap and left it in the sink overnight to soak. Today I rinsed it out and used a stainless pancake turner to scrape off the gunk.Then followed that with Barkeepers cleanser and a wet scrubby sponge. Cleaned up just like new. And this pot was my mom's and she had them over 60 years. (01/06/2006)

By Great Granny Vi

Burnt Revere Pan

I did the same thing, used a tablespoon of baking soda and boiled it with hot water, let it cool overnight. You may have to do this a couple of times, be sure and loosen the burn after each time. By the way I now use Instant Oatmeal which does not taste the same but does not burn any more pots.
Margaret (01/07/2006)

By wookieland

Burnt Revere Pan

I inherited several copper clad bottom Revere pans from an aunt who had been blind for several years. They were all badly burned. I used a paste of lemon juice and baking soda to clean them. (01/07/2006)

By Jeanne

Burnt Revere Pan

Another way to clean burned-on food is fill the pot with water and bring to boil. Add a healthy amount of bleach then let the water continue to boil. Eventually all the stuff is lifted, disappears or gets so soft it's easy to remove. My grandmother taught me this and it's worked for over 40 yrs. It works well on cast iron frying pans, too. (01/07/2006)

By gator10tx

Burnt Revere Pan

I don't have that cookware, but I know when I have had burnt food on the bottom of a pan, I put a fabric softener sheet in and add boiling water to it and set it for the night. When I tried it I was skeptical but it worked.

Ziggee (01/07/2006)

By Ziggee

Burnt Revere Pan

Buy some stainless steel polish. It causes a chemical reaction that results in the lifting of stains. (01/11/2006)

By cookwie

Burnt Revere Pan

Well I don't know if it'd work on a pot but I used a Mr Clean Magic Eraser to get baked on food and grease off my loaf pan. It's a clear Pyrex pan that I'd made meat loaf in and after letting it soak with hot soapy water all night, it still had some baked on gunk. I thought what the heck, I'd try my magic eraser and sure enough it took all that stuff off effortlessly. I'm not sure if it would dull the finish or not so try just a small spot first. I used to use Revere Ware and got real tired of cleaning those copper bottoms. Now I use T-Fal! (01/11/2006)

By Debbie52

Burnt Revere Pan

Hi I just want to let everyone know, that I happen to burn my pan from not putting enough water in the pan to boil my veggies. My 1st time ever doing this the pan isn't a cheap pan. So I googled "how to clean burnt pan" and got this awesome site. I boiled the pan in water, dish soap and vinegar while stirring the whole time, within 10 min of stirring it all came off! (07/05/2007)

By Flowerofpraises

Burnt Revere Pan

I removed as much of the burned on food as possible, then sprinkled salt generously in the pan. I added a couple inches of water and put it back on the stove to simmer a while. Most of the stuff came out with a little scraping. (07/22/2007)

By ladybug987

Burnt Revere Pan
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
hot pan
Removing Melted Fabric from Cookware
🎉
🎄