Buying Essential Oils

Dropper with a single drop on the tip over an amber bottle against green folliage background
Essential oils are used in many craft projects and homemade cosmetics. This is a guide about buying essential oils.

Where can I buy affordable essential oils?

By Polly31543 from Nahunta, GA

Best Answer

During my years of making soaps and bath products, I have tried many different oils and wanted to stick to natural when I didn't grow my own. The best place I found and have been doing business with for over 20 years is www.aromadeterra.com. They ship fast and free shipping over $24.00. And, they have a great product. They are also on Facebook.

Best Answer

Try www.mountainroseherbs.com

Here is a link to the Wikipedia entry on essential oils (and as Pixiedust7 said, essential oils are different from fragrance oils):

http://en.wikip  ki/Essential_oil

Can someone tell me where to buy the essential oil at a good price? All of the sites that I have checked are very expensive. Also, do you add water to the alcohol and essential oil when making the Berger lamp fuel?

Linda from Thayer, MO

Answers:

Buying Essential Oils at a Good Price

It sounds like you are looking for a source from the internet, but recently I have found some good essential oils at the dollar store by us, so if you are in a location near any dollar stores, that may be an idea for you. (12/14/2005)

By Kersti

Buying Essential Oils at a Good Price

Here is a recipe for using fragrance oils in your lamp.

• 16 fluid oz. isopropyl alcohol 91% vol. (473 ml). (Do not use "ethyl" or any other type of alcohol.)

• .3 oz. of fragrance oil (8.86 ml), this equals to 1 3/4 teaspoons.

• Add more oil if you want a stronger scent. Try adjusting by increasing fragrance oil at .1 oz. increments.

I buy some of my oils at Walmart. My friend only uses one scent in her lamp, and she buys it on eBay. Try searching for fragrance oil.

(12/14/2005)

By mkymlp

Buying Essential Oils at a Good Price

Please make sure whether you are buying fragrance oils or essential oils; they are different. Fragrance oils are chemically made and essential oils are derived from plants. There are restrictions in using some essential oils in products for children, pregnant women, persons with heart problems, etc. I use both in the soap I make, but make sure to add any necessary precautions. (12/20/2005)

By Sally

To: melody_yesterday

You posted a recipe for making fragrance oil for fragrance lamps. I located the 91% alcohol that you recommended but as yet I have not located the perfume or essential oil that your recipe called for. Your recipe is as follows:

16oz. 91% isopropyl alcohol
3oz. essential or perfume oil

Your message stated that it was much cheaper to make your own fragrance oil for fragrance lamps.

Thank You.
FANCi

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

I buy mine @ AC Moore's. I'm sure any craft store in your area will carry it, hope this helps. (09/07/2005)

By Tammy M.

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

Try eBay. You can get some really good deals even with shipping prices there. That's where I get many of mine. Also, try calling a few of the natural stores in your area. If they don't carry what you want, ask who might - it works well! (09/08/2005)

By smcarney

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

You can also try a health food or natural foods store. (09/08/2005)

By Maryeileen

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

This is what I found, I believe it was posted on Thrifty Fun. It calls for .3 ounces of oil.

Here is a recipe for using Scent It fragrance oils in your Lampe Berger:
16 fl oz. isopropyl alcohol 91% vol. (473 ml) (Do not use ethyl or any other type of alcohol.)
.3 OZ. of fragrance oil (8.86 ml)
(Add more oil if you want a stronger scent. Try adjusting by increasing fragrance oil at .1 oz. increments.

(09/08/2005)

By mkymlp

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

Try the Bath & Body Works store. (09/10/2005)

By Julie

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

Essential oils can be bought at massage places. (01/04/2006)

By mgriggs59

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

I am having the same problem, it seems that by the time you buy the oils you could buy the stuff already made for not a whole lot more. I have experimented and found that if you have a problem with your wick going out, only fill your lamp 1/4 full. Also let it flame for a full 3 minutes. There are some great sites I've found with pretty decent prices on the stuff already made up. Google "Janabelle's Island Boutique". 16oz bottles for 5.99 can't be beat even with the shipping. Some places will ship free if you buy certain amounts. (02/19/2006)

By Jim A

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

I buy my fragrance oils at Wellington Fragrances on the internet. They have a huge supply and very nice people. (10/27/2006)

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

I found essential oils at General Nutrition Center in the Dallas Fort Worth TX area. One web site I read said try your local herbalist. (11/08/2006)

By oredwine1933

Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?

You can get it about anywhere, do not be fooled. Any oil will work, if it is not a heavy weighted oil. I started out with local Walmart type oils in the craft section, then I started into candle making and bought several kinds from reliable makers like Bittercreek, Scents Are Us, etc. - you can also buy on eBay under my link of fancynancys1stopshope. I also sell diffuser kits so you can make your own diffuser, check them out. I also have lampe berger wicks for sale too. I have just placed another overseas order and so my stock is completely gone at this time, but should be back within 3 weeks. Thanks, Nancy (01/21/2007)

By fancynancys1stopshope

RE: Where Can I Buy Essential Oils?