Homemade Facial Mask Recipes

Category Facials
Face masks are a common part of a beauty regimen and can easily be made at home from natural products. Common ingredients can include avocado, honey, essential oils, yogurt and more. This is a guide for making homemade facial masks.

OK, so I just rinsed this off my face and I have to say, it's amazing!

After looking at several other facial recipes on here, I began to notice a pattern of the things people are putting on their face. I did some research then went into my kitchen and literally threw everything into a bowl that required minimal effort (I was too lazy to cut an avocado or kiwi or anything else of that nature). So because of the spontaneousness of this situation, I didn't really measure anything out. However I can estimate for you guys:

Now keep in mind, 1 part is like a dash of something. OK, so here are the reasons why I put each thing in: baking soda exfoliates and heals blemishes; lemon juice is a natural astringent, it loosens the surface skin cells so that they fall off revealing new, fresh skin; milk is for hydrating; oatmeal cleanses, relieves redness, irritation, and dryness, absorbs and removes dirt, is high in antioxidants, and is a gentle exfoliator; and finally flour contains vitamin E and removes dead skin cells.

So all you have to do is mix all the ingredients together (it should be a relatively thick paste with blotches of oatmeal) and apply it on your face with a clean foundation brush or even you fingers.

I completely covered my face and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Afterward, splash a little water onto your face to moisten it up a bit more (by now your skin should be feeling very tight). Then massage the oatmeal into your skin to gently exfoliate. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Then completely rinse off.

Your skin should feel soft and refreshed!

By magikLAF

My friend and I were messing around; pretty much sticking everything we had ever heard was good for facial masks in a blender and whipping it up. we actually came up with a really nice one! it feels really good.

Ingredients

Directions

Like I said, we just stuck it all in a blender. Whip it until it makes a thick paste. If it's too dry, add more milk. Too wet, more cornmeal. Remember to take the tea out of the tea bags. You just want the leafy bits. The first time around, my friend just stuck the whole bag in. : p That made for an interesting mask.

Splash some hot water on your face to open up your pores before you start. Use it as a scrub at first. Make circles on your face with your fingertips with it. Once you've given your face a good scrub, pat on more in an even layer to make a mask of it. Don't leave it on for more than 15 minutes. (I've never left it on that long so I dont really know what would happen. You can be brave and daring and try if you feel so inclined). Wash it off with warm-hot water.

This makes enough for about 5 facials. Perfect for a girl party, or hey, even a guy party. Hope you enjoy it!

By Melanie from Wenatchee, Washington

My mom used egg whites as a facial mask, she always had a beautiful complexion (you never would have known she was 77). I used it when I was a teenager, I always had pretty clear skin myself. I have had people comment that I still have such a smooth complexion, I don't use them all the time because, quite frankly, I forgot about it. I remembered it a couple of days ago, so I'm going to start them again.

Instead of using eggs, separating them and wasting the yolks, I bought a carton of egg whites, it's a lot cheaper than commercial facial masks, you just put a little in a cup or bowl and whisk it as though you're going to scramble them (don't add any salt or pepper) .

Smooth it over your (dry) face and wait a few minutes for it to dry. You'll feel your skin pulling tighter but it's not painful, it actually feels pretty nice. Rinse it off with warm water. I've even put it on before my shower and rinsed it off in there. I have very sensitive skin and, since this is natural, it doesn't bother my skin at all. If you try this, I hope you like the results.

Great for exfoliating away all the icky dry skin!

Directions:

Combine the hot water and aspirin until the tablets dissolve into a crumbled paste.

You can mix the paste with honey if you choose, or apply the aspirin paste to your face alone. Apply in circular motions to exfoliate.

Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse. Your skin will feel amazingly soft and any noticeable blemishes will be on their way out in no time!

I believe the aspirin has some sort of ingredient that's great for exfoliating, but I couldn't recall it for the life of me.

WARNING: Avoid this if you have aspirin allergies.

By Ashley

Mix oatmeal (ground or regular) and a little bit of honey. Mix and apply it to your face. Leave on till it dries; then just wash it off gently with warm water and a washcloth.

Source: my cousin

By Irish from Aurora, CO

Mix it together and rub it on your face. Lay on the floor (with a towel under you) for ten minutes. Rinse off.

Blend ingredients in a blender. Pat on face and leave on until dry. Rinse.

Here are recipes for homemade facial masks posted by the ThriftyFun community. Post your own mask recipe or skincare tips below.

A common household paper glue can be used as a facial mask to remove dry skin. This is a guide about use Elmer's glue as a face mask.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

So I just threw in three ingredients in an attempt to clear an oily nose; some lime juice, toothpaste and some scrub. As soon as I put it on it started to burn!

Put all the ingredients in the bowl (I really don't use measurements, just kind of guess). Do not put the lemon peel in, only put a tiny bit of vegetable oil in, if too much is added it will ruin the consistency.

Chop apple up in blender. Add in honey and sage, and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Pat the mixture onto face until the honey feels tacky. Leave on 30 minutes and rinse. (for normal skin)

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Water poured over a small amount of oatmeal and rubbed on the face is very soothing and good for the skin. It is easy to do, just use a small amount. For more treatment, add water to oatmeal and put the whole glop on your face and leave until it feels a little tight. By racing2elrod

Mixing yogurt and oats to make a facial mask is a natural frugal and effective homemade face mask. This is a guide about oats and yogurt face mask.

This is a guide about making a honey facial mask. Many people recommend using honey to cleanse your face.

Makes enough to cover 2 adult sized faces. Store extra in a container in the fridge.

Finely grind the flowering tops of evening primrose flowers, add to paste made of almond oil and ground almonds. Then apply as a face mask for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water.

I have about everything wrong with my skin, it is acne prone, oily,and dry! I need organic facial mask recipes because I don't use any of the store bought chemical ones. Please help me!

Answers

My sweet, what are u eating? What are u drinking? Do u smoke? Do you touch your face a great deal? Do you take Multivitamins? (such as the 30 Day Bauty Secret - not the common ones you find in any chemist).

By (Guest Post)

Hello!
I use to have problem skin too. Here was my solution:

I take some vinegar (white) and water it down to a mild level. I wash my face with it twice a day (morning and night) with a clean white wash cloth soaked in it (if your skin is too raw or has sores/scabs on it use witch hazel at first and especially 100% pure cotton balls instead of cloth, but in the end vinegar and wash cloths is what has to be used for best results). I am gentle in my scrubbing, and aways am sure to wash my hands before washing my face. I do not rinse the vinegar off but leave it on, and the smell does not stay. I also keep my hair clean and my hands off my face at all times, if I can. If I HAVE to touch my face I make sure my hands are very clean.

My skin is doing very well now!! It took a little time, but now my skin looks and feels clean and balanced. Acne has cleared up and dead skin removed.

More tips:

I have oily skin and I NEVER put face lotion on it or anything else for that matter, including face make up. I basically wear just colored lipgloss most days.
And I know there is a lot of arguing on this point but from my personal experience what you eat DOES matter. Stay away from fatty foods and food chemicals as much as you can. A trusted doctor of mine says these can, at least, contribute to skin problems.

Hope these tips help sweetie! Hang in there and know there is lots of hope!

Hello,

I have some lovely organic face mask recipes. Please check them out at http://www.organicpassion.info or go directly to the Home Remedies for Acne post at http://organicp … medies-for-acne/

Good luck,
Kathlyn

the net is moving to slow for me to do this for you right now - but google: "uses for ordinary things".
then go to the first one that mentions reader's digest. One of the tips for acne was to use asprin on it but I can't remember the exact "how to" for now.

While I don't know any homemade concoctions I do love the pore refining mask from burts bees. In fact I love the whole burts bees personal care line. They use natural ingredients and offer there products at affordable prices. For the dry skin I would use aloe vera gel. Make sure it is alcohol free, dye free, and fragrance free. I like Lily Of The Desert Aloe Vera Gelly. I now use it as my only moisturizer except when sunscrean is needed. Good luck!

I hope you find something on here that will help you! I found this site a longgg time ago and it's my go-to place :)

http://www.geoc … 8088/beauty.html

here is the index

Aromatherapy & Bath Oils, Powders & Salts

Deodorants

Eye Care

Hair Care

Hand, Foot & Nail Care

Make-Up Recipes

Skin Care

Teeth, Gum & Breath Care

Laurie

Thanks for ur help everybody but the face mask that really worked for me was a tomato-oatmeal mask here it is...

BLEMISHED SKIN MASK

1 Tomato, ripe, chopped
1 teaspoon Lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Instant style oatmeal or old-fashioned rolled oats

Blend everything until just combined. Apply to skin, making sure the mixture is thick enough to stay on blemished areas: cheeks, forehead, or chin. If necessary, add a bit more oatmeal to thicken the mask. Leave it on for 10 minutes, then scrub it off with a clean washcloth dipped in warm water.

Try this Face Scrub. It will help you.

Strawberry face scrub:

Take hundred grams of strawberries.
One teaspoon of lemon juice.
Two teaspoons of milk powder.

Mash the strawberries and obtain the pulp.

Mix the pulp with lemon juice and milk powder. The scrub is made and ready to use. Apply it on face and neck.

After fifteen minutes, scrub it away by using fingertips and wash your face with tepid water in which juice of half a lemon is added. Splash cold water on your face.

http://mynatura … ps.blogspot.com/

You'll need:
* Honey (I use Manuka)
* Plain/natural yoghurt
* Lemon juice
* Some strawberries
* Small drop of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1) Splash face with warm water to open pores. Mix the ingredients in a small bowl until it forms a paste
2) Evenly spread the mixture over face and leave on for 15-20 minutes
3) Rinse off with warm water and then splash with cool water to close pores.
4) If you want, use the Olive Oil to moisturize your skin - but it'll be kind of greasy if you have oily skin - so apply a VERY small amount to skin!

I hope this works for you! You can also check out some websites on Google, as they always have some good sites for all sorts of skin types! Just type in 'natural beauty face masks' or something.

I haven't really done much with masks, but I LOVE witch hazel as an exfoliiant. You can but it anywhere, walmart, drugstores, organic food stores, all of them have it, and it's nothing but witch hazel. I put a little on a washcloth, scrub with it, it cleans off your face and makes it feel very clean and good. It even smells pretty good. My skin was terrible when I was younger, this helps a lot, and it's quick enough to do when you get up and before you go to bed! Hope this helps :)

By (Guest Post)

Honey also works very well for your skin. You put hot water on your face to open your pores, then you put the honey on your face Leave it on for 15-30 minutes then rinse with hot water, and use cold water to close your pores.

By Rebecca (Guest Post)

I would like some recipes for mature/aging skin! Please email them to: rstreet1 AT earthlink.net Thank You!

By CheetaPrint (Guest Post)

I have something here that no one here might know. Did you know that sugary foods like of course sugar and brown sugar and honey actually have no nutritional value for your skin? It can actually break you out if you are not careful. Also, very acidic fruits like strawberries and canteloupe aren't good either. Even fatty foods like 2% milk and butter are no good. Here is a list I came up with of ingredients that are actually very good for your skin.

oGrape Juice (fresh from the grape! Not from the store. That has added sugar and fats. No, just squeeze a couple grapes over your face mask mixture.

oBaking Soda (to be used in small amounts like tablespoons

oOats (to be used on all types of skin in any amount)

oEgg Whites (on rare occasions, your skin might tolerate the egg yolk but its so rare it might not even be worth trying)

oFAT FREE milk (like i said, fatty foods....no-no.)

oAloe Vera Lotion (We put it on our sunburns, don't we? Great to be used in a sunburn relieving mask.)

oOrange Juice (I'm not quite sure why this is good for your skin but it is)

oLemon Juice (not sure about this one either)

oNatural Yogurt (don't try other kinds)

oBananas (This helped my--normal--skin)

oCarrots (Sounds silly. Soften in microwave and mash with fork. Add to mask mixture)

oCucumer (again, I don't know of the nutritional value of htis.

Parsley has a very good and soothing effect. There is a whole list of organic parsley masks here: http://www.orga … y/homemade-tips/

I love to make my own homemade face masks, but I know some stuff isn't safe to use daily. What ingredients are safe to use daily and what ingredients are not safe to use daily? Thanks.

By Cera

Answers

Honey, milk, oatmeal, cucumbers, and potatoes.

I like a product called Aztec Clay. You can buy a huge jar of it at health food stores for around $5/lb. A 1-lb jar should last a good long time. All it is is green bentonite clay, I like to mix it with plain yogurt, aloe gel, witch hazel, milk, honey, mashed banana or avocado, or an egg white depending on how my skin is feeling that day and what I have on hand. You can also mix with plain water. It is very detoxifying and makes your skin tingly as it dries. I keep some on hand all year round as it's very useful for insect stings/bites too. Make a paste with water and dab on the bite, let dry or leave on overnight and the bite will be all dried up.

Fresh pineapple is wonderful to refresh skin. Try it and see and feel the difference.

Does anyone know a good recipe for a natural face mask? One that will make skin soft, but not oily.

By Greenie

Answers

Google aspirin mask. It helps when you have oily skin, prone to blemishes. Some other ideas I have read somewhere and tried:
-Plain yoghurt
-Yeast, mixed with water to make a paste
-Honey and cornmeal (the gritty texture means you can have a scrub when you rinse it off)

Anonymous

Take one medium sized banana and mush it up into a paste, leave it on for 10-20 minutes then rinse off. Hope this works!! :)

I have started to experiment with homemade skin products and essential oils, having read an article about the chemicals in skin products. I am building up the oils, etc. and would like to start making natural peels and face masks. Could anyone tell me which is the best cosmetic clay to purchase for mature skin? Once again, many thanks.

Helen x

By helen

Answers

ALL clay absorbs moisture. Don't use ANY clay on you face or it will suck the moisture right out of it!... I'd only use Bentonite clay powder to absorb moisture, like as a deodorant or used as an adult baby-powder.

If you are trying to absorb oils, then most people use Bentonite Clay. It's fairly cheap too!
Some people will add slippery elm powder or white-willow bark powder along with powdered lavender &/or lichen. Lichen helps stop perspiration odor, but I don't know which lichen to use.

Here's a sample:
http://www.more … owder?mv_pc=gbas

*Also, don't use cornstarch or rice-flour on you body or feet. Because these are food products, they can promote fungus & bacteria growth!

Here are recipes for homemade facial masks posted by the

ThriftyFun community.

Answers:

Homemade Facial Mask

Do not try the "cure for pimples" facial, when I was done I had

two times as many pimples as before! It was a nightmare to

remove. My face is burning, the only good thing is that it

leaves your face feeling like a baby's bottom! (11/08/2007)

By Hannah

Soft healthier looking skin ten minutes

I read one of the things on here and thought it wouldn't work so

I adapted it to what I liked. It makes skin radiant, healthier,

and smooth! You'll love the smell too!

You're going to need

• 3 tea bags
  • 1 egg white
  • 3 tsp of baking powder
  • 4 tsp of maple syrup
  • 2 tsp of butter
  • dash of milk

Lightly whisk the egg white to a froth then split the tea

bags and add the leaves to the egg, mix together, add the maple

syrup and baking powder whisk again then add the butter and

milk. Whisk once more then put in fridge to set and rise.

Take out of the fridge mix again (it will fall). Taking a

small amount rub all over your face and leave for ten minutes,

try not to move your face. After take a damp flannel and wipe

of, splash face with some warm water then cold. Pat dry then

leave for 10 minutes and wipe face again. This will leave your

face soft and silky. Yes I have tried it! It works wonders on my

dry cracked face. Once you have rinsed the residue the first

time, your face will be red and blotchy when you have finished

your face will be smooth and healthy looking! (12/04/2007)

By Katheryn from UK

Homemade Facial Mask+blemishes

Try this for your blemishes:
Make sure your face is clean. Get these round Bandaids and

dab the cotton part with olive oil and lemon juice mixed and

place them exactly on you blemish. Use it overnite for a week or

until it fades away. You will notice your blemish fade away from

day 1
Good luck. (12/14/2007)

By Alia

Baking Soda Mask

Baking Soda has natural bacteria fighting properties which make

it ideal as a facial cleanser. I mix about 5-6 Tbsp of baking

soda with half tsp honey and a tsp or 2 of milk or water, enough

to make a pate. The honey acts as a adhesive and it also has

soothing properties. I add about 4-5 capsules of Vitamin E or

it's healing properties. Test a small patch of your skin to make

sure it doesn't burn before you do a full application. You can

keep this in the fridge for two weeks.

You can make a double batch and do you face every two weeks.

This works best if your face is clean, so using a facial bar,

gently wash and dry your face. Apply the mask and rinse after

15-20 minutes. You may follow with a toner. I make one by mixing

4oz of rose or lavender water, 1 tsp crushed lemon grass and 1/2

tsp ground ginger root. Shake and let sit 1/2-2 hours. Depending

on the strength you need, if you have sensitive skin steep less

time. Oily skin a little longer, strain. Test a patch of your

skin before you do a full application.

You can keep this in the bottle the water comes in. Keep it

in the fridge for up to 8 weeks. The cool toner feels good on a

freshly scrubbed face. This may not be a good toner for dry

skin. Follow with a non comedigenic moisturizer. The only two I

know of both work wonderfully: Clinique's Dramatically Different

Moisturizer, you'll know it because it's yellow, and Mary Kay's

Oil Free Hydrating Gel, it's lavender. I prefer the Mary Kay, it

gives me a glow. I hope you enjoy these recipes. They work well

for me. (12/29/2007)

By Ms. Motley

how to remove dead skin off your face

Rub some sugar on you're face until you have no more dead skin

and then put you're favorite mask on you will feel fresh.

(01/28/2008)

By Camila

Homemade Facial Mask

My acne isn't too bad, but obviously I'd rather have none. What

I do is take a tea bag (something like chamomile or 'Sleepy

Time') soak it in hot water, squeeze out the excess water and

just lightly pat it around your face. It smells good, feels

great, and I think it makes your skin look really healthy! Hope

it helps you! (03/09/2008)

By Nikki

Homemade Facial Mask

What I have found that works well for acne that anyone can make

is to use this basil acne tonic. it is so easy to use!
all you need is:

• water
  • basil leaves

Boil the water and add the basil leaves. Then let the water

sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Rinse your face with

this; it works.
(03/15/2008)

By Jeannie <33</p>

Sweet Facial

This is so easy and does not take that long.

• 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1-2 cups milk

Stir in bowl (batter should be thin). Apply to face and rub in

for one minute. Let stand 15min. Then wash off.

(04/06/2008)

By Brianna

Smooth acne free skin

You only have to use:

• 1 cup of flour
  • 1/4 of a cup of toothpaste
  • 1/4 of a cup of baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 of a cup of sugar
  • 1/2 of a cup of soda of your choice (optional)
  • 1/3 of a cup of water
  • 1 teaspoon of olive oil (optional)

Mix until a creamy substance, if not creamy enough add a

little more flour, keep on for at least 15 minutes or more, it

really works. It might not be appealing, but it's wonderful in

the end! (04/11/2008)

By Kori

Homemade Facial Mask

Sun spots and redness can really mess up your love life. So

knock um dead with this spicy concoction. The mango infuses in

your pores and you achieve a sun kissed glow that will make any

guy salsa dance. OLE! Get your mango on.

• 1 cup fresh mashed mango
  • 1 tsp Tabasco (mucho picante)
  • 1 tbs lemon juice
  • tsp finely chopped parsley
  • mint infused cotton balls(optional)
  • 2 cups milk

Blend till it is thick. Spread over face with hands (don't be

afraid to get dirty ladies). Keep on for 12 minutes. Remove

with mint infused cotton balls (this has no affect on your

skin, but smells really good). Rinse with hot milk, followed by

cold milk to close pores.

There you have it for all you wannabe sun kissed beauties.

Enjoy chicas!
(05/22/2008)

By stephypooh

Homemade Facial Mask

I tried this. It moisturizes as well as makes you glow.

• 2 tsp natural yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp natural cocoa

Mix together and apply to face and neck. Wait 30 minutes until

dry. Rinse off. Skin glows and feels so soft. (05/26/2008)

By Abby

toothpaste

A lot of masks involve toothpaste! Yea it works as long as you

rinse your face afterwards with cold water! If you leave it on

you end up with blisters and your skin burning when you wake up.
(06/09/2008)

By XxgunsxgoxbangxX

Homemade Facial Mask

I tried Acne mask by pua. I'm making this comment to help people

make good choices about what face mask works best. My friends

and I made 2 different face masks at different times and we

tried this one out and it burned ALL of us not just me. I have

sensitive skin, not like my friends this burned us for future

reference don't use face masks that involve baking soda and

soda. (08/09/2008)

By burned

Homemade Facial Mask

I have just created a great face mask that works on spots:

• 3 tablespoons bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
  • 1 cap full vanilla essence
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey

Stir until it is smooth and creamy. Apply to your face,

what's leftover can be refrigerated and used the next day!

(10/23/2008)

By sj

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.