Buying and Using Yeast for Baking

Active dry baking yeast comes in a variety of sizes. You want to be sure the amount you buy, retains its freshness and remains active. This guide is about buying and using yeast for baking.

April 26, 2010 Flag

How many ounces of yeast do I need for 5 lb of flour?

By Mark from Hamltion, NJ

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are making a recipe that calls for 5 lbs. of flour doesn't the recipe tell how much yeast to use too? Otherwise do some googling and see if you can find something.

Many recipes will call for about 1 pkg of yeast for each 6-7 cups of flour. Five pounds of flour is 17 1/2 cups; so it's roughly 3 times. A package of yeast is 2 1/4 teaspoons. Remember that there are many other factors determining the amount of yeast in a recipe.

Mark, if you do a lot of baking go to:baking911.com It's an excellent source of answers for all baking questions.

Depends on how long you want to let it rise. Look at YouTube and you'll learn all you need to know. If you want to let it rise all night you can use 1/4 teaspoon for a loaf, if you want two hours, use a package.

I tried the all night rise this week and it tasted great!

I recommend Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. If you go to their website you'll find some info about the low yeast method.

February 22, 2005 Flag

For many years I have been making my own bread, mainly because I like to know that I am eating healthy bread with no preservatives, etc. I used to purchase the yeast in a glass jar that had to be refrigerated once it was opened. It recently increased to $7.29 for a 4 oz. jar. Outrageous.

I decided to go to the health store where I purchase loose herbs & spices. The yeast is sold in 8 ounce containers (refrigerated) for $2.99. Very decently priced. Also purchase your herbs & spices loose in the health store as you are not paying for the containers as you do in the supermarkets plus they are fresh, fresh, fresh. Happy day to you.

By joesgirl

even BETTER is to contact your local bakery supply. I go to FEDERAL BAKE MARK in Buffalo, New York and buy yeast by the KILO. Yes, ladies, 2.2 POUNDS of YEAST. The last time I got it , it was under EIGHT dollars for 2.2 POUNDS.

I bought 10. They last forever....shared some with friends, etc....

Sam's Club has 2 one pound packs for around $8.00, it has been a while since I got it. Store it in the freezer. In my area we have a store that sells bulk items in small amounts and I can get red star yeast for cheap. Good luck. I'm on my 6th bread machine.

Best,

CHML

I also was astonished at the price of a 4 oz. jar of yeast. I live in a very rural area, but my little hometown grocery store (and others) carrys a two pound sack of yeast for just a few more cents than the 4 oz. jar. It is made by Fleischman and is a foil lined sack so I just pour some into the 4 oz jar to store in the cupboard for everyday use. The rest of the sack is stored in the freezer waiting to refill the jar. I have been doing this daily for several years and have always had good success. If your local store doesn't carry this, just ask the manager if he can order it in.

Gem

February 23, 2015 Flag

Can I make fresh yeast at home?

By Sharan

Look up sourdough starter on line. It's kind of like harvesting yeast from the air. Make some, and when you want to bake, you need recipes using the starter. You take part of the starter for your recipe, and replenish what's left with more of the ingredients you used to make it. You can make bread, pancakes, muffins, etc. Take a little care with your starter, and it will develop it's own flavor, and will last for years. The bread is a little sour, but delicious.

June 18, 2011 Flag

My new bread machine cook book calls for either instant yeast or bread yeast. Can anyone tell me where to find it?

By Kathy C

You can buy the yeast at the grocery store in packets or I have bought it by the pound at the local health food store. Make sure that it's bread yeast when you buy it. You can keep it in a glass jar on the door of your fridge for a year or more.just make sure the glass jar is dry inside when you put the yeast in it. It's much cheaper by the pound and you can always share it. Look on the back of the packet of yeast to see how much it contains and then use the same amount of the by-the-pound yeast.

I buy my yeast by the pound also. I pour it into a plastic container & freeze it. Take out what you need to make your bread & put the remainder back in the freezer.

You can buy bread yeast at any grocery store. Red star or fleishman's iare good good. If you want to buy a large quantity go to costco or even Walmart. Keep it in a jar in the refrigerator but be sure you take out the correct amount and let it come back to room temperature before using it.

Also, a hint for your bread machine, use dough only cycle and then punch it down on a lightly floured board and shape it into rolls or bread. Let rise until doubled and bake in oven. That way you have nicely shaped loaves.

I think almost anywhere. I bought mine at BJ's.

June 8, 2012 Flag

What is dry yeast and where can I buy it?

By Noemi

Go to google.com and type in dry yeast.

Go to google.com and type in dry yeast.

It is a dried form of cake yeast and can be found in the baking section of most grocery stores with flour and baking powder.

November 13, 2009 Flag

Does it matter if you use rapid rise yeast or regular active yeast in your bread maker? The manual doesn't specify. One recipe site recommended to add water to your active yeast before adding to your machine.

I'm trying to become a "professional" before the holidays. I'm trying to make some thrifty gifts so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Crystal from VA

I have been making homemade bread for years. I know that regular yeast works very well in these recipes. If the recipe does not specify rapid rise yeast, don't use it. It will give the bread a fluffier texture. There are recipes for bread machine use. Try them out before you start making changes.

Do not try to use the rapid rise unless your machine has a setting for this type of yeast. If you use it on a regular bread setting the bread will rise too high and then start to fall in the center before it starts to bake. Keep the yeast away from the liquids in the pan and make sure to bring all your ingredients to room temperature prior to starting your machine unless it has a warming cycle. From a financial standpoint, as you are trying to be thrifty, Sam's club sells a 2 pack of 1 pound bricks of yeast for not much more than a 4 ounce jar at the grocery store. In my area $4.24 compared to $3.99. I prefer to spend the extra 24 cents and give a pound away. Best price on bread flour in my area too. Good luck with the bread.

I use the instant yeast in my bread machine & I add ingredients per my bread machine directions. Not all bread machines have you add various ingredients in same order so read your manual. When I use the instant yeast, I use 1-1/2 TBSP instant yeast or 1 pkt of reg. yeast. When you use instant yeast (which you can find at Sam's Club stores or maybe even your grocery store)

You don't have to worry about the water temp being at a certain degree. I let machine do all the work, using the dough only setting then form loaf, put in loaf pan, let rise & bake in regular oven. I think it comes out better tasting plus it is not all square of odd shape or dried out but more like a regular size loaf. I have a Sunbeam bread machine.

Yes, it matters. Use regular yeast NOT rapid rise.

Yeast rises better if you add a pinch of sugar to it, and a very small pinch of ginger. You won't get any flavor just helps yeast rise a bit better. My bread machine does not call for adding water to the yeast before putting it in the machine.

Nancy

March 28, 2005 Flag

Hi, Does anyone know how much yeast is in a packet? I have bulk yeast but forget how many teaspoons or tablespoons are in a packet. So many recipes call for packets. Thanks, Susan

April 29, 2004 Flag

I can buy outdated yeast for real cheap, but will it be as good? Can I use 2 packets in place of one?

Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 16, 2014
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Yeast
Storing Yeast
Dog's Yeast Infection
Treating a Dog's Yeast Infection
No-Knead Yeast Bread
No-Knead Yeast Bread Recipes
🎄