CD Jewel Case Décor

By Rela Ann

Ok, AOL - make my day. Send me as much CDs as you like. I can now use those Jewel Cases you send. (I know other uses for those CDs too - but that is another article). And if AOL is not the culprit but that other person who lives in your house who wants to put all the CDs in an album-like container, leaving those CD Jewel Cases behind - craving to be placed into the trash can...cry no more! Here is a great way to transform them into lovely decorations or frames.

• 3-4 CD Jewel Cases (Use the 1cm thick variety. Do not use the thin 1/4" thick variety.)
  • Various papers, cards, giftwraps relevant to the theme you would like to do.
  • Your favorite photos, again relevant to the theme you would like to do.
  • PC/Printer or Nice Pen if you want to do calligraphy
  • Scissors
  • Magic tape

A. Preparing the CD Jewel Case

1. Open the Jewel Case and remove the top cover. The best way to do this is to gently lift the top cover male connection until it separates from the bottom female opening. Be careful as prying them too wide cracks the top cover.
Remove the CD title paper on the top cover.

2. Remove the middle plastic attached to the lower cover; ie the plastic part which has the circular shape to hold the CD. Depending on the type of Jewel Case, it can be removed with varying degrees of difficulty. For the difficult ones, the best way to remove the middle part is to flex the back cover so that the back cover and the middle plastic separate where you can place your finger between them. Pry open where there is only 1 connection first (each side has 3 connection - 1 in 1 edge while 2 in the opposite edge). When that has separated, pry open the other 2 connections on the same side or the other 1 connection on the other side, whichever pries more easily first.

Remove the CD title paper on the back cover.

3. Replace the top cover to the back cover. This time, however, place the top cover on the opposite direction such that it won't close. You now have a slanted surface with the CD title clips facing back.

B. Preparing the Décor

4. Depending on the theme you would like to do, cut and shape your papers, cards, giftwraps, photos etc. Take note of the Jewel Case's internal dimensions so that you can lay-out accurately. Typical dimension available for décor is 4 3/4" wide and 5" high.

a. For Valentines', I uses 4 Jewel Cases to place the 4 letters of the word "love". You can do calligraphy or use the PC/Printer's Edwardian Script. I used scrapbooking paper I bought from the Dollar Tree. Miss Elizabeth's Sugar and Spice is $1 for 5 pages and it is already acid-free and lignin-free.

b. For Spring, I used 3 Jewel Cases and formatted photos we took from the Skagit Valley's Tulip Festival.

c. You can use these as photo frames. As an example, these are our Christmas photos. I edged it with some Christmas symbols I got from the same old Christmas card box I used on the Sample Credit Card "Piggy Bank".

d. A variation of "a" above is to use your kid's name for décor in their rooms.

C. Putting together the Jewel Décor

5. Insert the decors/photos you have prepared in B into the top cover such that the CD title clips are securing them. Adjust accordingly.

6. Use a cardboard for backing the papers or photos so that they look firm from the front.
Arrange them in your display area and you've got personalized décor you can change over and over again as the mood changes or as the season changes. No need to repaint the house every season!

CD Jewel Case Décor

That would be PERFECT for photos to give to young children-thinking of a 4 year old's birthday I was at today. (08/16/2005)

By Kelly

CD Jewel Case Decor

WOW, GREAT IDEA! I have so many of the cases and what a great project for a rainy day. I can't wait to get into my craft things. I save pictures of flowers and the ocean this is a great way to display for my pleasure. Thank You. I had a bummer day and this tip just cheered me up. :)
bye (08/16/2005)

By meoowmom

CD Jewel Case Decor

I love it! Thanks! (08/18/2005)

By melody_yesterday

CD Jewel Case Decor

WOW, GREAT IDEA! Thank you (08/18/2005)

By manick

CD Jewel Case Decor

Great idea! Also, don't forget that you can use the paper that comes in the CD already as your guide to measure your new picture, no need for the extra work of having to bring out a ruler! Who wants that! We have kids to tend to!
Thanks for the idea!

By Kate in North Carolina

CD Jewel Case Decor

Awesome tip. I love this site, truly. (06/14/2007)

By Euky700

CD Jewel Case Décor

What a great idea! My husband is going into the hospital for surgery for pancreatic cancer. He will be in for possibly 2 weeks if things go well. I want him to have pictures around him when I can't be there since we live an hour from the hospital and will have to work as much as possible. Not having a penny to spare at this moment and having CD cases everywhere, this will be perfect. I also just sent my so off to college. An ideal Christmas gift that won't cost much. Thanks! (08/29/2007)

By hairyjoe

CD Jewel Case Decor

Dear Rela Ann, I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it with us. I have so many of these and now finally, something to make out of them. Many thanks, Lisa (08/30/2007)

By Lisingreece

CD Jewel Case Decor

I think I am going to use your idea but decoupage instead of adding pictures or cards. Then, if I put it in a sunny room, the light will shine through and catch the sun, similar to a stained glass piece.
Thanks for sharing, Lisa (08/30/2007)

By Lisingreece

Three large stacks of CD Jewel Cases.
Uses for CD Jewel Cases
Sewing Machine
Bobbin Case Keeps Falling Out of a Sewing Machine
Easy harmonica case and instrument.
Making a Harmonica Case
Making a Recycled Vinyl Record Tablet Holder
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case