Identity TheftBudget & Finance

"Can You Hear Me?" Phone Scam

There is a new phone scam. The caller identifies himself as a business and then asks if you can hear clearly. If you say, "Yes", your voice is recorded. Purchases are then made. When you say you didn't order the product or service, your recorded "Yes" answer is the "proof" that you did. There are other questions that may be asked such as, "Are you the head of the household?" The thing the questions have in common is that they all can be answered with "yes."

The best thing to do is to hang up when you receive a call like this. These calls may also ask you to press a button if you want to be put on the Do Not Call Registry. If you do press a button, scammers will identify your phone as an active phone number. Again, the thing to do is to hang up. If you have their phone number, write it down and notify the Better Business Bureau.

Source: Clark Howard

Editor's Note: This scam is still considered unverified but it is good information to consider. Voice mail or an answering machine works well to stop most scams or telemarketers if dealing with an unknown number.

Here is a link for more information on this phone scam.

http://www.snopes.com/can-you-hear-me-scam/

I don't doubt this scam exists. People who are too sorry to work at a regular job will sink to any level and do most anything to rip you off.

I avoid all these scams. I never answer my phone. If a message is left and it's from someone I choose to speak with; I then return the call.

Thanks, Judy

I get calls now that you say "hello" no one responds, then you say "hello" again and the lady goes oh sorry I didn't hear you! Can you hear me? And then they offer something - I hang up. Now, I just block callers I do not know