Making a Phone Holder for a Cordless Phone

Category Miscellaneous
A simple holder can be fashioned to keep your phone conveniently on your person. This is a guide about making a phone holder for cordless phone.

Here's a quick craft pattern that actually solved a pesky problem at our house after constantly misplacing our household cordless phone. When there is an ill or disabled family member, many people turn to one of the greatest features of most newer models of multi-handset telephones, the intercom.

My husband recently had knee replacement surgery and needed me to assist him, but I'd forget my handset someplace and his voice wasn't strong enough to reach me. I made a phone sock since most garments don't have a pocket loose enough to hold a phone without accidentally pushing the buttons. It's very easy to make and most of it can be made from recycled items.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut two fabric rectangles measuring approximately 15 x 3 inches with the corners rounded off.
  2. Fold each in half, then lay them on top of each other. Zig-zag stitch around the 3 cut sides, leaving the folded edges open so that it now forms a long skinny pocket. Turn it right side out.
  3. Ad

4. Fold each end of the elastic around a suspender clip bar and stitch back and forth across it a two or three times to secure.
  5. Lay the strip of elastic along one side of the pocket top and zig-zag stitch them together along the edge. (It helps to fold the other pocket edge down out of your way and pin it back while you're sewing.)
  6. Ad

7. You're done! To wear it, clip each suspender clip to a belt loop on your jeans. It stretches just enough to hold it in place.
    If you're going to be doing something loud, like mowing outdoors, pin the two clips to the points of your workshirt collar so that the phone hangs down like a pendant. My phone isn't particularly loud, but I can hear it above the push-mower this way.

This pocket completely covers the phone because I wanted to keep it dust-free outdoors and prevent splashes from the kitchen indoors. To get the phone out of it quickly, you squeeze the fabric at the bottom and the phone practically squirts up out of it. The two layers of fabric help keep the buttons from accidentally being pushed.

Make two of these, one for your handset to travel with you around the house and yard, and one for the invalid to clip to the fitted bed sheet or pillowcase. When my husband gets up and sets out leaning on the walker, he clips it inside his shirt pocket and this has kept the phone from falling as he leans over the walker.

This is also handy anytime you're expecting a call and don't want to keep up with the handset. You can now walk the dog, get the mail, work in the yard, do the laundry, and still be in constant touch.

By Mary LaCaze from Mountain Pine, AR

Absolutely brilliant!

I've made pockets like this before, but didn't think about the clips! Excellent idea! Thanks!