Removing Candle Wax from a Dog

Category Grooming
If candle wax has accidentally gotten spilled on your dog's fur, it will take some patience from you and your dog to get it out. This is a guide about candle wax on dog.

My POOR GOLDEN LAB knocked a candle warmer off onto his coat, and now is covered in candle wax! I tried to explain to him it was not his fault, but now he looks kind of weird, AND feels embarrassed. :( any suggestions? I don't think ironing him will work, and I don't want to cut his fur yet. Darn. Hate it when that happens.

Buddy and Diana
SW Idaho

Best Answer

Use peanut butter or Pam spray. They both get gum out of hair on kids.

Best Answer

Soften the wax with a blow dryer, then comb it out. Do just a small area at a time as it will cool quickly. You may need a little help if the dog is afraid of the blow drier!

Best Answer

We used olive oil in a spritzer and used a very fine-toothed comb. It worked great! Then we just took a wash cloth with very warm water to get the olive oil residue off. Hope this helps!

The vet i used recommended using peanut butter...and it worked!

My 5 month old yellow lab knocked over a candle warmer and has blue wax all over one side of her. I will try the blow dryer method. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the blue out of her fur?

Ellen

~*~ THE PEANUT BUTTER TRICK WORKED GREAT ON MY DOG ~*~

My husband knocked over my large candle warmer that had a large candle in it, The wax went every where some even got on my min pin. dog.

I took some peanut butter and smeared it over the candle wax on my dog, rubbed it in, then I took a fine tooth comb and kept combing it over the waxy parts and the candle wax started coming off in chunks. Then WE gave him a bath and now you can't tell a spot of wax was on him.

THANK YOU,

MICHELLE

My dog had wax in his very long fur as a result of laying down on a candle. The area was a circle of roughly 10" in diameter. I ended up drenching the area with vegetable oil first. Then, I picked apart the large, solid wax chunks with my thumb nail, all while keeping the area moist with oil. After about ten minutes (and a lot of complaining from the dog while i picked apart the matted fur), i was left with an oily patch of dog. Next, i just washed the dog to get the oil off and voila'. good as new

We used peanut butter on our dog who just jumped into a citronella candle! Peanut butter works! Thanks

My cat got covered with candle wax. I don't know how to get it off of his fur, and some parts are right down to the skin. Does anyone have any suggestions? hollie1979 AT comcast.net

My Vet said to soak my 3 month old dog in a GREEN TEA bath filled with luke warm water it will help the skin heal and prevent blistering and scarring. It will also help soften the wax. Hope that helps