My POOR GOLDEN LAB knocked a candle warmer off onto his coat, and now is covered in candle wax! I tried to explain to him it was not his fault, but now he looks kind of weird, AND feels embarrassed. :( any suggestions? I don't think ironing him will work, and I don't want to cut his fur yet. Darn. Hate it when that happens.
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Use peanut butter or Pam spray. They both get gum out of hair on kids.
Soften the wax with a blow dryer, then comb it out. Do just a small area at a time as it will cool quickly. You may need a little help if the dog is afraid of the blow drier!
We used olive oil in a spritzer and used a very fine-toothed comb. It worked great! Then we just took a wash cloth with very warm water to get the olive oil residue off. Hope this helps!
The best thing to do is take an ice cube and put it on the wax, that way you can break it off of the fur. I'm not sure how much area is involved but wax will break easily if it isn't too thick. Definitely don't use the iron on him. It may take a while but you should be able to break it off the fur. Poor guy.
That's my recommendation anyway. Someone else may have another idea.
Susan from ThriftyFun
use butter...or anything lubey...ice can work too
Oh poor pooch...Mine did the same thing one time....My vet suggested that I use ice cubes,freezes the wax and it will break off....Also try a warm warm bath.....keep pouring the warm water,as warm as he can stand it,over his back..KEEp a strainer over the drain..you can buy them at wal mart...
my black labrador jet managed to get white gloss paint on her coat and i got the most of it out in one go by massaging glycerine into her coat, which acts as a softening agent, and then shampooing several hours later with water as warm as she would stand.
Any ideas on how to remove soft citronella candle wax from my dogs foot? I have a Japanese Chin who jumped feet first into a citronella candle my stupid neighbor left burning on the ground in the yard.
Grrr...Ive cut off his front leg feathers and bathed him in as warm of water as we could stand -- twice but his feet still feel a little greasy.
Any ideas are appreciated. Please email to: TLPK007 @ aol.com (removes spaces) Thank you.
Done the same on my kitten, any suggestions if its on her paw but quite thick?
With the kitten the best thing might be to try to put an ice cube on it and as it gets harder, see if you can break it up and pop it off. In any case, the kitten will probably work it off in a day or two but you really don't want her to eat it. You could also use some kind of plastic utensil and see if you can work on scraping it off.
Best of luck with this.
my 1 month old puppie knocked over a wax warmer, and part side of his fir ais covered with wax, and my moms giving him a bath, but its not working very well.. any suggestions on how to get it out? any remedies?
I wasn't wacthing my hamster, and he knocked over a candle with wax. He got hard wax all over himself and his eye. I think he is going to go blind. WHAT SHOULD I DO. I'M REALLY SCARED!
My fluffy yellow cat knocked over a red christmas candle (in a jar) and ran through the wax and now he has red candle wax all on his belly and two of his paws. He is very fluffy and i dont know what to do.
The vet says i need to shave the area with wax.
my kitten just jumped in the container of my eyebrow wax .. it's on his whiskers in dabs & on his paw .. ugh i'm gonna try the ice cube thing
Please Help! My baby kitty just jumped into my green candle and now he has dried wax all over his face. I don't know if got into is eye or not. It looks like it may have. I can't really put an ice cube on his eye, but I need to get the wax out of the fur around his eye. Any help? Please email shayla_rogers AT hotmail.com. Thanks.
I've read this page and I don't see anything to help with my problem. One of my cats just jumped into a citronella candle and the wax is all over him. His back leg is COATED with it. Is this wax toxic? I'm searching for info on this right now, that's how I found this webpage. There's no way it can be brushed out, or the hair even shaved off in the paw area. I'm really concerned if he eats it it could kill him.
I just called a 24 hour emergency vet place (Sunday, no one else to call) and of course they didn't know if it was toxic! I tried the Poison Control Center and again, very little info on Citronella Oil and nothing on the wax. The oil appears to be not too bad, as in, not causing any death. It's not listed as a harmful toxic substance to *HUMANS*, the big question is how that relates to cats. The candle wax would be even less of a threat since it is mostly wax.
If anyone should happen to have any info on this PLEASE email me. alternate10(at)gmail.com .
Editor's Note: Cats don't like citrus which is what citronella is but I don't think it is poisonous. It's hard to say whether the cats dislike of citrus or their penchant for keeping clean will win out. Probably your best bet is to wrap a heating pad (or a warmed up rice bag) in a rag and try to put the paw on it so that it can loosen and melt the wax. The rag will absorb the wax. A hair dryer would probably work too but cats con't like the noise so that might be hard. Good luck with this and let us know how it turns out.
my ferret just knocked over a tart burner and his back side is covered in wax. what could i do to remove this wax from his fur without shaving him?
We have two 5 week old springer spaniel puppies one of them was near some cords and we went to get him away and the hot tart burner got tugged by its cord and fell on both puppies, one's coat was covered almost compltley on one side and the other puppy had only a small area which came off easily. I googled it and was pleasntaly surprised at how many others have the same problem. The heating pad wasnt warming the wax enough so i blow dried the pup without getting it too hot as where it would burn and as the wax heated it easily combed out. Now it has the greasy remnince from the candle wax on its coat what do you suggest will take it off?
i have a kitten and he got into a candle that was on a candle melter and has candle wax all over his chest how do i get it off without hurting him
The vet i used recommended using peanut butter...and it worked!
My 5 month old yellow lab knocked over a candle warmer and has blue wax all over one side of her. I will try the blow dryer method. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the blue out of her fur?
~*~ THE PEANUT BUTTER TRICK WORKED GREAT ON MY DOG ~*~
My husband knocked over my large candle warmer that had a large candle in it, The wax went every where some even got on my min pin. dog.
I took some peanut butter and smeared it over the candle wax on my dog, rubbed it in, then I took a fine tooth comb and kept combing it over the waxy parts and the candle wax started coming off in chunks. Then WE gave him a bath and now you can't tell a spot of wax was on him.
My dog had wax in his very long fur as a result of laying down on a candle. The area was a circle of roughly 10" in diameter. I ended up drenching the area with vegetable oil first. Then, I picked apart the large, solid wax chunks with my thumb nail, all while keeping the area moist with oil. After about ten minutes (and a lot of complaining from the dog while i picked apart the matted fur), i was left with an oily patch of dog. Next, i just washed the dog to get the oil off and voila'. good as new
We used peanut butter on our dog who just jumped into a citronella candle! Peanut butter works! Thanks
My cat got covered with candle wax. I don't know how to get it off of his fur, and some parts are right down to the skin. Does anyone have any suggestions? hollie1979 AT comcast.net
Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!