Cleaning Candle Wax from Hardwood Floors

Here are some tested solutions for removing candle wax from hardwood floors. The key to removing candle wax from most surfaces is heating it up with an hair dryer or clothes iron. Beyond that there are some solvents, like Goo Gone, that have been effective.

Use a Scraper and Hair Dryer

• Use a plastic scraper to scrape up as much of the candle wax as possible.
  • Heat up the remaining wax stain with a hair dryer, then wipe it up with a clean paper towel. Repeat this process until the wax is removed.

Clothes Iron and a Brown Paper Bag

• Put a paper bag over the stain and then place a clothes iron on a medium setting on top of the bag.
  • Remove the iron quickly and look at the paper bag. You should see wax transferred to the paper bag.
  • Place a clear portion of the bag on the stain and repeat the process until all the wax is removed.

Goo Gone

• Then use Goo Gone on a paper towel to remove the remaining wax.
While the above solutions seem to be the most promising, you can find more ideas below. Feel free to let us know what solution works best for you.

Candle wax was spilled on my wooden floor. It is dry now. How do I remove the wax?

By gayle from New Iberia, LA

Answers

Best Answer

Renters caused problems for us: How can I take spilled melted wax off hardwood-floors, it also splashed up on the walls and metal closet doors.

Thank you for your help

Mary in Pueblo, CO

Best Answer

all i did just put a paper towel on the floor and go over with a hot iron and put stem and the wax came right up. Did not damage the hardwood floor.

Best Answer

I have read the responses and I discovered something that will help remove candle wax from a prefinished hardwood floor. First use a plastic putty knife to remove the major build-up and dispose of the scraps. Next use the previous mentioned Goof Off on a soft cotton rag to remove the rest. And it gets better - lastly use the edge of the plastic putty knife to remove that last bit in the cracks between the boards. Waa laa!

Best Answer

Husband just spilled candle wax all over the hardwood floor. Used a rubber spatula to scrape it after it dried. I then used the Goo bgone as suggested. The floor is like new! Thanks!

Answer this Question

5 More Questions

Candle wax spilled on my hardwood floors and walls. Please help me and tell me what can I use to clean this hard mess up.

By Gina

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Gina,
You can remove wax from your wood floors a couple different ways:
1. Apply ice to the wax to harden it, then gently scrape with a putty knife with a clean edge. (If it were me I would try this method on the walls too.)
2. Lay paper towels over the wax, iron the paper towels, and they should absorb most or all of the wax.
Good luck!

Best Answer

Having worked at a dry-cleaner for many years, I've learned that perchloroethyline dissolves not only candle wax, but also gum. The main product that contains this that I can think of is Carbona Spot Remover.

Answer this Question

After removing the wax from the floor, there is a red stain left behind. I have tried numerous products that were recommended on this site, but none of them work.

By Rich L.

Answers

Best Answer

When candle wax is spilled on anything take a brown paper bag a hot iron and hold it on there fore a second or so and the candle will transfer onto the paper bag. Keep going changing bags if you have to but it works. Good Luck

Anonymous
Best Answer

even easier is to use gojo or fast orange hand cleaner. Rub it into your towel first before scrubbing. The de-limonene in the product loosens the paraffin, that's why it's so good a degreasing hand.

Helpful hint that these products also take oil stains and such off of couches, fabric, etc.

Anonymous
Best Answer

My kids like to draw and drew in red marker on a dresser. I used nail polish remover to get the red marker drawing off the dresser. I just applied nail remover onto a cotton ball and rubbed it on the marker drawing which took off all the drawing they drew on the dresser. It worked fast and did not harm the wood to my surprise. Some one told me about the nail polish remover being able to remove stains on walls markings scuffs and crayon. I tried it and it worked so well you can't see any left over marker. Before applying to your wood floor test a spot to make sure you won't harm the floor but like I had said it worked in the wood dresser and didn't leave any red marker it cleaned the wood making it look like it did before the two artist drew there pictures on the furniture.

Answer this Question

How do I remove candle wax from hardwood floors?

How do you remove candle wax from hardwood floors?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsDecember 19, 2016
🎃
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf886411.tip.html