Removing Candle Wax from Carpet

Category Carpet
Removing wax from carpet can be extremely difficult if you don't use the right method. With these tips, you will be able to remove the wax quickly and easily. This is a guide about removing candle wax from carpet.

Place a thick (grocery store type) dry paper bag on the carpet (make sure no inked logos etc. are on it because that ink can possibly transfer to the carpet - just cut those portions off of the bag) and use a clothes iron. The paper will soak up the candle wax but be careful to not have the heat of the iron so hot that it might melt the carpet if the carpet is of synthetic fibers (almost all are synthetic these days). Just keep ironing back and forth on the paper portion only while rearranging the bag to soak up more wax if needed.

I was a landlord for many years and always did this instead of trying to make tenants who moved out pay to replace the carpet. There was only one time that their candle wax buildup was so bad that there was no way to salvage the carpet.

This is a guide about removing red candle wax stain from carpet. In addition to removing the wax itself, melted red wax can also leave a pigment stain on your carpet that you will need to remove.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I had the same thing happen. Take a brown paper grocery bag; cut it open so it's 1 sheet. Place over the wax. Using an iron on a low setting iron the bag over the wax area. Keep moving the bag until all the wax is gone. Then just throw the bag away!

How can you get wax out of the carpet?

By wjolsen

Answers

Best Answer

You will need coffee filters and an iron.

Scrape up as much wax as you can. Lay a coffee filter over what remains. With an iron on low heat, iron over the wax. As soon as the filter starts to absorb wax turn it so clean filter is over the wax and iron again. Continue until the wax no longer marks the filter. Before putting your iron away, iron a fresh filter to clean off any waxy residue which may have got through to the iron.

Best Answer

Brown paper bags work in the same way the coffee filters do. However, coffee filters might be more available.

How does one get old wax off a carpet?

By Emily

Answers

Best Answer

I would try a warm iron and paper towels. Lay down the paper towel, then press the iron on it, continue to blot until you get it up. Don't start out with the iron too hot. It could damage the carpet. But the warm iron should melt the wax and transfer it to the towel.

Best Answer

You can hold an ice cube to it, and after a couple minutes, it should come up. Either one would work.

How do you get candle wax out of carpet?

By Ruth from Cape, MO

Answers

Best Answer

Wet a paper towel place it over wax on carpet take a hot iron (no steam) and iron. The heat from iron will melt wax and transfer it to paper towel. (Hints from Heloise) it works.

Anonymous
Best Answer

How do you get candle wax out of your carpet?

By Leigh from Flower Mound, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Take and old piece of towel or wash cloth and iron over it, keep changing the cloth and keep ironing until it is all gone. this worked for me.

Best Answer

I had the same thing happen. Take a brown paper grocery bag; cut it open so it's 1 sheet. Place over the wax. Using an iron on a low setting iron the bag over the wax area. Keep moving the bag until all the wax is gone...then just throw the bag away!

How do you get candle wax out of carpet and clothing?

Sheila from Flint, Michigan

Answers

Lay A piece of brown paper over the wax and then iron over it with A warm iron.This will melt the wax and the paper will absorb the wax.

Wow, it worked great with the paper bag and iron. Even after it looked like it was gone I went over the carpet a few more times and got more candle wax.

Wowzie-It really did work! Thank you everyone!

WOWZIE-The brown bag/iron really did work! Thank you everyone!

I split beige candle wax on a multi colored rug in a green & tan section . The paper bag & iron method worked amazingly well. Unfortunately, the black section of the rug without wax seems to have hardened or become crusty, as if damaged by the heat. I was unable to iron only the area with wax . Any tips on how to correct this new problem?

I was a skeptic. (I had like 10 tea lights dump onto the floor with a thick layer of wax.) I got a damp towel and used an iron (med/high to high) heat and used the steamer. Totally worked!

Damp cloth and warm iron works like a charm! Thanks!

Remedy somewhat worked but ruined my oriental carpet from the heat. =(

Forget the ice! I think this only works for when wax is on a hard surface. The video to watch on how to remove candle wax with the spoon, forget that too! Use the brown paper bag and an iron on med-high heat with no steam. I had a fuschia candle overflow in 2 different spots, one against the wall trim. What a nightmare! The iron and brown paper lunch bag worked fantastically! I was freaking b/c I thought I was going to lose my security deposit. Both spots are completely gone. Take my word for it, the iron is the way to go!:)

I spilled blue candle wax on my light carpet. I was able to get the wax up, but not the stain. I have tried just about everything! Please help.

By Trina from Loganville, GA

Answers

Best Answer

Use a small amount of liquid oxi cleaner with a brush and gently swab it.

How can I get wax from a candle off a carpet?

By Sherry from Onset, MA

Answers

If it has set I used a blow dryer. It will probably take a while if its a very big spot.

Anonymous

There are oodles of answers in the ThriftyFun archives below ;-) Read the ones about using a clothes iron and paper bags or paper towels.

You peel of the hard part of the candle,then fold paper towel or blotting paper and place it on the candle wax and iron on it. It does work.

Thank You All- Alot I will try these tips.

I used paper towels to clean the dried wax up from the rug but the paper towel stuck to the rug. Please help!

By Ellie from Washington, DC

Answers

Lay ice cubes on it.

Take an iron and put it on the lowest heat setting. Run the iron over the area using a cloth rag as the "buffer". Increase the heat setting as needed. The wax and waxed paper should ultimately stick to the rag. Good luck on that!

How do I get wax out of carpet?

By Kathy

How do I remove candle wax from carpet?

By Julie O from Raleigh, NC

I need to know how to remove melted candle wax from my carpet. Your help is so appreciated.

By Helen B.

A candle melted on my carpet; any suggestions on how to get it up?

By Paulette E.

My son spilled a melted blue candle on our new tan carpet. How do I remove the wax stain?

By Steve

Answers

Place an old towel over the wax stain, press with a hot iron. This worked very well for me. Also, I've heard putting ice of the spot will lift the wax. I'd place the ice in a freezer bag first.

How do you get candle wax off carpet?

Answers:

Candle wax off carpet?

Hi, I know the best way to remove wax off carpet. All you need is an iron and a brown paper bag. Take a brown paper bag and put it over the stain. Use the warm iron to go over the brown paper bag. The bag will "suck up" all the wax and your carpet will be clean! Try it, you won't believe your eyes! I managed to remove a two year old wax stain in no time.

Good luck! (12/01/2003)

By Isabelle

Candle wax off carpet?

I recommend the brown paper bag and iron as well. It worked for me and I have suggested it to two friends and they couldn't believe it was so easy! (03/12/2004)

By Lisa

Candle wax off carpet?

You can also use paper towels covered with aluminum foil. Iron over foil and heat will melt wax and absorb into towel.

I had one of those expensive overrated three-wick candles from a known candle company that got a hot spot (that they claimed their candles did not get) and a hole formed in the side of the candle pouring wax all over an antique doily, a wood table, a decorator basket and my carpet. This method worked on EVERYTHING.

For lumpy items like the basket, I would recommend taping the towel to the basket and pressing the steam button so as not to burn your fingers. As wax melts, it will drip onto towel and be absorbed. (05/07/2004)

By Tawnda

Candle wax off carpet?

I sure hope the brown paper bag method works. Thanks for the advice. (06/10/2004)

By Channon

Candle wax off carpet?

Strange as it may sound, it made a believer out of me! Thanks for the helpful tips. (11/02/2004)

By Tate T.

Candle wax off carpet?

It worked like a charm. I was very impressed. Thought my carpet was ruined, but the brown bag and iron really worked. (11/27/2004)

By Darlene Parent

Candle wax off carpet?

I tried the iron thing and it burnt my carpet. (02/08/2005)

By Susie

Candle wax off carpet?

Hi,
It's very important to use a warm iron, not hot, set at its lowest setting, otherwise you can scorch the carpet. Synthetic fibers like nylon burn easily and because replacing carpets is expensive, take great care. You can also use several layers of paper towel or cover the paper bag or towel with a cotton towel.
Susan from ThriftyFun (02/08/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Candle wax off carpet?

Thanks so much for the tip. The brown paper bag and warm ironed worked great. :) (02/14/2005)

By Chuck

Candle wax off carpet?

Hallelujah! The iron and paper bag trick W-O-R-K-E-D! (03/12/2006)

By Kate

Candle wax off carpet?

A two year old candle wax stain on carpet and the brown bag and iron deal picked it right up. Unbelievable! Thanks to whomever shared the info first. (03/15/2006)

By Mark

Candle wax off carpet?

The paper bag and iron thing really works. You can also use normal paper. It works just as well, but make sure you've got a couple of sheets. (03/18/2006)

By Stephanie

Candle wax off carpet?

Thank you, Oh Paper Bag Guru! My carpet is saved! (11/28/2006)

By Suzanne

Candle wax off carpet?

Great tip! Worked brilliantly. (12/14/2006)

By Helen

Candle wax off carpet?

I have scraped off as much as I could and removed the rest by ironing with a doubled paper towel to melt the candle and absorb the grease. There may be a grease stain remaining, which you can take out with spot removed for grease. There may be problems with colored candles, though, as the coloring may still stain your carpet. Then you might consider trimming the spot - I have even filled in spots on a shag with clean fibers from the edge, which I glued in! (05/25/2007)

By pamphyila

Candle wax off carpet?

I used a double paper towel, a few of them when the oil started melting and had no problem removing red wax off a beige carpet. I did put the iron on the next to lowest setting and when I still saw red, I put the nose of the iron directly on the carpet, then a paper towel underneath when I saw more red! It worked great and did not need a grease cleaner. (07/06/2007)

By Suzanne

Candle wax off carpet?

Thank you to all the wonderful people that saved my carpet. I had no idea what or how to do this without your help. It worked! (07/27/2007)

By Roxi/Bemidji, MN

Candle wax off carpet?

Thanks for all the help. My brother just recently got married and before he did, his fiance and her two kids and his son all lived together and somehow out of the three kids, one of them encouraged the other two to pour red wax on a beige floor. Now the sister is trying to get the wax up. (10/09/2007)

By Candace

Candle wax off carpet?

Thanks for the great tips, you saved me from a really bad candle wax situation! I also just used normal white paper which worked fine when I ran out of brown paper. (10/21/2007)

Candle wax off carpet?

Brown paper bag with iron worked great. (11/27/2007)

Candle wax off carpet?

Do the paper bag and an iron, it works awesome! I used the paper lunch bag and the iron at normal ironing temperature. (02/18/2008)

By David

Candle wax off carpet?

Thank you all! I've been crying about the wax on my couch. After the paper bag and 4 minutes, never knew it was there! (03/14/2008)

Candle wax off carpet?

The brown paper bag and LOW iron really worked. You made a believer out of me. I spilled red wax all over my cream colored carpet. I am a fanatic. I ironed it out. But, the black from the candle wick was still there. I used soap and water to get that out. Thanks. (03/22/2008)

By Nancy

Candle wax off carpet?

This really worked. I had it on a pretty low setting at first, but I put the iron on 4, and it started working right away. It looks as if nothing was there. I would suggest going no higher than 4. And paper towels work just fine. (07/03/2008)

By Ms. Savage

Candle wax off carpet?

Incredible. I'm trying to sell my home and was frantic about an unsightly wax stain, but this worked in under a minute. Thank you! (10/27/2008)

Candle wax off carpet?

Yes, it even works for Nair Hair Removal Wax! Unbelievable. (01/07/2009)

By Michele

Candle Wax on Carpet

Use a few brown paper bags (according on the size of the mess) and an iron on low, you may need to do this several times, but it works great! (12/31/2007)

By Lori

Candle Wax on Carpet

I had a tea light holder on top of my tv and it fell off leaving a patch of molten wax on my carpet, I saw that someone used boiling water on the wax and rubbed it straight away with a towel, I did this and it worked perfectly and it's a tip I'll remember as I do like to burn candles.
Cheers - Ailsa (01/11/2008)

By Ailsa

Candle Wax on Carpet

Thanks for the tip of damp towel and warm/hot iron it worked in less than 10 seconds. (01/12/2008)

By Mue

Candle Wax on Carpet

Damp cloth and warm iron worked a treat! Thanks a mill! (01/26/2008)

By FRANCES

Candle Wax on Carpet

Hi, we tried brown paper bag and a hot iron, it worked perfectly. Thanks (01/27/2008)

By Maureen

Candle Wax on Carpet

Thank you so very very much. I used the damp cloth and iron and you were all right, it was off the
carpet in 10 seconds. (01/30/2008)

By Carol - Wisconsin

Does anyone know how to get wax out of a carpet, I knocked a candle over and the wax went all over the carpet.

Toddy

Answers:
Candle Wax Carpet 01/02/2005
Some of the color may stain your carpet/clothing but one step at a time is the apporoach to take. First you want to remove the wax, simply crape off as much as possible then place newspaper over the wax and use an iron to heat (on warm, not hot), replace newspaper and repeat until the wax is removed. If you are lucky, it may not leave a stain if you had a colored candle, but if it does, then you'll have to research carpet stain removal. Remove the wax first or nothing will penetrate the stain if you have one.
By Barbie
Candle Wax Carpet 01/02/2005
Sometimes one has to wonder about suggestions but if it makes you feel any better I was going to suggest the iron & newspaper method as well. The only thing I would add is start with a very low heat first, remember you are just trying to get the wax to melt some not get wrinkles out of the newspaper (or start a fire)!
By Jenn
Candle Wax Carpet 01/02/2005
Try using a hair dryer and then blotting with a rag. Hope this helps.
By christine lauderback
Candle Wax Carpet 01/03/2005
Use a brown paper lunch bag, place it over the wax, and use a (warm) not hot iron to slowly iron it out.

Diane

By Diane
Candle Wax Carpet 01/04/2005
Use ice on wax to freeze and carefully scrape off as much as you can with a knife. Take a brown paper bag and place a square over the wax a little at a time. Set iron on the absolute lowest setting. Slowly iron lightly over brown paper. It takes a while and you may have to repeat. Use new nbrown paper square often til all wax is gone. Never leave iron unattended or on paper for longer then it takes to lightly run it over the paper. Always use brown paper. Most carpets are made of items that will melt if they get too hot
By Walker
Candle Wax Carpet 01/05/2005
To remove wax place a damp towel on the spot and then use a warm iron on the towel this will bring up the wax everytime.
By Toni
Candle Wax Carpet 01/16/2005
There are products on the market to help remove wax from carpets. Churches always have this same problem.
By peggy g. vidal
Candle Wax Carpet 04/26/2006
Toni suggessted to put a damp towel and use a hot iron and it worked. My candle wax was pink and there wasn't even a stain on the carpet once I was finished. Thanks sooo much. I am moving out of my apartment and I didn't want to have to pay to replace the carpet because of the candel wax carpet stain. I now don't have to worry about paying for the carpet. Thanks again!!!
By Clara

Does anybody have any tips on removing candle wax from carpet? Thanks.

How do I get candle wax off carpet?

How can you get candle dye off the carpet once you remove the wax?

I would like to know how to remove candle wax from a carpet.

How do I get candle wax off carpet?

An aromatherapy candle dripped onto the carpet. I have scraped some off, how do I remove the rest?

I am at work right now and I had a new candle (in a jar) sitting next to my space heater on the floor acting as a candle heater.

I spilled some blue candle wax on my living room carpet. How can I remove it?

How do you remove candle wax from carpet?