Removing Candle Wax from Silk

Category Laundry
Wax can be difficult to clean from any cloth, especially silk. This is a guide about removing candle wax from silk.

After a christmas service at our church a lady was blowing out the candles and she got some on her silk blouse. She has put the blouse away because she doesn't want to throw it away but the wax is where everyone can see it. She has tried ice and stuff but it didn't work. Also I need something that will work on table clothes too. :)

Ashley in OH

Answers

Best Answer

A friend asked me to search the internet for how to get candle wax out of her granddaughters dress pants. She needed to wear them to a function. I said well she can wear them, this site I go to posts help for everything! I searched and VIOLA!

I told her to lay them on top a brown paper bag with paper towels underneath for padding (wax side down) and to iron the top side with a warm iron. She was skeptical but said, "oh well, if that doesn't work Ill toss them out". The pants were rayon/polyester.

She called back so happy and excited and said, "Wow, thanks so much it WORKED and I can't even see where the wax was!". She was laughing with joy! Thanks posters!

Best Answer

When it is cotton or any fabric that can handle ordinary washing powder with oxygen bleach (colors can handle this) and enzymes candle wax is no problem. Spray-on stain removers and extra power like Vanish will make the candle wax dissolve in water at 40 degrees Celsius. For very stubborn stains a second or third treatment might be necessary.

Silk and wool is too delicate for these harsh detergents. If it is a costly item call a couple of dry cleaners.

Best Answer

Lay the item on your ironing board and cover the spot with a brown paperbag and iron over it. The heat from the iron will transfer the wax on to the paperbag. I've been using this method for years with great success.

Here's some info...

Question - How do you remove candle wax from a tablecloth?

It depends on the material of the table cloth: Acetate, Burlap, Fiberglass, Rayon, Rope, Silk, Triacetate, Wool Freeze to harden the wax. Carefully scrape up as much wax as you can, then place an absorbent pad under the stain and flush with spot remover. Allow to dry and repeat if necessary.

Acrylic Fabric, Cotton, Linen, Modacrylic, Nylon, Olefin, Polyester, Washable Wool Scrape to remove excess wax. Place the stained area between two pieces of white blotting paper and press with a warm (not hot) iron. Change the paper as it absorbs the stain. This stain can easily spread, so use care while pressing. On colorfast fabrics, whit cotton, or linen, try pouring boiling water through the stain. Allow to dry. If any trace remains, flush with dry-cleaning fluid. If any dye remains, sponge with 1 part rubbing alcohol mixed with 2 parts water. (Do not use this solution on acrylic or modacrylic fabric.) Rinse well with clear water and dry.

A good resource is How To Beat Housework ISBN 0-88176-435-3

- Nathan A. Unterman

--------------------

One trick my wife uses is to place the cloth in the freezer for a few hours. Often, the wax falls right off in many cases.

- Steve Sample

Source: http://www.newt … n99/gen99819.htm