Canning Green Tomatoes

Years ago a neighbor gave me a recipe for canning green tomatoes. I remember that you salted the sliced green tomatoes along with sliced onions and let them sit overnight. Then you rinsed them and packed onions and tomatoes in canning jars. There was a vinegar solution for the tomatoes and you also added oil. Then the tomatoes were processed.

Once cooled you could use the tomatoes on sandwiches. They were delicious. Does anyone have a recipe that sounds similar to this? I would love to make these and use all of our green tomatoes. Thanks.

Chris from Livonia, NY

Answers:

Canning Green Tomatoes

I just googled for the recipes using green tomatoes and I had no problem finding it. Google: canning green tomatoes
THEN when some websites come up, go to recipe websites and then put in the ingredients you are wishing to include.

I made green tomato pickles, using the cherry tomatoes. With the rest of my romas, I made the pints I need to show at the fair next Aug and then have been drying the rest. O-M-G they taste good. Instead of using the dehydrator, I am using a cookie sheet (OLD ONE) covered with foil, a cookie cooling rack on top and then the tomato sections. I sprinkle kosher salt over them in a bowl, shake it around and then spread them on a sheet to dry on 190 to 200 degrees. After a couple hours drying, capture the juice that has dripped in the pan. This is so good for stock.

(10/10/2008)

By T and T Grandma

Canning Green Tomatoes

I always use the large mouth jars, wash and slice the tomatoes, place in jars as if you were stacking them, leave desired space at the top, add 1 tsp salt, fill with cold water just to cover tomatoes. Put lids on, process in pressure canner, 5 pounds pressure for 5 minutes. Allow to cool, store as you would canned goods. To prepare drain tomatoes (handle carefully they are fragile) roll in cornmeal, and fry slices as you would fresh green tomatoes. GOOD! (10/11/2008)

By GenW

Canning Green Tomatoes

Chris from Livonia, that sounds similar to a recipe that I use for hot peppers. Soak them overnight in 1 gal. water and 1 cup table salt. Add to quart jars 2-3 gloves garlic, pinch of alum, 1/2-1 tsp. Italian seasoning mix and 2-3 Tbsp. good veg oil or canola oil. Then pack with peppers or tomatoes. Make solution of 1 gal. water, 1 cup pickling salt and 1 cup cider vinegar, bring to boil. Add to jars with peppers or tomatoes all ready in them. Process hot water bath for 10 minutes for quart jars, 5 minutes for pint jars. Hope this helps. (06/28/2009)

By DawnMM

green tomatoes
Canning Green Tomatoes
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
🎉
🎄