Browsing: Caring for White Hair

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Caring for White Hair

As we all age our hair begins to gray. Eventually it moves on to white. Keeping your white hair looking its best is easy to do. This is a guide about caring for white hair.

Woman with White Hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 17, 2014 Flag

I am 69 and was dyeing my hair since I was 27. My hair is pure white and it is loosing the pigment and getting invisible. It makes me look like I am going bald. I haven't been able to locate any white dye. Is there any?

By Claire A

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Suggest you make an apointment with a dermatologist to answer your concerns. She or he will be able to clarify any possible medical problem and recommend treatment to improve your hair's condition.

There is a mousse product called Roux that is sold by Sally Beauty. It comes in all types of shades. My hair is also white and I put in a bit of mousse everyday which makes my hair a nice white/gray silvery shade. The cost is about $10.00 a bottle and you only have to use a little bit.

I use vinegar for a hair rinse to "brighten" my white hair. Gives it some volume too! If you try it make sure you keep eyes closed until all the vinegar is rinsed off otherwise you get some burning in your eyes. Only did it once. LOL

I have never heard of white hair losing its colour. Do you mean it is becoming clear? I have just googled some info regarding hair, and there is no mention of this anywhere. I would suggest that your hair is, in fact, getting thinner. My mom, who is in her 80's, does have much thinner hair now than she did when she was younger. If you don't think this is the problem, why don't you try dying your hair blond. I have many friends in their 70's who go blond, no matter what their natural colour was, as blond goes well with older skin tones.

November 10, 2009 Flag

My hair is nearly 100% white in front with streaks of dirty blonde throughout the crown and back. I don't mind grey, but the white around the front makes me look tired and washed out.

I've been dying blonde for years and I want to stop. What would you do about the white in front? My hairdresser suggested lowlights, but I also cannot afford the cost. What are the other senior ladies doing with their hair?

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

I would not dye your beautiful hair. I used to pay for expensive frosting, but quit when I developed a problem with my scalp. It was the best thing I have ever done!

Please remember that it is in the best interest of your hairdresser if you dye your hair as that is how she makes her money. Treat yourself to a chic haircut instead. A wonderful cut allows the hair to lay well.

Also, I'd like you to think about your "white" hair as silver instead. There are shampoos available to remove any yellow from the white in grey hair. I believe this yellow is actually a deposit from water in your home or from hair products you are using.

Keep your hair healthy and shiny. Make that a priority. Eat well. Improve your diet as we all should continually try to do. Drink milk and eat vegetables and fruits. Use whole grains. Massage your scalp with the balls or tips of your fingers rather than your fingernails. Massage increases the blood flow to the roots of your hair.

Perhaps most important of all is wearing a flattering color of clothing near your face. With white or silver hair, those shades are usually softer. Rather than bright red, you may want to use raspberry or strawberry... which are more pinky and less harsh. dont forget its not only your hair that is changing but also your skin tone. Stay away from black near your face as that is too harsh a color for you right now. Try charcoal grey instead. These little adjustments make all the difference in the world!

Don't forget the saying, "You can't fool Mother Nature." Mother Nature always knows best even with hair coloring imho. I think you will find your coloring "suits you." Think positively about it and learn you love yourself as you are.

I care. Best wishes always.

I must add something to my previous post.

I live in an area of the country where there are a lot of mature women. We are 2nd only to retirement counties of Florida in this regard. Women here tend to color their grey hair in a shade I refer to as "old lady blonde." Please, please, please do not dye your hair old-lady blonde. Its not flattering and its not appropriate for you or any other mature woman.

I have white hair and color it light ash blonde, then apply streaks of Goldwell Colorance in a copper color, just to add highlights. The streaks fade over a couple of weeks as it is a foam-in temporary color, but it is a color no-one else has, and it isn't hard or expensive. The container lasts about a year. I just spray some on to my finger tips and "paint" it through my hair in streaks, let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse it out. If it's too dark, you just wash it a couple of times with shampoo and it lightens up.

"Accept what you cannot change; white hair, natural curls. Acceptance is the key."

Are you kidding me ? I love having naturally curly hair and would not trade it! Regarding the white, I like to sparkle mine up with unnatural color streaks, mostly ruby-colored.

Read More Answers...

March 15, 2014 Flag

Last October I started using Kenra shampoo, conditioner, and curl spray. In only six months my hair has become so yellow it blends right into my beige sweater. I haven't made any dietary or medication changes. What can I do to get my beautiful white hair back, short of having my head shaved?

By cori_lahn

I use Shimmer Lights shampoo, once a week, to keep the yellow out of my hair. All other times, I use Pantene shampoo & conditioner.

When I was a hairdresser, there were times when hair needed to be stripped of buildup due to over conditioning, taking medication, and chlorine from swimming. Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with enough nail polish remover to make a paste and work it through damp hair. Rinse and shampoo after 15 or 20 minutes. Mix a cup of water with 1/4 cup of vinegar for a final rinse. Vinegar is a grease cutter and is acidic which helps equalize the pH of hair. Repeat this treatment if needed.

I rinse my hair daily with apple cider vinegar. It will strip everything off your hair and leaves it squeaky clean. We have very hard water and it used to give me orange colored hair. I have used the vinegar for years now and have hot had the orange hair since.

May 17, 2010 Flag

I have all white hair and would really like to get it back to salt and pepper. I am 49 years old and it ages me. Has anybody ever done this? Thanks.

By Murph from Hanover, MA

Could you get highlights of color on your white hair so it looks naturally colored and white mixed? If you try it, use temporary hair coloring, or go to a salon at least for the first time. You could also try streaking if the colors go with your coloring and eyebrows and lashes. Google how to streak hair or how to highlight hair for help if you want to do it at home.

I'm in a similar pickle. I'd go to a real, old fashioned hair salon with many years in business. The one I go to has stylists who have 30 years of experience with cut, color, etc. That's what I did - I'm 54. We're still working out a decision, but I wouldn't experiment on myself. White hair is hard to work with and I would not take a chance on any self coloring. My opinion. I can believe it ages you. It ages me. My hairdresser said that if I do keep gray hair, my makeup has to be really, really, natural.

I was in a similiar situation and grayed early. In my 40's I looked like 70 with gray hair. I decided to try color and had it done at my salon where I trust my hairdresser to come up with the right shade. After a few tries we came up with a pretty brown color that I call my "Hershey Chocolate" brown lol. I love it and feel so much younger with the improvement of color. I found the problem with gray hair also was that it wouldn't hold a perm. The only recommendation I have is to have a professional do it first. If you want to do it yourself later with the dyes available in the stores you will have a reference color to go with. You won't regret going with color.

It's called a reverse frosting/highlight. Have a professional do it and choose a warm dark brown which would look more natural than a black pepper.

Read More Answers...

August 4, 2010 Flag

Does the chlorine in pools turn white hair yellow?

February 9, 2010 Flag

My hair is the salt and pepper, gray color. Is there a way to make it all white?

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair TipsAugust 6, 2013
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:58:39 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.