Cat Pooping in Bathtub

Sometimes our pets choose the wrong place to their duty inside the house. This guide is about cat pooping in the bathtub.

June 1, 2010 Flag

My 2 year old cat has been pooping in the bathtub for a year. I have used ammonia, vinegar, and orange scent to clean in the bathtub. All the products prevented her habits in the bathtub briefly. She used her litterbox for a week or 2, but the poo poo continues.

She's been checked at the vet, her litter box is kept clean, and I've tried different litters. It stains my tub, and I use a bleach solution to remove it, but then it continues. Any solutions or suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

Brossi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try putting the litter box in the bath tub. Maybe she will get the idea?

Yes, start with the litter box in the tub and then if she uses it there, wait a few days and move it to right beside the tub. After a few more days move it a few more feet away and continue this until the box is where you want it. Also just be glad she isn't pooping in the center of your bed. That's what my cat did and the moving the box thing cured her of it. Hope this helps :)

I keep the litter box in the bathtub as I have a very old cat and she frequently misses. Rather than have it on the floor (yes, I tried putting a rug and then newspapers underneath it, neither of which worked), I find it easier to clean the tub than the floor.

Hi Brossi!

I've always owned cats and I know they don't like aluminum foil. It may be a pain but perhaps if you kept a strip of it in the shower your kitty will find it unpleasant enough to go back to her box. You may need to remove it and replace it each time someone showers but it might be worth it.

Hope that helps.

Patti

I had a similar problem with a cat we rescued a year ago. He pooped on area rugs, laundry in laundry baskets and many other "soft" places. He had been declawed before we got him. I later read that declawed cats don't like litter. I read on the internet to put the kind of litter used by hamsters in the litter box. That worked for us.

Just keep the bathroom door closed.

There is a product called Comfort Zone with feliway. A cat will not potty where this pheremone has been sprayed (90% of the time). It is a fine mist that should not make your tub slippery. It worked perfectly for me when my cat had a bladder infection and abandoned the litter box. It is available most everywhere, but cheapest on the internet.

One of my cats did this too. You need to think like your cat to figure out why. I had four over-sized litter boxes in the basement, scooped clean every morning. They did not have too much litter (cats don't like to sink up to their ankles in litter, they just want enough to make a little hole and to cover up after), it wasn't scented, he would use it some of the time.

It was always before meal time that he did this. Although a kitten, he was the Alpha cat of the group. Eating was very important to him - he ate first and last. I finally figured out that he was "worried" about missing his meal if he went to the basement to use the litter box. I began feeding them in the basement. He stopped using the tub. Eventually I was able to resume feeding them in the kitchen.

My point is, think like your cat. Put together all the pieces, what else is happening when she does this, the timing, anything at all could be a clue. Good luck!

Try newspaper in the litter box. Some cats will refuse to use a litter box with cat litter in it. Also keep something strong smelling in the bathtub like orange peels so your cat will avoid it.

April 26, 2007 Flag

My adolescent male cat keeps on pooping in the bath, it is starting to get rather annoying. He was a stray and turned up on our doorstep about 5 weeks ago (you know the old saying "cats choose you not the other way around"). I have tried bleach cleaning the bath in hope that he has no smell to go back to, the garage door is always slightly ajar so he can come and go as he pleases morning or night. I would shut the bathroom door, but I'm scared he will just find a more disastrous place to do his nasty business. People have said rub his nose in it, but I won't because I believe it will just make him anxious, and I think I would not like my nose rubbed in the mistakes I have ever made. Does anyone have any helpful advise for me to use?

Jonty from New Zealand

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This could be bad behavior, but it could be he has worms or parasites or something else. Cats are smarter than we give them credit for. He may be trying to call your attention to his stomach problem. It would probably be wise to have him checked by a Vet. If nothing is wrong, then I would advise the water in the tub, and keeping him pinned up in a room with his litterbox, so he could get the idea again.

Place the litter box in the bath tub until kitty is accustomed to using it. Show him how interesting it is by scratching your hands thru it to give him the idea. Confining kitty in the room w/ the litter box might help also. Then you can slowly move the box to the place in the house you wish it to be. Move it SLOWLY, a little at a time each day. Read this in a book.

Hi!

I have two female cats who read my signals and vice versa. They know exactly what I want or don't want and I know exactly what they want or don't want.

We often have a battle of wills and sometimes I let them win. Other times I will grab them by the scruff of their necks, show them why I am angry with them and escort them out the door. This usually works...or not ;-)

Thankyou guys

I will give each and every one of your suggestions a go, Ill let you know what happens.

well, do NOT rub his nose in it...they have no idea what you are doing that for they can not make that connect, their brains are simply not wired for that kind of thinking.

It is quite possible that where he lived before his liter box was placed in the bathtub, to keep the mess off the floor. Not a good idea, but people do some dumb things. I agree, put a little water in the tub, or put the litter box in there. Also, you can try shutting him in a room with the litter box.

Now you can train him by aversion training, but you have to catch him in the act everytime and spray him with a water spritzer...or in my cats' case crumble a plastic bag. Their brains can make that connection.

My mother had a cat that one day after 5 or 6 yrs. decided to forgo the litter box and pee at the top of the stairs. She eventually had to move the litter box to that area. Good luck

You could also crumble some tin foil and place it in the tub, with newspaper on top. The idea is to make the cat feel safe with the newspaper, then, when he steps on it, the crunchiness of the crumpled foil, he can't stand it. One book I read suggested using those tiny mousetraps, set and then covered by the newspaper. Again, making a "safe" but scary environment out of your tub. These ideas would work in any place, and I used them to keep my cat out of a particular windowsill that he would climb over the couch with nasty paws to get to.

You sound like a very wonderful, good-hearted person. No wonder the kitty chose you. If you fill the bathtub, I think you'd want to be home for the kitty bath, just to be on the safe side.

Remembering that cats like to poop in one place, urinate in another, for some odd reason. Spraying is marking "new" territory, so the cleaner it is, the more it will mark it. I'd wash all but a tiny amt. of the spray off, hopefully it will satisfy the cat? Also,

cats don't like green bean juice, lemon ju., or orange scent. Try those fragrances as odors to discourage the cat? Make sure that the cat can get to the "private" cat box, that it is changed often, and

that the floor is clean around it as well. God bless and help you. : )

Cats will mark their territory with poop as well as peeing. Neutered or not. Only males in my opinion but I am not totally sure. Maybe something has happened to make your cat uneasy. You maynot have noticed but it might be a big deal for him.

I had high hopes for a product called Feliway which is supposed to make them feel safe and secure. I see they even sell a plug in diffuser now. I just have too many other male cats in my neighborhood.

I dont know if it will work for you. But it's a suggestion.

http://www.feli  S=5&Key=null

I had the same problem with my male cat. He just one day started to pee in the bath tub. I tried everything from cleaning out the tub as best as I could, putting plastic in there to scare him away and finally I put the litter box in the tub. I let it stay in there a week or so and then moved it right outside the bathtub. That didn't work either. I finally put the litter box in the hallway and closed the bathroom door. When I started to open the bathroom door again he used it again. I finally put a piece of wood over most of the tub. There is still an opening he can get into the tub with but he doesn't try. Good luck!

January 19, 2015 Flag

My cat has been pooping in the bathtub lately. It's not cause she doesn't like her litter box, she uses it just as much as the bathtub. She has all my other pets scared, and usually tries to attack them. She's also very anti-social. I know she grew up in a very bad environment before I got her, so what should I do?

By jenny p

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets TrainingDecember 9, 2013
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:13:51 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.