Cat Pooping in Bathtub

Category Training
A cat sitting in a bathtub.
Sometimes our pets choose the wrong place to their duty inside the house. This guide is about cat pooping in the bathtub.

My 2 year old cat has been pooping in the bathtub for a year. I have used ammonia, vinegar, and orange scent to clean in the bathtub. All the products prevented her habits in the bathtub briefly. She used her litterbox for a week or 2, but the poo poo continues.

She's been checked at the vet, her litter box is kept clean, and I've tried different litters. It stains my tub, and I use a bleach solution to remove it, but then it continues. Any solutions or suggestions will be helpful. Thank you.

Brossi

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Try putting the litter box in the bath tub. Maybe she will get the idea?

My adolescent male cat keeps on pooping in the bath, it is starting to get rather annoying. He was a stray and turned up on our doorstep about 5 weeks ago (you know the old saying "cats choose you not the other way around"). I have tried bleach cleaning the bath in hope that he has no smell to go back to, the garage door is always slightly ajar so he can come and go as he pleases morning or night. I would shut the bathroom door, but I'm scared he will just find a more disastrous place to do his nasty business. People have said rub his nose in it, but I won't because I believe it will just make him anxious, and I think I would not like my nose rubbed in the mistakes I have ever made. Does anyone have any helpful advise for me to use?

Jonty from New Zealand

I use to have a cat that did that everyday.I also had a litter box but he would still poop in the bath tub.One day I decided enough was enough.I fill the tub with water.I came home to a wet bathroom and cat but it stopped him for good.I did this a couple of weeks just to make sure he understood.He never pooped in the tub again.

Bleach actually attracts a cat as it is like ammonia - I would suggest something with orange oil in it to detract it. Is it desexed at all - you may need to look at that aspect and provide as clean litter tray - once you show it where it is he may just start using that instead of the bath

This could be bad behavior, but it could be he has worms or parasites or something else. Cats are smarter than we give them credit for. He may be trying to call your attention to his stomach problem. It would probably be wise to have him checked by a Vet. If nothing is wrong, then I would advise the water in the tub, and keeping him pinned up in a room with his litterbox, so he could get the idea again.

Place the litter box in the bath tub until kitty is accustomed to using it. Show him how interesting it is by scratching your hands thru it to give him the idea. Confining kitty in the room w/ the litter box might help also. Then you can slowly move the box to the place in the house you wish it to be. Move it SLOWLY, a little at a time each day. Read this in a book.

Hi!

I have two female cats who read my signals and vice versa. They know exactly what I want or don't want and I know exactly what they want or don't want.

We often have a battle of wills and sometimes I let them win. Other times I will grab them by the scruff of their necks, show them why I am angry with them and escort them out the door. This usually works...or not ;-)

Thankyou guys

I will give each and every one of your suggestions a go, Ill let you know what happens.

well, do NOT rub his nose in it...they have no idea what you are doing that for they can not make that connect, their brains are simply not wired for that kind of thinking.

It is quite possible that where he lived before his liter box was placed in the bathtub, to keep the mess off the floor. Not a good idea, but people do some dumb things. I agree, put a little water in the tub, or put the litter box in there. Also, you can try shutting him in a room with the litter box.

Now you can train him by aversion training, but you have to catch him in the act everytime and spray him with a water spritzer...or in my cats' case crumble a plastic bag. Their brains can make that connection.

My mother had a cat that one day after 5 or 6 yrs. decided to forgo the litter box and pee at the top of the stairs. She eventually had to move the litter box to that area. Good luck

You could also crumble some tin foil and place it in the tub, with newspaper on top. The idea is to make the cat feel safe with the newspaper, then, when he steps on it, the crunchiness of the crumpled foil, he can't stand it. One book I read suggested using those tiny mousetraps, set and then covered by the newspaper. Again, making a "safe" but scary environment out of your tub. These ideas would work in any place, and I used them to keep my cat out of a particular windowsill that he would climb over the couch with nasty paws to get to.

You sound like a very wonderful, good-hearted person. No wonder the kitty chose you. If you fill the bathtub, I think you'd want to be home for the kitty bath, just to be on the safe side.

Remembering that cats like to poop in one place, urinate in another, for some odd reason. Spraying is marking "new" territory, so the cleaner it is, the more it will mark it. I'd wash all but a tiny amt. of the spray off, hopefully it will satisfy the cat? Also,

cats don't like green bean juice, lemon ju., or orange scent. Try those fragrances as odors to discourage the cat? Make sure that the cat can get to the "private" cat box, that it is changed often, and

that the floor is clean around it as well. God bless and help you. : )

Cats will mark their territory with poop as well as peeing. Neutered or not. Only males in my opinion but I am not totally sure. Maybe something has happened to make your cat uneasy. You maynot have noticed but it might be a big deal for him.

I had high hopes for a product called Feliway which is supposed to make them feel safe and secure. I see they even sell a plug in diffuser now. I just have too many other male cats in my neighborhood.

I dont know if it will work for you. But it's a suggestion.

http://www.feli  S=5&Key=null

My cat has been pooping in the bathtub lately. It's not cause she doesn't like her litter box, she uses it just as much as the bathtub. She has all my other pets scared, and usually tries to attack them. She's also very anti-social. I know she grew up in a very bad environment before I got her, so what should I do?

By jenny p