Cat Scratching Its Neck

If you kitty is scratching its neck, the first thing to do is try to determine the cause. This is a guide about a cat scratching its neck.

February 8, 2011 Flag

How do I stop my cat from scratching all the skin off of her neck?

By Silver Cloud from Mississauga, ON, Canada

Best Answer

Hi. Aaahh, poor little Kirby. My cat had the same problem, and it ended up that she had allergies. She would scratch herself raw and be miserable. She needed to get allergy shots, and it helped. Good luck

Best Answer

I have a white cat about 2 years old. Last year he started scratching his neck raw! We tried everything. Food allergies, steroid shots, wrapped his neck, soft claws on his nails. Revolution. Finally, after changing vets, the only thing that worked was getting an antihistamine (we use chlorophenaramine) we bought 4mg pills (human pills) cut them in half and give him half a pill twice a day. in about a week completely stopped scratching! The other very important thing is to get a E-collar (at PetSmart) this will help raw spots heal faster. Also, if cat has gotten an infection because of dirt getting on wounds. They need an antibiotic for 2 weeks to a month.

Best Answer

Change food. Start with no food from grocery store pet food aisle. No corn wheat or soy. Cooking is good especially when you do some raw. Please google healthy kitty diet including raw. -- Itch? Athletes foot spray. If kitty is wild on this application, use the ointment. AFS even a good home treatment for ringworm. AFSpray cannot hurt your kitty. Takes the itch away, Could be fungus, but AFS kills lots of germs. Do not get in her eyes. Easy way to spray her is to wrap her, covering her head.

Hi Kokies, I hope you see this message. I have a cat that has very similar issues for the past 2 1/2 years, ever since I picked her up from the shelter where my aunt took her when my grandma got sick and couldn't care for her anymore. She never had ANY issues before, but now has itchy patches with a bump or two that causes her to scratch her neck bald. I have taken her to the vet dozens of times and got her an antibiotic and steroid shot that would last for a few months (up to 6 months) int he beginning, but now she has been going every 2 weeks for the past month and a half and she is getting worse. I am out of money now and don't know what I am going to do. But I am writing you because I am not sure your cat has allergies at all since the symptoms sound like something I just read in an article while trying to figure out what my cat has. It's a middle ear infection, which won't cause any secretions from the ears, but will cause ulcers on the eyes, scratching the ears and neck. You might want to ask your doctor about it. If it isn't treated properly, it will come and go with treatment. My vet said he recommends giving oral antibiotics and keep giving them to her until a week after all symptoms disappear. I am watching my cat wake up and scratch her neck as we speak, poor thing. She is declawed so it doesn't do the damage it would if she had claws. PLEASE ask you doctor about the middle ear infection and also, if he says it isn't that, ask about giving your cat the antibiotic treatment for a month or 2 until it all is completely healed. Prayers for our kitties, they are family! <3

February 15, 2013 Flag

My little Dante just went into heat about 7 days ago. She is about 5 months old. We have four other cats that all live indoors only and span from thirteen years to three years old.

We live in the Sierra Nevada foot hills and my nearest neighbor is about 150 feet away from my house. Last night there was a fire at his house because he had a meth lab that that went up according to the fire department and the fire took out a lot of his house and property. The smoke was profuse and we were on alert to evacuate in case it crossed the fire lane separating the properties and if the smoke got too bad because it was a drug making operation.

She was in the carrier for over half the night along with her surrogate mother Betty who loves her dearly. The other cats were in their own carriers. I an unsure if she is having a reaction from the stress from last night, the smoke from the meth lab, from her being in heat, or if she had started having an unexplained allergy and I don't know what to do! I cannot afford to take her to the vet right away until I get my taxes back. Please help with my question, Thank you very much.

By Lederofcola from Auberry, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I really don't feel that Lizzyanny was being judgemental in any way. She was simply trying to stress how important it was to see a vet because of all that was going on and the many things that could be causing the scratching. So many pet owners would not have realized the importance of that and she was just offering advice. Thankfully you are one of those owners who does know how important it can be and you did the right thing. I hope everything turns around for you now. God Bless you both.

I feel badly for your situation. I think it will be difficult for anyone but a Vet to determine what is causing you cats distress. As for waiting to see a Vet; if your cat has been affected by the smoke from the meth fire, you really need to have her see a Vet asap. Good luck to you.

The reason I do not have money right now is because it took all of my money to leave for the night and the next day which was very expensive and took my savings. I normally would have money to attend to my animals but due to the emergency I was financially tapped out. You should not judge people because of their finances at the time. It is not right.

I have actually borrowed money from my family and took her to the vet and the vet said that it is from the stress of being in heat and from us being stressed out as well causing a stress chain reaction that in turn make her scratch like crazy. She gave her antibiotics and a shot for pain and to calm her down. So please do not judge people it is not cool. I was just asking for advice not for a judgement.

February 4, 2016 Flag

My cat had a collar on for about 2 months, but ripped it off. Now he has scratch marks all over his neck! He also has a really bad scratch on his face and is always scratching at it. I have another cat and they're not the best of friends, so I don't know whether it's related to that (stress) or something else. I would really like some help because it's always bleeding and I'm scared it will get infected.

It is very hard to say what caused the scratches. He may have an allergy. Cats can get a type of skin cancer (usually easy to cure). A scratch that doesn't heal would send me to the vet right away.

The scratches could be infected. Cats get fecal residue on their feet when they go to the litterbox. Then they scratch themselves. If he got scratched fighting with the other cat infection can result.

I'd try triple antibiotic ointment, though he'll probably lick it off. Watch for a few days and if it doesn't seem to be helping take him to the vet.

November 5, 2015 Flag

I just moved to a new apartment a few months ago so it could easily be allergies. My cat is scratching her neck, I haven't looked closely at it, but it feels like the little scabs she had all over her skin when she had fleas. I am a poor college kid so I'm trying to figure out what it is without taking her to the vet, but I feel like it's about time to go to the vet anyway. When she did have the scabs all over her body I decided it was flea bite sensitivity, I treated her for fleas. Everything went away, but around her neck. She is still eating fine and acting like herself, but she is scratching her neck like crazy. I don't know if I should worry about her or just wait and see if it just goes away since she's acting fine.

Something is definitely bothering your cat and it probably won't disappear on it's own. Please take her to the vet ASAP. Delay may only worsen the problem and your cat is obviously suffering.

July 25, 2011 Flag

My cat has very itchy skin around his neck ever since he had to wear an Elizabethan collar post-op. A cortisone injection cleared up the itchy scabs, but now they've come back, and the poor old boy is scratching a lot. Is there an alternative to cortisone to ease his itching skin?

By Debera from Australia

Hello,

Yes! there is another medication that your Veterinarian can give you. Please give him/her a call and ask. Good luck. If you cat wears a collar, please take it off, and make sure you use flea prevention.

No grocery aisle commercial cat food. Usual first ingredient is corn. BIG allergen to cats and dogs along with wheat and soy fillers. I am a firm believer in Nzymes granules. Container will last a very long time. Builds immune system. Helps skin, digestion, allergies, joints and general health. Kitty food, best i have found besides raw diet along with Evo. While more expensive, pets eat less of it because they are satisfied and not gobbling fillers. Nzymes help with the raw diet change. I can't say enough about what a help Nzymes is. No, I don't sell it or profit in any way. Just enjoy helping animals and their comfort and health. If you have fleas, they must be eliminated. 20 mule team Borax, dry into carpets, cedercide in yard areas. Please no more chemicals, no pharma, no vaccines, no suffering. Build the immune system, do not destroy it.

Give him a bath on the original CAREX (blue) it really works.

Best of luck.

Olivia.

Thank you muttmom. Where can I get all these natural ingredients in England?

August 22, 2011 Flag

My indoor cat scratched a spot on his neck and won't stop scratching it. I put Neosporin on and it looks better, but he is still scratching although not as much. It has a scab over the spot and he still scratches and opens up the scab. Am I doing the right thing?

By Rita

Is it ringworm? http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=223

February 8, 2011 Flag

My cat Kirby is about 3 yrs old. About 4 months ago he started scratching his neck until it is raw. He has been to the vet, but I didn't get any answers other than he does not have fleas or ear mites.

December 23, 2008 Flag

I have a 2 year old indoor cat that has been scratching his neck so much that he has an open sore on it. Trust me, he has no fleas. I put one of those funnel collars on him to prevent him from scratching and used a topical antibacterial salve on the open sore. That spot is healed but now when I take the collar off he is doing it again. Anyone have any ideas why he might be doing this?

Thanks.
Dan

Answers:

Cat Scratching His Neck

He may have some sort of an allergy. Get him to the vet because it could become infected and then you'd have a whole other problem and he could get really sick. (09/08/2005)

By Maryeileen

Cat Scratching His Neck

My cat was scratching and chewing his front and back legs in the same way (no pests). The vet concluded he is either allergic to something, or he is stressed out. Try de-stressing your cat, especially if you just moved or someone new is living there or something like that.

Also think about whether you might be feeding your cat something new, or maybe you brought in a new piece of furniture or clothes recently that may be made of something or have something in it that he is allergic to (maybe something as strange a throw cushion from a house with a dog, and the dog's dander is still in the cushion -- that's what it was for my cat!!) (09/08/2005)

By

Cat Scratching His Neck

My cat suffers from Feline Acne and often scratches his neck to an opened wound. It is quite common among cats. My cats acne only acts up certain times of the year, under his chin, on his little fluffy cheeks and around his neck. Hope this helps and good luck:) (09/09/2005)

By shedrivesz

Cat Scratching His Neck

Are the insides of his ears dirty? He may have ear mites. When my cat had ear mites he scratched his neck and shoulders raw. A good oatmeal pet shampoo may help him also, make sure it's one that's made to use on cats. (09/18/2005)

By wendy

Cat Scratching His Neck

Our cat does the same thing. Traced it back to fragrance in her litter (we switched brands and went to the cheaper clump kind). She is fine with non-fragrance and non baking-soda litter. (10/09/2007)

By John Smith

.

Cat Scratching His Neck

My cat is scratching her neck so much that she made holes in both sides of her neck, no fleas, not sure what it is. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, but my advice is to every one that wants to know how to keep the cat from ripping a hole back in it's neck (or make it bigger from the constant scratching). A sock doesn't work, and the cat's probably hot; and who wants a satellite disk around the cats neck?

It's simple, at your local Petsmart (or other pet store), there is a product that is sold to prevent your cat from clawing up the furniture, carpet, etc. that is made as an alternative for declawing your cat. In a nutshell,they are little rubber "caps" that are super glued on each one of the claws encasing them to prevent the sharp part from penetrating anything. (yes, it looks like the cat has French tips) well when she scratched holes in her neck, I said why not glue them on the back claws.

It worked, the wounds healed, but she hasn't stopped scratching at it, which is why she's going to the vet. The "caps" are harmless, but don't leave them on indefinitely, because the nail won't wear down like normal, and could grow in a circle pressing back into the paw , causing discomfort to the cat. To remove them simply cut off with nail clippers, but be careful you don't cut the cats "cuticle". So just keep a watch periodically for the cat to have pulled one or two off, just reapply the glue inside a cap, and stick it back on.

By the way, this process is simple with two people,one person holding the cat and the other person preparing the caps, one at a time, and then with one hand pressing the paw to reveal a nail, and using the other to slightly pinch the rubber cap top and bottom to spread the sides open to make it easier to push it all the way on quickly before the super glue sticks to the nail. Then pinch the sides onto the claw to ensure good adhesion.

It's helpful to have a little cat nip handy so when you hurry up and stress out the cat by messing with her feet, she forgets about it as soon as you get done, plus your supposed to hold the cat for five minutes after you glue on the last cap to allow it to dry, and so the cat doesn't pull them off right away.

Good luck with this step after already holding the cat for five minutes gluing stuff on it's feet. Do yourself a favor and buy the $2.00 cat nip while your getting the cat's "booties". (12/09/2007)

By Tim

Cat Scratching His Neck

Even if the cat's ears look clean, clean them with a q-tip gently and then put a pinch of boric acid powder in each ear. Do this twice a week and see if the cat stops scratching. Often if a cat has no fleas and is doing a lot of scratching for no obvious reason, ear mites may be the underlying cause. (09/19/2008)

By Spiritwolf

Cat Scratching His Neck

My cat has been scratching her neck for what seems like years now. She doesn't have fleas, and she doesn't have ear mites. Every year I mention this yet again to her vet during her annual visit, and every year he has no answer as to why she scratches. He says some cats just have sensitive skin. The scratching isn't constant, but it is usually fairly aggressive. It tends to bug me, possibly more than it does her. The amount of scratching is the same year round. Our home is pretty clean: litter box, food bowls, cat perches etc. about as clean as you're likely to find. Dust may be the only thing that ever collects more than a tiny bit. Who knows? (09/28/2008)

By Mel

Pets CatsFebruary 22, 2013
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
A woman in a white t-shirt grabbing her sore neck.
Avoiding Neck Strain
Making a Neck Pillow
Making a Neck Pillow
🎄