Browsing: Cat Scratching Its Neck

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cat Scratching Its Neck

If you kitty is scratching its neck, the first thing to do is try to determine the cause. This is a guide about a cat scratching its neck.

Cat Scratching Its Neck
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 8, 2011 Flag

How do I stop my cat from scratching all the skin off of her neck?

By Silver Cloud from Mississauga, ON, Canada

Best Answer

Hi. Aaahh, poor little Kirby. My cat had the same problem, and it ended up that she had allergies. She would scratch herself raw and be miserable. She needed to get allergy shots, and it helped. Good luck

Best Answer

I have a white cat about 2 years old. Last year he started scratching his neck raw! We tried everything. Food allergies, steroid shots, wrapped his neck, soft claws on his nails. Revolution. Finally, after changing vets, the only thing that worked was getting an antihistamine (we use chlorophenaramine) we bought 4mg pills (human pills) cut them in half and give him half a pill twice a day. in about a week completely stopped scratching! The other very important thing is to get a E-collar (at PetSmart) this will help raw spots heal faster. Also, if cat has gotten an infection because of dirt getting on wounds. They need an antibiotic for 2 weeks to a month.

Best Answer

Change food. Start with no food from grocery store pet food aisle. No corn wheat or soy. Cooking is good especially when you do some raw. Please google healthy kitty diet including raw. -- Itch? Athletes foot spray. If kitty is wild on this application, use the ointment. AFS even a good home treatment for ringworm. AFSpray cannot hurt your kitty. Takes the itch away, Could be fungus, but AFS kills lots of germs. Do not get in her eyes. Easy way to spray her is to wrap her, covering her head.

Hi Kokies, I hope you see this message. I have a cat that has very similar issues for the past 2 1/2 years, ever since I picked her up from the shelter where my aunt took her when my grandma got sick and couldn't care for her anymore. She never had ANY issues before, but now has itchy patches with a bump or two that causes her to scratch her neck bald. I have taken her to the vet dozens of times and got her an antibiotic and steroid shot that would last for a few months (up to 6 months) int he beginning, but now she has been going every 2 weeks for the past month and a half and she is getting worse. I am out of money now and don't know what I am going to do. But I am writing you because I am not sure your cat has allergies at all since the symptoms sound like something I just read in an article while trying to figure out what my cat has. It's a middle ear infection, which won't cause any secretions from the ears, but will cause ulcers on the eyes, scratching the ears and neck. You might want to ask your doctor about it. If it isn't treated properly, it will come and go with treatment. My vet said he recommends giving oral antibiotics and keep giving them to her until a week after all symptoms disappear. I am watching my cat wake up and scratch her neck as we speak, poor thing. She is declawed so it doesn't do the damage it would if she had claws. PLEASE ask you doctor about the middle ear infection and also, if he says it isn't that, ask about giving your cat the antibiotic treatment for a month or 2 until it all is completely healed. Prayers for our kitties, they are family! <3

February 15, 2013 Flag

Upside down sleeping cat.My little Dante just went into heat about 7 days ago. She is about 5 months old. We have four other cats that all live indoors only and span from thirteen years to three years old.

We live in the Sierra Nevada foot hills and my nearest neighbor is about 150 feet away from my house. Last night there was a fire at his house because he had a meth lab that that went up according to the fire department and the fire took out a lot of his house and property. The smoke was profuse and we were on alert to evacuate in case it crossed the fire lane separating the properties and if the smoke got too bad because it was a drug making operation.

She was in the carrier for over half the night along with her surrogate mother Betty who loves her dearly. The other cats were in their own carriers. I an unsure if she is having a reaction from the stress from last night, the smoke from the meth lab, from her being in heat, or if she had started having an unexplained allergy and I don't know what to do! I cannot afford to take her to the vet right away until I get my taxes back. Please help with my question, Thank you very much.

By Lederofcola from Auberry, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I really don't feel that Lizzyanny was being judgemental in any way. She was simply trying to stress how important it was to see a vet because of all that was going on and the many things that could be causing the scratching. So many pet owners would not have realized the importance of that and she was just offering advice. Thankfully you are one of those owners who does know how important it can be and you did the right thing. I hope everything turns around for you now. God Bless you both.

I feel badly for your situation. I think it will be difficult for anyone but a Vet to determine what is causing you cats distress. As for waiting to see a Vet; if your cat has been affected by the smoke from the meth fire, you really need to have her see a Vet asap. Good luck to you.

The reason I do not have money right now is because it took all of my money to leave for the night and the next day which was very expensive and took my savings. I normally would have money to attend to my animals but due to the emergency I was financially tapped out. You should not judge people because of their finances at the time. It is not right.

I have actually borrowed money from my family and took her to the vet and the vet said that it is from the stress of being in heat and from us being stressed out as well causing a stress chain reaction that in turn make her scratch like crazy. She gave her antibiotics and a shot for pain and to calm her down. So please do not judge people it is not cool. I was just asking for advice not for a judgement.

February 4, 2016 Flag

My cat had a collar on for about 2 months, but ripped it off. Now he has scratch marks all over his neck! He also has a really bad scratch on his face and is always scratching at it. I have another cat and they're not the best of friends, so I don't know whether it's related to that (stress) or something else. I would really like some help because it's always bleeding and I'm scared it will get infected.

It is very hard to say what caused the scratches. He may have an allergy. Cats can get a type of skin cancer (usually easy to cure). A scratch that doesn't heal would send me to the vet right away.

The scratches could be infected. Cats get fecal residue on their feet when they go to the litterbox. Then they scratch themselves. If he got scratched fighting with the other cat infection can result.

I'd try triple antibiotic ointment, though he'll probably lick it off. Watch for a few days and if it doesn't seem to be helping take him to the vet.

November 5, 2015 Flag

I just moved to a new apartment a few months ago so it could easily be allergies. My cat is scratching her neck, I haven't looked closely at it, but it feels like the little scabs she had all over her skin when she had fleas. I am a poor college kid so I'm trying to figure out what it is without taking her to the vet, but I feel like it's about time to go to the vet anyway. When she did have the scabs all over her body I decided it was flea bite sensitivity, I treated her for fleas. Everything went away, but around her neck. She is still eating fine and acting like herself, but she is scratching her neck like crazy. I don't know if I should worry about her or just wait and see if it just goes away since she's acting fine.

Something is definitely bothering your cat and it probably won't disappear on it's own. Please take her to the vet ASAP. Delay may only worsen the problem and your cat is obviously suffering.

July 25, 2011 Flag

White cat laying on a couch.My cat has very itchy skin around his neck ever since he had to wear an Elizabethan collar post-op. A cortisone injection cleared up the itchy scabs, but now they've come back, and the poor old boy is scratching a lot. Is there an alternative to cortisone to ease his itching skin?

By Debera from Australia

Hello,

Yes! there is another medication that your Veterinarian can give you. Please give him/her a call and ask. Good luck. If you cat wears a collar, please take it off, and make sure you use flea prevention.

No grocery aisle commercial cat food. Usual first ingredient is corn. BIG allergen to cats and dogs along with wheat and soy fillers. I am a firm believer in Nzymes granules. Container will last a very long time. Builds immune system. Helps skin, digestion, allergies, joints and general health. Kitty food, best i have found besides raw diet along with Evo. While more expensive, pets eat less of it because they are satisfied and not gobbling fillers. Nzymes help with the raw diet change. I can't say enough about what a help Nzymes is. No, I don't sell it or profit in any way. Just enjoy helping animals and their comfort and health. If you have fleas, they must be eliminated. 20 mule team Borax, dry into carpets, cedercide in yard areas. Please no more chemicals, no pharma, no vaccines, no suffering. Build the immune system, do not destroy it.

Give him a bath on the original CAREX (blue) it really works.

Best of luck.

Olivia.

Thank you muttmom. Where can I get all these natural ingredients in England?

Load More
Pets CatsFebruary 22, 2013
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
A woman in a white t-shirt grabbing her sore neck.
Avoiding Neck Strain
Making a Neck Pillow
Making a Neck Pillow
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 30, 2016 at 5:14:19 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.