Cat Started Scratching Her Neck

My cat, Domino, has started to scratch off the skin on her neck since my other cat passed. Literally the day she passed, Domino started scratching and I've put all different types of cream on and nothing seems to help. Could this be stress? Or is it just an allergy?

It sounds like stress to me. You may have to put a cone on her.

So sorry for the loss of your fur baby. Sounds like your other fur baby is mourning. They are people too.

Check with your vet. Describe what is happening and they can give you options for resolving.

If you don't have a vet, the local humane society or local cat rescue can often give you a reference and may even be able to help at a reduced or no cost (although our vet often gives us help over the phone for free....I think we are just very lucky to be blessed with such an amazing clinic).

Getting over a loss takes time...so be easy on yourself and your fur child!! I bet lots of rubs and treats would go a long way too!!

This is one of those tough ones because it could be a lot of different things. It could be stress, it could be a new skin condition. Most likely you will need to try what works and what doesn't. It sounds like you are already trying creams. I would take a few days and try what is easy, and if it doesn't solve the problem, or it gets worse you will need to see your Vet. I would start with stress. Look for signs of what may upset her. Loud music, barking dogs.

Make sure she has a comfy place up high where she feels safe. I have been amazed at how music affects my cats. They love the Enya, flute mood music played very softly. Maybe a quiet room with music where she can get away. Then I would make sure she gets lots of attention and play. Maybe some new toys and special treats. If she isn't perking up in a couple weeks I would see the Vet. They have good medications now for moods problems in cats. But she just may have to get through this mourning to be her old self.