Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

Is there any way to get cat urine out of a leather sofa without ruining it?

Denice from Texas

Answers:

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I would call a furniture store and ask them, or perhaps a pet store or better yet, a vet's office (05/02/2005)

By MrsMoted2

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I wish you the best of luck with any posts you get with ideas on how to solve the smell issue. First, know that the urine has most likely penetrated your foam cushions. Ours was saturated as we were on vacation when the urinating occurred. So this is what we did that helped until we could get another couch (and this sounds like a lot of work, which it was, and it sounds kind of cheesy but the couch was very expensive to replace): we bought Simple Solution from Petsmart (this works really great for smells caught immediately).

We took out the foam cushions, poured Simple Solution on them (outside as this is a messy job). We allowed it to dry. This took about two days. The smell was still there but not as strong as it was. We didn't want the cat to do it again so we took some trash bags and duct tape and wrapped the cushions up (air tight, so to speak) put them back in the leather seat covers and covered the entire couch with a plastic shower curtains. We removed the shower curtains when we wanted to sit down but anytime we were not around for more than five minutes, we put it back on.

When we sat on the cushions, there was a rattling sound from within from the bags and they were kind of puffy. When guests came over we had them sit elsewhere because there was still the faintest of faint urine smells that wafted up from the crevices of the couch.

BUT, we were able to get a decent couch from a family member a few months later and as much as it hurt me, we threw away the ruined couch. I'm certain if this had happened while we were home, we would have gotten the odor out and my beloved leather and expensive leather sofa would still be in my living room.

We learned a valuable lesson: we love the cat but now we keep everything covered in plastic shower curtains when we are not around (beds, furniture, fabric chairs, etc.). She's old and has kidney failure (which started when we were on vacation for ten days and the pet sitter didn't notice any odd behavior or smells). They are not pretty to look at but as soon as I come home or company is arriving, the shower curtains leave the room and the house is pretty again :)

Good luck to you and sorry my post wasn't a positive outcome but remember to appreciate what you have instead of having remorse for the things you don't -- we still have our kitty and she's doing so much better :) (05/03/2005)

By Melissa W.

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I washed my leather couch down with water and about a fourth cup of bleach. Then I dried it off, washed it with water and pine sol and after all this I wiped it down with lemon juice. Then I rubbed baby oil on it to bring back the shine and this got rid of the cat urine smell. (03/02/2007)

By bretania

Cat Urine on Leather Sofa

I would try Nature's Miracle - that was recommended by our vet and seems to work on the rug. I'm not sure if it is safe to use on leather though. (12/26/2007)

By

Cat Urine on Leather Furniture
3 cats on a leather couch
Leather Couch Bleached By Cat Urine
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
End of a leather sofa with a lapton on seat.
Cleaning a Leather Sofa
🎉
🎄