Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Changing a Furnace Filter

Furnace Filter

To keep your furnace running as efficiently as possible, it is important to regularly change the air filter. This guide is about changing a furnace filter.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Changing Your Furnace Filter

I could never remember for sure when I changed my A/C furnace filter, so now I write the date I need to replace it on the filter with a permanent marker. Works great! No more trying to remember!

By Barbara from Columbia, KY

Tip: Furnace Filter Tips

Save on heating/cooling costs by maintaining your air filter. A heating system repairman told me to use the cheapest, blue filter, and to change it at least monthly or when soiled. He told me this would let the air conditioning motor work much more easily, saving electricity and extending the life of the air conditioner.

If you have a 14x20 inch opening, you can buy a 30x20 inch filter and make 2 from them. Get the wire-supported corrugated white filter. Cut the supporting cardboard at 15 inches. Cut the filter to size, and fold the cardboard supports back 1 inch to support the filter. Make sure the edge meets the opening. Now you have 2 filters.

By Nance from Statesboro, GA

Tip: Keep Your Furnace Filters Clean

To save on your electric bill and to make your air conditioner compressor last longer, keep your furnace filters clean. We put a post-it note on the furnace door with the date we last cleaned them.

By Terri H.

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Changing a Furnace Filter.

Question: Changing a Furnace Filter

My furnace filter is between the furnace and the humidifier. The filter is installed upright. Should the arrow point to the furnace or to the humidifier? I don't know where the furnace blower is.

By Jean H.

Most Recent Answer

By Beth01/08/2014

The arrow goes in the direction of the air flow.

Question: How Do I Change a Furnace Filter?

I don't know how to change my furnace filter. What do I do?

By Sharon from Cudahy, WI

Most Recent Answer

By Ann [848]04/04/2011

There's a 'door' on one of the sides of the furnace itself. Open that and you'll easily be able to figure out how to slide the filter out. Check the measurement written on the filter edges so you'll know exactly what size to buy to replace the old one.

Question: How Often Should You Change Your Furnace Filter?

I'm hoping someone can settle a dispute between my husband and I. I really just want him to see it in print, then maybe it'll sink in. How often does everyone change their furnace filter during the winter months? He changes ours twice a year and really honestly believes that it is often enough. I say it should be every month during November to April. What do you think? I'll show him all responses.

Thank you.
Sandy from Pittsburgh, PA

Most Recent Answer

By Jeff Swanson04/18/2013

It really depends on the type of filter you are using. Some should be changed once a month while others should be changed once every three months. There are also a variety of air filters out there including: HEPA, Ionic, Carbon and UV Light. For more information, check out this article:

http://www.allstate.com/tools-and-r ... nsurance/change-home-air-filter.aspx