Cleaning ChapStick Stains on Clothing

Sometimes we accidentally get ChapStick stains on our clothing. This is a guide about cleaning ChapStick stains on clothing.

April 2, 2016 Flag

My daughter has a polyester blend hoodie that she washed with a Chapstick in it. Now the white part of the hoodie has pink stains from the Chapstick. I washed it with Spray and Wash and it didn't come out. Any suggestions?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Just put baking soda onto a toothbrush and scrub the stain until it gets lighter and lighter until you don't see the stain anymore.

October 20, 2011 Flag

I washed clothes and I found that I accidentally left ChapStick in a pocket. The cap came off and it got on all of the clothes. How do I get this ChapStick stain off of the clothes?

By JP

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

This is going to sound crazy - but we have scrubbed it out with shampoo - works every time!

If there are only blotches or little sections try spraying hairspray and leaving it 10 - 15 minutes then dab it off. ^.^ Hope it helps.

Was it dry up chapstick

March 25, 2010 Flag

My granddaughter smeared red ChapStick over a large area of my ivory colored bed quilt. How do I remove this without damaging my quilt?

By Pat from Baltimore, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

OMG! I knew I was keeping an old email (2004) for a reason! My younger son washed and dried a load of his laundry with his chapstick in a pocket, so I

contacted their company and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Chap Stick® Lip Moisturizer. We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate staining incident with this product. Listed below are some suggestions regarding stain removal. A local commercial dry cleaner may be able to offer you additional suggestions based on the fabric type of the garments. Before using any of the following suggestions, we recommend testing the fabric in a small, inconspicuous area.

We have found that Chap Stick stains can usually be removed by washing the individual spots using a standard degreasing agent such as waterless hand cleaner, toluene (found at hardware stores), or lighter fluid. When doing this, place a paper towel or an absorbent material underneath to absorb the stain and prevent it from bleeding to the other side of the garment. After doing this, spray with Wisk and rub or dab the stain continuously for five minutes and then rinse with hot water. Repeat if necessary.

Another alternative would be to use white blotting paper and press with a warm iron, changing the paper as needed. Pour hot water through the stain, allow to dry and then flush with Afta or Carbona Cleaning Fluid. These items should be available at your local grocery or retail stores. We hope these suggestions will be useful to you. Good luck to you on this!

Hand sanitizer gel removes black eyelash dye stain on cream curtains! I am sure it would make short work of a chap stick stain! In the UK I buy my travel size for 47p in the supermarket. Good luck, Monique :)

If the above doesn't work. Relax it is just a quilt. And the stains will serve as a reminder of how lucky you are to have a granddaughter. "Things" don't matter, people do. GG Vi

August 10, 2011 Flag

My daughter has a shirt that went through the dryer with chapstick in the pocket. It got all over the shirt. Does anyone have an idea of how to get the chapstick out of the shirt?

By Sharon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My son forgets to take his out of his pants pockets... nasty, oily, greasy stains! I use the OxiClean gel that comes in a tube-like thing. When I find a load of laundry that "got oiled" I run the whole load again with oxi clean in the washer with detergent, and pre-treat as many of the spots with the oxi0clean gel stuff as possible.

I do NOT put the second-washed load in the dryer until I've checked the oiled spots to see if they came out. If they came out, into the dryer that item goes. If it did not come out, it gets hung to dry and re-treated, ad nauseum. I am getting better at checking all the pockets, but I still miss one now and then.

Well I have to buy Stainless Steel from the store, and sock it with laundry detergent and water and then scrub it, and put the Stainless Steel on it, and it should come out...

March 29, 2010 Flag

How do you remove a Chapstick stain on clothes?

By Nashelle from Kansas City, MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

ChapStik is essentially oil and wax. Put layers of newsprint or brown paper bags on the front and back of the stain and use a warm iron to heat this moving the top paper around a bit to soak up as much of the chapstik as you can.

Then treat what's left of the stain as if it were any other oil stain:

spray n wash, dish washing liquid (start around the outside of the stain and work your way into the middle with an old tooth brush or your finger nail; be gentle) or whatever method you prefer. Wash as usual. This should do it. You might have to treat the stain a couple times.

May 29, 2006 Flag

My granddaughter left her bright pink chapstick in her pants pocket. (Colored clothes load). It wasn't discovered until the load had already been dried (in the dryer). Is there any way to get pink chapstick stains out of colored clothes that have already been through the dryer?

Sure would appreciate any help you can offer!

Carol from Chicago, IL

Answers:
Chapstick Stains on Clothing 05/29/2006
I'd try Goo Gone. I used it to remove vegetable oil mixed with oil paint (don't ask!) off shirts that had been washed and dried multiple times.
By (Guest Post)
Chapstick Stains on Clothing 06/01/2006
My old standby is good old Dawn dishwashing liquid--not any of their fancy mutations, just the original.
Good luck--will you let us know what works?
By babz16
Chapstick Stains on Clothing 06/03/2006
I have had good luck with the Spray N Wash brand "Stain Stick." Put in on and let it sit several DAYS and wash as usual. It is very good at taking out greasy spots set in by a dryer.
By Jill from Iowa (Guest Post)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Use the dawn Platinum. Gone, gone, gone.

March 29, 2010 Flag

A ChapStick went through the washer and dryer and made oil marks on spandex material clothes. How do I remove this? Do I send the clothes through the washer and dryer several times?

By kfoster1 from Cleveland, OH

Answers:

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I'd try Goo Gone. I used it to remove vegetable oil mixed with oil paint (don't ask) off shirts that had been washed and dried multiple times. (05/29/2006)

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

Multiple times has this happened to me. Even baby food like carrots or darker baby food. The answer really is:
"The Stain Stick" it helps a lot. (07/04/2008)

By _ali_49

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

Butane or lighter fluid that you use in lighters did the trick for me. Basically I took the butane and spot treated each article of clothing using two paper towels, one on each side of the garment, to absorb the excess fluid. I then threw it in the wash right away. You can purchase a bottle of butane at any major grocery store. d (10/22/2008)

By Dave

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I scrubbed the stains with Dawn liquid soap and then with a stain stick, washed soon after and it worked. It came out of denim, cotton, and white scrub tops. (01/09/2009)

By Vicki from St Louis

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I had the same thing happen to me too many times to count. Something I have found to work is Pine-Sol, like you clean with. I had tried everything one day and read the label on the Pine-sol and believe it or not it's for laundry as well. I poured full strength on the stain and let it sit an hour or so and it took it right out. (02/11/2009)

By Holly M.

ChapStick Stains on Clothing

I'd use WD-40 first, applying gently and rubbing with old toothbrush, then applying 20 Mule team Borax to the spot overnight, next day washing in warm water only after brushing the dried borax off. I believe you will have the best luck with this method. God bless and help you. (01/16/2010)

By lyndagayle62

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Old fashioned Laundry Bar Soap (I used SUNLIGHT) Rub on affected area I used a nail brush to get the soap into the fabric after I soaked in extremely hot water. Rinse and "voila". ( I forgot to remove a Burts Bees colored chapstick from the pocket of a white shirt.) Now my white shirt is completely white again no pink waxy spots

January 4, 2010 Flag

I accidentally washed and dried a chap stick tube with my colored clothes. Now my really nice shirts have spots everywhere. How can I get rid of these grease stains?

Yasra

Answers:

Chap Stick Stains on Clothing

I had the same problem a while back. My best friend told me to use a mild color free and odor free soap, such as Ivory, and cold water. It takes a little work, but all the chap stick comes out! To boot, I didn't have to buy 7 new white shirts for my husband either! (03/03/2009)

By assvamp

Chap Stick Stains on Clothing

For any kind of grease stain, use Palmolive dish detergent. I just put a little on each stain, rub together, and throw it in the wash! It has been wonderful saving all my clothes (and especially kids' clothes) that have grease stains like chap stick. (03/04/2009)

By Acb0705

Chap Stick Stains on Clothing

Dawn dish liquid is GREAT on oil stains. (03/10/2009)

By tambri

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 19, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 20, 2012
sweat stain on dark clothing
Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
🎉
🎄