Browsing: ChapStick Stains on Clothing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

ChapStick Stains on Clothing

Sometimes we accidentally get ChapStick stains on our clothing. This is a guide about ChapStick stains on clothing.

A young man putting on chapstick.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 20, 2011 Flag

I washed clothes and I found that I accidentally left ChapStick in a pocket. The cap came off and it got on all of the clothes. How do I get this ChapStick stain off of the clothes?

By JP

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If there are only blotches or little sections try spraying hairspray and leaving it 10 - 15 minutes then dab it off. ^.^ Hope it helps.

March 25, 2010 Flag

My granddaughter smeared red ChapStick over a large area of my ivory colored bed quilt. How do I remove this without damaging my quilt?

By Pat from Baltimore, MD

OMG! I knew I was keeping an old email (2004) for a reason! My younger son washed and dried a load of his laundry with his chapstick in a pocket, so I

contacted their company and this is what they said:

Thank you for contacting us regarding Chap Stick® Lip Moisturizer. We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate staining incident with this product. Listed below are some suggestions regarding stain removal. A local commercial dry cleaner may be able to offer you additional suggestions based on the fabric type of the garments. Before using any of the following suggestions, we recommend testing the fabric in a small, inconspicuous area.

We have found that Chap Stick stains can usually be removed by washing the individual spots using a standard degreasing agent such as waterless hand cleaner, toluene (found at hardware stores), or lighter fluid. When doing this, place a paper towel or an absorbent material underneath to absorb the stain and prevent it from bleeding to the other side of the garment. After doing this, spray with Wisk and rub or dab the stain continuously for five minutes and then rinse with hot water. Repeat if necessary.

Another alternative would be to use white blotting paper and press with a warm iron, changing the paper as needed. Pour hot water through the stain, allow to dry and then flush with Afta or Carbona Cleaning Fluid. These items should be available at your local grocery or retail stores. We hope these suggestions will be useful to you. Good luck to you on this!

Hand sanitizer gel removes black eyelash dye stain on cream curtains! I am sure it would make short work of a chap stick stain! In the UK I buy my travel size for 47p in the supermarket. Good luck, Monique :)

If the above doesn't work. Relax it is just a quilt. And the stains will serve as a reminder of how lucky you are to have a granddaughter. "Things" don't matter, people do. GG Vi

August 10, 2011 Flag

My daughter has a shirt that went through the dryer with chapstick in the pocket. It got all over the shirt. Does anyone have an idea of how to get the chapstick out of the shirt?

By Sharon

My son forgets to take his out of his pants pockets... nasty, oily, greasy stains! I use the OxiClean gel that comes in a tube-like thing. When I find a load of laundry that "got oiled" I run the whole load again with oxi clean in the washer with detergent, and pre-treat as many of the spots with the oxi0clean gel stuff as possible.

I do NOT put the second-washed load in the dryer until I've checked the oiled spots to see if they came out. If they came out, into the dryer that item goes. If it did not come out, it gets hung to dry and re-treated, ad nauseum. I am getting better at checking all the pockets, but I still miss one now and then.

March 29, 2010 Flag

How do you remove a Chapstick stain on clothes?

By Nashelle from Kansas City, MO

ChapStik is essentially oil and wax. Put layers of newsprint or brown paper bags on the front and back of the stain and use a warm iron to heat this moving the top paper around a bit to soak up as much of the chapstik as you can.

Then treat what's left of the stain as if it were any other oil stain:

pray n wash, dish washing liquid (start around the outside of the stain and work your way into the middle with an old tooth brush or your finger nail; be gentle) or whatever method you prefer. Wash as usual. This should do it. You might have to treat the stain a couple times.

March 29, 2010 Flag

A ChapStick went through the washer and dryer and made oil marks on spandex material clothes. How do I remove this? Do I send the clothes through the washer and dryer several times?

By kfoster1 from Cleveland, OH

Answers:

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I'd try Goo Gone. I used it to remove vegetable oil mixed with oil paint (don't ask) off shirts that had been washed and dried multiple times. (05/29/2006)

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

Multiple times has this happened to me. Even baby food like carrots or darker baby food. The answer really is:
"The Stain Stick" it helps a lot. (07/04/2008)

By _ali_49

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

Butane or lighter fluid that you use in lighters did the trick for me. Basically I took the butane and spot treated each article of clothing using two paper towels, one on each side of the garment, to absorb the excess fluid. I then threw it in the wash right away. You can purchase a bottle of butane at any major grocery store. d (10/22/2008)

By Dave

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I scrubbed the stains with Dawn liquid soap and then with a stain stick, washed soon after and it worked. It came out of denim, cotton, and white scrub tops. (01/09/2009)

By Vicki from St Louis

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I had the same thing happen to me too many times to count. Something I have found to work is Pine-Sol, like you clean with. I had tried everything one day and read the label on the Pine-sol and believe it or not it's for laundry as well. I poured full strength on the stain and let it sit an hour or so and it took it right out. (02/11/2009)

By Holly M.

ChapStick Stains on Clothing

I'd use WD-40 first, applying gently and rubbing with old toothbrush, then applying 20 Mule team Borax to the spot overnight, next day washing in warm water only after brushing the dried borax off. I believe you will have the best luck with this method. God bless and help you. (01/16/2010)

By lyndagayle62

January 4, 2010 Flag

I accidentally washed and dried a chap stick tube with my colored clothes. Now my really nice shirts have spots everywhere. How can I get rid of these grease stains?

Yasra

Answers:

Chap Stick Stains on Clothing

I had the same problem a while back. My best friend told me to use a mild color free and odor free soap, such as Ivory, and cold water. It takes a little work, but all the chap stick comes out! To boot, I didn't have to buy 7 new white shirts for my husband either! (03/03/2009)

By assvamp

Chap Stick Stains on Clothing

For any kind of grease stain, use Palmolive dish detergent. I just put a little on each stain, rub together, and throw it in the wash! It has been wonderful saving all my clothes (and especially kids' clothes) that have grease stains like chap stick. (03/04/2009)

By Acb0705

Chap Stick Stains on Clothing

Dawn dish liquid is GREAT on oil stains. (03/10/2009)

By tambri

December 19, 2006 Flag

How do I get out chap stick that has been washed and dried out of clothes?

Kate from Maryland

Answers:

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

Ammonia will usually take out any oily/greasy stain. Also a product mentioned here several times, Awesome (get it at the dollar store), shampoo, fels naptha, all work well for me. Of course, not wanting to rewash the item again if any doesn't work, I use all the above at once to make sure! Never fails. (06/16/2006)

Chapstick Stains on Clothing

I have gotten washed/dried lipstick out with a combo of ammonia/borax. Also, there are spot removers specifically made for grease and fat type stains. (06/16/2006)

May 29, 2006 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 20, 2012
sweat stain on dark clothing
Removing Underarm Sweat Stains from Clothing
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Baby being fed with formula.
Removing Baby Formula Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:56:33 AM on 10.0.0.242 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.